News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Harshbarger

Golf Course Feng Shui
« on: April 10, 2012, 10:48:26 PM »
Not a new, but not a regular topic here is Feng shui.  There have been a few threads to ask what courses have the FS, but here the question is, what are the principles of Feng Shui when it comes to golf course architecture. 

For this topic, Feng Shui is a set of design prescriptions based on observations of human subconscious behaviors to elements of their environment.  Rooms with protruding corners where we walk cause anxiety over running into them.  Placing valuables in rooms not directly accessible to entrances engenders security. 

In golf, are there subconscious reactions to various architectural elements that work in some configurations, but not others?  Can these be codified?  Has anyone done so, well?  What examples do you have, positive and negative, of Feng Shui at work?  Are there examples where good Feng Shui runs counter to good golf?
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Joel_Stewart

Re: Golf Course Feng Shui
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 10:53:37 PM »
Maybe Amen corner.  Lowest point on the property, runs along the creek.

archie_struthers

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 06:49:55 AM »
 :D ;) :)

Curved not hard edges or sharp doglegs come to mind. How about the orientation of the driving range and 1st and 18th holes. They all require study.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:55:11 AM by archie_struthers »

David_Elvins

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 07:14:19 AM »
The first tee should be near the clubhouse. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

David Harshbarger

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 07:56:39 AM »
David, I'll go one further and say their should be a clear physical transition between the public spaces like the parking lot and driveway and the first tee. This is the same effect you get when crossing into a stadium, for instance, or a park, where clear physical and visual dileneations reinforce the suspension of disbelief.

Of all the forces of sha, roads might be right at the top.  Playing along or having to cross a busy road draws your attention, introduces physical threats, and introduces the fear of breaking property.

Houses close to playing lines have a similar effect, concern about breaking property, or, violating property boundaries to retrieve one's own property. They also introduce the unwelcome feeling of being watched.

Good Feng shui comes on first holes that dogleg out of sight.  It is a great feeling for the first hole to complete the transition from public to golf space,

Other positives are tee shots to wide open fairways, where we exercise our muscles.  Fairways and greens that carry the ball around, as it brings a sense of delight, and clear, not cloudy water, so your frustration with hitting water can be softened by finding your ball.

The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 08:15:58 AM »
I asked my Chinese client about this and he thought it would be far too restrictive on the golf course if we had a feng shui consultant advise on the design.

The first element would be the clubhouse location ... it would have to face south, which would be damned hard to do [not to mention silly] on the northernmost point of Hainan Island.

Jackson C

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 09:39:02 AM »
I asked my Chinese client about this and he thought it would be far too restrictive on the golf course if we had a feng shui consultant advise on the design.

The first element would be the clubhouse location ... it would have to face south, which would be damned hard to do [not to mention silly] on the northernmost point of Hainan Island.

The entrance could face south if the back of the club house is a wall of windows overlooking the course and ocean.  Could be possible on that property?
"The secrets that golf reveals to the game's best are secrets those players must discover for themselves."
Christy O'Connor, Sr. (1998)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back