News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Cullen!
« on: March 29, 2012, 01:35:44 PM »
Occasionally I'll pan Scotland using Google Earth.  That's how I found Cullen Golf Club.  Haven't been there but I can't fathom a better place where the sea, mother nature, golf and the town are more harmonious (my current screen saver):

Closer:

To boot, there's some serious quirk courtesy of rock formations:

4610 yards, par 63.
Credited to Old Tom Morris in 1870
Perhaps originally 9 holes based upon a routing provided by Niall Carlton on Ed Oden's routings thread.  If so the additional holes were added to the west incorporating the rock formations.

Who's played it and would I be mistaken to spend a couple of days in this lovely village when I make my great pilgramage in 6 years?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 01:44:43 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

David_Tepper

Re: Cullen!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 01:44:14 PM »
One of our dear Mr. Spode's favorite courses! ;)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 02:55:50 PM »
It looks like it could be a happy place for one and all.  I am glad to see Bogie is not letting the lack of making loans keep him from having a productive day.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 03:02:35 PM »
Sadly, I skipped past Cullen in my year overseas because the weather was foul and I was anxious to get on to Cruden Bay.

I did send a couple of my interns up there last summer.  Their report:  it's the quirkiest course in the world, with blind par-3's and double-crossovers.  You might want to wear a hard hat ... or at least keep your sense of humor ... but they recommend it highly.

Frank Pont

Mark Bourgeois

James Boon

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 03:21:32 PM »
The more I see of this course, the more I realise I'll need to head out that way next time I'm north of the border. It looks like its real competition with Painswick I'd say, for quirkiest but also most fun course in Britain?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 03:45:32 PM »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 03:48:13 PM »
Great pictures Frank.  Thank you.

For the life of me I can't figure out the routing from the aerial.

Mike

James Boon

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 03:55:42 PM »
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 04:55:45 PM »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 05:01:56 PM »
Don't forget your helmet!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 05:03:15 PM »
Don't forget your helmet!

Isn't that 15, 16, and 18 a beaut of a configuration?!?!?!?!?!?

Benny Hillard

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 05:40:34 PM »
I played Cullen last year. I had heaps of fun!
The routing is definitely creative and there are some cracking holes.

I don't know about spending two days there - cos there is so much good golf not too far from there.
The beauty is that it's a quite course and you could easily play 36 there and drive to your next destination in a day.

I tried to write one word or expression to describe how each hole looked form the tee:
Slow, wow, really?, cool, simple, cooler, crazy, ok, meh, nice, sexy, what?, WHAT?, ok, classunky (mix of classic and funky), solid, ok and meh.

Benny

Mike Hendren

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 05:51:37 PM »
Thanks Garland.  It was the 16th and 17th that threw me off.

Mike

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 05:54:27 PM »
"Isn't that 15, 16, and 18 a beaut of a configuration?!?!?!?!?!?"

Garland -

Somehow the words "shooting gallery" come to mind.

DT

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 07:57:39 PM »
That is the wildest routing I have ever seen.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 11:36:13 AM »
Amazingly, I went back to the club website, and the layout was there all the time. I spent a bit of time figuring it out, which I didn't need to do if I had explored the website a bit more.

http://www.cullengolfclub.co.uk/photos.htm

Phil McDade

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 12:25:15 PM »
Bogey:

Go -- by all means, go! Two days would be fun, for reasons I'll explain.

Cullen was one of the real highlights of my lone trip to Scotland. Full of quirk, an easy walk, a round that won't last two hours (so you can play it several times a day if you want), a warm and inviting clubhouse, local folks who are genuinely pleased to see someone from our side of the ocean visit their small, often bypassed burg. The honorary president of the club is the The Right Honourable The Earl of Seafield -- how bad can it be?

