News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

A little over a year ago I spent a cold yet sunny afternoon with my father, walking the Coastguard Station holes at Rosapenna (Old). These holes were retired from the old course in October 2009, and were replaced by nine new holes on the southern side of the Downings-Carrigart road. The new holes, initially named the Strand nine, together with the nine older holes in the "Happy Valley" (as the Irish Times correspondent described it in January 1909) now constitute the Old Tom Morris course.

The Coastguard holes, otherwise known as the "holes across the road" had become a liability due to a number of dangerous road crossing holes. This had not been a problem up to the mid 1990s, but then the boom hit the Irish economy and there was a dramatic increase in car ownership, as well as tourism. Driving - for both cars and players - across holes 11, 16 and 18 became dangerous.

These holes were not loved by many (shame on you Muldoon  :D ), and always came off second best when compared with the holes down in the valley. They were criticised for being "non links-like" and a bit of a slog. There can be no denying that the old course had a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde feel to it. The valley is as  perfect a stretch of sandy linksland as you could wish for, whereas the Coastguard holes sit on land that could best be described as "Just an auld water meadie" to quite Andra Kirkaldy's description of the old Muirfield course. Nevertheless, it was invariably the Coastguard holes that elicited the most attention.

After quickly glossing over the valley holes, Jim Finegan, in his book "Emerald Fairways and Foam-Flecked Seas" went into ecstasies over the the second nine:

The second nine - more specifically, the final eight, stands in sharp contrast. Here, again and again and again, it is spectacular golf, literally golf as spectacle, that we savor. Having turned our back now on the dunescape and left the low ground, we play up and down and over and around a single great hill.

He continued:

The three holes that take us home are more of the crowning glory that is Rosapenna, with 17 in particular laying it all out for us, an arresting 360-degree panorama of town and water, meadow and mountain. Rosapenna, staggering in its beauty, endearing in its naturalness, is the only course I can think of that is ringed by water and ringed by mountains.

I echo Finnegan's comments regarding the 17th hole. There can be few more dramatic vistas in golf than the one which greets the golfer as he leaves the old 16th green and walks uphill to the 17th tee (unfortunately my photos do not capture this).

So what's left of these holes? The first half of the old 11th hole and the final approach to the 18th hole are no longer used. The old 18th green is now a practice putting green and the first fairway is currently being used as a nursery for replacement turf. Two new greens were added to complete the "Coastguard" academy course; one to the left of the old 11th fairway, and one to the right of the old 18th fairway. There is now only one road crossing at the 12th (now the 2nd hole on the Academy course). The only hole that is not being used for golfing purposes is the old 1st hole. Not all holes have been changed, so it's still possible to play the original and unaltered 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th and 17th holes.

As will be seen, there are many new houses encroaching this nine. The first of several houses was built in the late 1980s on the right of the old 1st hole. Then a few more were built behind the 15th green, right on the spot where the 16th tee originally was. Some more were built in front of the old 2nd tee, overlooking Tramore beach. The building continues today, with more new houses going up on the left of the old 1st hole as well as the right of the old 15th hole. The 1st hole will soon be surrounded on three sides by housing.

The Coastguard holes (in yellow) with the Academy holes (in red) superimposed (2011). Note that the circles denote tees.

The old Valley holes (pre-2009 in yellow) layout and the present layout (in black).

I should also say a few words about the numbering of the holes. For many years (1913-1964 I believe), the first hole on Colt's layout was what I refer to as the 11th, however when the new hotel - built in a different location - opened in 1964 (the old Norweigan style wooden hotel had burned down on 16 May 1962), what had been the 9th hole, became the new 1st hole. The old 1st hole was too far away from the new hotel, so the hole with the tee closest to the hotel was chosen at the opening hole. The order of the holes was reversed in October 2006, when the 11th became the 1st hole once again. I believe this order was retained until October 2009. I will continue to refer to the long par four that heads out towards the Coastguard station as the 11th hole, although some may have played it as their first hole.

I have photographs of holes 11 to 2. Please excuse my shadow in some of the pictures; there was no way to avoid this on a cold winter's day with the sun setting in the west. A few minutes after we left Rosapenna, it started to snow, so I was fortunate to grab these photos when I did.

The old course was redesigned by H.S. Colt. According to Sutton's Seeds Minutes of Meeting (thanks to Tony Muldoon for this info), Colt was involved with Rosapenna from December 1911 or earlier. The course was still under construction in May 1913 when the Irish Times correspondent visited once again. An estimated £3,000 was spent on construction, and even a light railway was used to transport earth.

