News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Show Me Subtlety
« on: May 07, 2012, 09:55:12 AM »
We use the word "subtle" a lot, most especially me, however, I wonder if we all really think one man's subtlety is the same as another man's subtlety.  Below are some photos which I would like folks to decide if they are subtle or not.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Show Me Subtlety
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 10:53:06 AM »
Sean, I am not at my computer so I can't post a picture, but I can think of some holes hole that sometimes first time players don't get because of their subtlety. One  of them is the third hole at Four Streams. It is a 470 par four with two bunkers fronting the left part of the green.  They are about twenty yards short of the green.  There is a grassed valley between the bunkers and the green that will eat up a ball that doesn't fly all the way to the green but does provide an easy up and down. To the right of the bunkers is a right to left slope that allows a player, like me who can't fly it all the way, to hit a run up shot.  But it is pretty tight so the shot needs to be precise.  It is one of my favorite holes at the club. It doesn't knock your socks off like other holes but the variety of shots to green makes the hole wonderful to play.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 02:44:36 PM »
Sean

3, 5, 9, 10, and 17 are jumping out at me, not so much the rest.

14 and 15 look just plain penal...don't miss left or right, straight only.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 04:10:19 PM »
5 is the only one that doesn't look too subtle to me.  All the rest have that "close to the ground" look that I love on courses in the UK.

Is #14 at Alwoodley?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 05:26:52 PM »
I've tried to post three times on this thread with pictures, explanations, and the whole nine yards.  But the dog-gone thing keeps locking up.  Scrub it...here are the photos and nothing else.   >:(

14 Lane Creek

11 Cuscowilla

TOC 5

Balcomie 1 from the side

6 Maidstone

8 Rivermont

5 Rivermont
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 06:18:30 PM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 06:08:56 PM »
Mac,

That isn't the first at Balcomie, looks like the 3rd to me.  I think the third at Balcomie is an absolutely cracking hole but have to say that subtle isn't the word I'd use to describe it.

Sean,

I'm not sure that subtle architecture would be visible in a photograph?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 06:12:33 PM »
Mark...my bad.  I must have bad labels on my photos.  

In one of the multiple editions of the post I tried to put up, I pointed out how 1 green sloped away from the angle of play.  I found that be a subtle defense of the hole, especially for Colin Macqueen.   ;D

Also, Mark, in relation to your comment to Sean...that was the gist of my original 3 posts.  If you haven't played the holes, it will be hard to pick up on the subtleties of them in photos.  Which is why I previously had descriptions of the photos/holes I posted.  Aargh!!!   >:(

EDIT...Mark, I updated that photo.  Thanks for pointing that out.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 06:19:05 PM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 07:19:05 PM »
Mac,

That isn't the first at Balcomie, looks like the 3rd to me.  I think the third at Balcomie is an absolutely cracking hole but have to say that subtle isn't the word I'd use to describe it.

Mark, isn't that the boathouse behind the green at Crail?   I don't remember one of those at the third, but I might have already been nervous about the tee shots at 4 and 5!

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 07:49:50 PM »
Sean, how are you (or anyone) defining subtle as it relates to architecture?

To me, subtle cannot be identified in a picture.  Subtle comes out on repeated plays.  Play a golf course 50 times and learn something new on the 50th time -- that's subtle architecture. 

Bill_Yates

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 08:36:58 PM »
Mark
I agree.

Most of the time you can't see "subtlety" from a picture, you have to walk it, feel it, experience it, and DISCOVER it.  It's, how should I say it?  IT'S SUBTLE!!!
Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 
"When you manage the pace of play, you manage the quality of golf."

Mark Pearce

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 12:25:32 AM »
Mac,

I agree, the first is a hole where you have most likely a wedge or partial wedge for a second but it's so difficult to get it close because the green does, albeit gently, run away from you.  And that, I agree, is subtle.

Bill,

Yes, that's the boathouse by the first.  Mac has changed his post to put the correct picture there.

Actually, I thinking about it, think Balcomie has a very generous share of subtlety.  1, as Mac points out, 2, a hole where a series of safe shots leads to a far tougher par than the brave options, 4 and 5 both have greens that look flat but aren't, 7 has a "flat" green that runs away, 15 has a green that runs away, despite being drivable and 17 is a tougher green than it looks

Rich Goodale

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 05:05:21 AM »
Mark

You and Bill are right.  Sometimes a picture is worth far, far less than 1000 words, particularly if you are trying to infer subtlety from 2D pixilated images!
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 07:26:45 AM »

If only the faithful could really see the ground they play upon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back