In truth, there is a bit of mundane-ness to parts of the course. After the straightforward opener, the 2nd is a par 3 "up and over" shot that takes you to an almost meadow-like portion of the course -- the turf here doesn't quite have the linksy character of the holes nearer the coastline. But this small stretch of holes includes a couple of fun par 3s. Then you're at the 7th -- a truly heroic hole, a long par 3 of well over 200 yards (maybe it's a par 4; par is largely irrelevant here) from a tee on high to a green far down below. Great stuff. Then you play out to the farthest reaches of the course before turning back to take on the back nine, and the sea cliffs that dominate the middle section of the course. The two par 3s -- the 12th and 13th -- are great fun, and true "Dell" holes in which the target is hidden. The closing holes are flat and not terribly challenging, but run over true links turf. Overall, a course much in the spirit of  golf in smaller, out of the way communities in Scotland -- a course built on the land available, with imaginative routing, and the usual conventions of par and length thrown out the window.

A highlight of the clubhouse is lunch (or dinner) with a bowl of Cullen skink -- a local delicacy, akin to New England Clam Chowder, prepared with the catch from the local fisheries. http://www.nytimes.com/1988/01/10/travel/fare-of-the-country-the-smoky-soup-of-scotland.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Sadly, this is an area often overlooked by visitors to Scotland, and esp. of the golfing set from the States, who view the northern Scottish holy grails soley in terms of Dornoch and Cruden Bay and rarely bother to look for anything in between. Lossiemouth Old and New are not too far down the road to the west (although the pace of traveling on these roads is leisurely), and Elgin is a short 10-minute trip south of Lossiemouth with a fine inland course. The community of Buckie along the way offers two modest courses (Buckpool and Strathlene), while the twin ports of Banff and MacDuff offer an 18-hole Mackenzie (Duff House Royal) and Royal Tarlair, home of the famous par 3 13th hole "Clivet," where if you hit it long, your relief is somewhere on the Shetland Islands.

But a real highlight just east of Cullen is the cliff-hugging town of Gardenstown (no golf), where the small fishing village hangs to the side of the cliffs that dominate the terrain here. From Gardenstown you can walk across the beach to the single row of homes that comprise the tiny village of Crovie, where residents park in a lot at the end of the village and walk to their home. Nearly wiped out in a huge storm years ago, the town still stands, home mainly to holiday cottages and vacationers. A true step back in time. http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/gardenstown/crovie/

A great, wonderfully scenic part of the country, where Scottish nationalism and pride runs very deep, and the conversations can be hard to follow, so thick is the brogue here. But folks are generous and friendly, and it's well worth a visit.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 12:42:31 PM »
On their website

2nd from tee

4th from tee

From 7th tee to east

From 7th tee to west

7th green back to tee

West end of course

The 12th as per The Book Of 100 Most Difficult Holes

Mike Hendren

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 01:35:16 PM »
Phil, thanks for your comments.  It just looks like a great place to unwind for a couple of days to break up an extended Scotland trip.
Any whiskey distilleries in the area?

Mike

David_Tepper

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 01:44:59 PM »
"Any whiskey distilleries in the area?"

Micheal H. -

Cullen is not far from the Spey River Valley, ground zero for Macallan, Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Glenfarclas, Glenrothes, et. al. You are also not far from Gordon & Macphail, the famous whisky shop in Elgin.

http://www.gordonandmacphail.com/

Map of Speyside distilleries: http://www.scotchwhisky.net/distilleries/dist_trail.htm

DT
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 02:07:38 PM by David_Tepper »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 02:38:23 PM »
Bogie you may get GCA find of the year for this.

Phil McDade

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 03:07:39 PM »
Bogey:

David has you covered; the triangular area running roughly from Elgin southeast toward Huntley, southwest over to Grantown-on-Spey, and then northerly back up to Elgin is chock-full of distilleries, several found along (or not long off) the main roads of the A95 and A96. The Spey River runs through this area, which is also top-flight fishing country. A fun day trip from Cullen.

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 10:15:20 PM »
We took the opposite trek of Mr. Doak - going from Cruden Bay to Castle Stuart to make a 10.40 on Saturday for 36. There were about 10 places that I would have loved to have stopped and explored, but we simply did not have the time.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back