The Irish Times correspondent paid a visit to the course in the Spring of 1913 and reported the following (Irish Times, 17 May 1913):

Irish Times advertisement from 1st September 1919.

The Vardon layout from 1906 (Picturesque Donegal, Shrubsole 1908).

Harry Vardon redesigned the Old Tom Morris & Anthony Brown layout in 1906. For ease of writing, I shall refer to the layout that Colt inherited in 1911 as the Vardon layout. Kevin Ward has written a book titled "The Story of Rosapenna" that contains two layouts, one that is said to be the original Old Tom Morris layout of 1893, and another from 1897. The book contains so many errors that it is difficult to take it seriously. Maybe when I have time, I will start a thread on the what I know of the Morris & Brown layout. Braid has been mentioned as lending a hand in some way, but I have not unearthed any evidence, although I believe Braid himself mentioned in his book (or perhaps Darwin's) that he carried out some work at Rosapenna. Robert Kroeger has also a chapter on Rosapenna in his book, but he also made many assumptions that in my opinion, just don't add up.

Colt tweaked Vardon's first few holes, and then branched off in a totally different direction after rounding the Coastguard Station. I shall point out these deviations as the photo tour progresses.

Hole 11, 427 Yds, Par 4

Colt "abolished" the Vardon's first hole which was a par three across the avenue. The par four second then became the new first. It seems probable that Colt placed the new first tee some 80 yards to the south east of the old second tee. The old second hole was named "Rock", and I suspect that that was because the hole originally was routed over or close to the conical rocky mound that lies a little left of the 11th fairway.

Edgar S. Shrubsole toured Donegal in 1907 and provided a comprehensive description of the Rosapenna course in his 1908 book "Picturesque Donegal". He wrote the following of Vardon's 2nd hole:

The tee for number two, "Rock" (410 yards), is advantageously placed . A drive in the direction a little to the right of the Coastguard station, over the road  leading to Downies, should leave a brassey and pitch to finish. The player is on gradually rising ground of rare golfing quality, affording excellent sport.

The "Winter Clubhouse". I believe this may have been the starters hut back when this was the opening hole.

The scene from the 11th tee. The first tee and shelter of the Strand nine is now located a little in front of the old 11th tee. The 1st hole on the Strand nine plays directly to the right in the photograph. The Downings-Carrigart road is clearly visible in the centre of the photograph. While the traffic is quite light in winter, during the summer months there is a constant stream of vehicles passing back and forth. It then becomes evident how dangerous the situation is, and that the owners were left with no alternative, but to eliminate as many road crossings as possible. Notice the rocky mound across the road and lying left of the kiosk. I suspect it was this rock outcrop that gave Vardon's second hole its name.

In the past, the rough to the left (just above my shadow) in the foreground would have been mowed to fairway height.

A decent drive would be expected to carry beyond the ladies tee in the foreground. This hole is now part of the "Coastguard" or academy course and is used mostly for tuition and juniors. It is now played as a par three of 206 yards.

A typical view of the green from the landing zone. I imagine that this fairway must have been very wide originally, as both bunkers are now surrounded by rough. I wonder how effective these bunkers were, as even today, the fairway is quite generous.

I love the rugged and raw appearance of these bunkers.

A view of the bunker guarding the left side of the green.

Looking back down the hill towards the tee and new clubhouse.

The 11th green with the 12th hole in the backgound.

Hole 12, 343 Yds, Par 4

The Vardon layout (see above) suggests that the green was no more than 50 yards on the other side of the road, but Shrubsole's description leads me to believe that Colt used the same green location over 100 yards beyond the road:

Number three, “Castle” (309 yards), is over the road leading to Melmore Head. The altitude increases and the view enlarges. In the distance is the lofty mountain range beyond Gortnabrade dominated by Errigal; just below is Sheephaven Bay, while right out in front is the rugged Fanad Mountain range. A drive of 200 yards up a rise brings Mulroy Bay into sight. For the second stroke a well-judged iron is needed.

So it appears more likely that Colt simply pushed the tee about 30-35 yards back from Vardon's tee location.

The 12th hole always felt a bit awkward to me; probably because I was unable to hit my drive long enough to carry the road. I estimate that it's about a 250 yards carry to clear the road. I can't help wondering what Colt thought of this hole and why he retained it. The green is visible from the tee, but the second shot would have been blind to all but the mightiest of hitters back when the course was opened. The green itself is really interesting; is it a typical Colt green? I must confess that I'm not a Colt expert, but I do like the little slopes that are present around the edges of many of the greens. The hole is still in play and is the only hole that still has a road crossing.

The white marker post on the horizon indicates the green location.

The fence can be seen before the green; it looks quite close to the green, but it's approximately 100 yards from the fence to the green. The road crosses the hole just on the other side of the fence. The fairway is quite wide but ...

the rough has been allowed to grow in border most of the fairway bunker.

If you are unable to carry the road, this is what your approach will be.

The fairway ends about 20 yards short of the road. What was Colt's idea here? I never thought about laying up when I played this hole, although much would depend on the local rule regarding the fences on either side of the road. I seem to recall that it was a free drop from the fences and road.

Many a drive got caught up in the long grass by the fence.

This part of the fairway has some lovely undulations.

Note the ripples on the right side of the green; they don't begin at the edge of the green and fall away artificially. The little dips and slopes that are present on many of these green start a few feet into the green and drop (or rise) off the green naturally.

The green is about 3-4 feet above fairway level. I assume this green was built under Colt's supervision.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 03:39:22 PM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Ally Mcintosh

Why did you stop, Donal?.... Very, very detailed and welcome... Unfortunately I never made it up these holes but was entranced by the Valley nine... and the new Strand nine...

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Why did you stop, Donal?.... Very, very detailed and welcome... Unfortunately I never made it up these holes but was entranced by the Valley nine... and the new Strand nine...

Ally,

I'll try to post the rest of the holes as soon as I can and maybe add some text as time permits. I just can't find the time these days to complete these photo tours.

Jonathan Mallard

This course was my introduction to links golf. That is if Tom Doak will agree that I cannot count the Legends Heathland course in Myrtle Beach.

I agree with Finnegan and Dónal about the final 8 holes on this course. I've posted on other threads how well done I felt this stretch of holes is.

I still say that 17 is the best 2 shot par 4 in golf under 375 yards. While most will probably not agree with that statement - and I get that - I think just about everyone will agree that the hole is worth the accolades that Finnegan, Dónal, and myself have given it. 13 and 15 were very good too. Note the placement of the right fairway bunker on 13 and think about how in tune it is with the modern game over 100 years later.

Paul_Turner

Donal

Excellent stuff.   I was completely baffled until remembering that the circles are tees!  Suprised that houses are still being built up there.

Rosapenna is the most convoluted evolution of just about any course(s) i can think of.  But it makes sense after walking it.

I thought the Coastguard 9 had been spoiled a bit by the changes.  The 11th, 16th and 18th were all better as they were and better than the replacements.   But still there are many good holes and agree with Finegan on the fine sweeping 13th.  The uphill 14th par 3 is classic Colt I think....severe green.

Re the "Happy Valley" 9, from the Vardon plan this looks to be mostly Colt now (certainly the website has it all wrong).  I think too that it was better as before.  I like the 1st in Yellow to a skyline green (sort of)...but it would have been much more attractive in the old days without all the damn housing around it.  I also think the original tee angle for the 2nd is superior.

The great 5th (Yellow) green must be one of the best links greens in the world...as it's not on the Vardon plan, I think it's Colt's.

I really disliked the shaping work that was done for the 10th Yellow (now Home hole), around the green when the new clubhouse was built.  Looks wholly artificial.

The Strand 9 is also confusing  (Eddie Hackett).  Because it was changed by Pat Ruddy, when Sandy Hills was done and Tom Doak has done some green work?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

jeffwarne

Donal

Excellent stuff.   I was completely baffled until remembering that the circles are tees!  Suprised that houses are still being built up there.

Rosapenna is the most convoluted evolution of just about any course(s) i can think of.  But it makes sense after walking it.

I thought the Coastguard 9 had been spoiled a bit by the changes.  The 11th, 16th and 18th were all better as they were and better than the replacements.   But still there are many good holes and agree with Finegan on the fine sweeping 13th.  The uphill 14th par 3 is classic Colt I think....severe green.

Re the "Happy Valley" 9, from the Vardon plan this looks to be mostly Colt now (certainly the website has it all wrong).  I think too that it was better as before.  I like the 1st in Yellow to a skyline green (sort of)...but it would have been much more attractive in the old days without all the damn housing around it.  I also think the original tee angle for the 2nd is superior.

The great 5th (Yellow) green must be one of the best links greens in the world...as it's not on the Vardon plan, I think it's Colt's.

I really disliked the shaping work that was done for the 10th Yellow (now Home hole), around the green when the new clubhouse was built.  Looks wholly artificial.

The Strand 9 is also confusing  (Eddie Hackett).  Because it was changed by Pat Ruddy, when Sandy Hills was done and Tom Doak has done some green work?

Confusing/convoluted is correct

I first played Rosapenna in the early 90's when the Coastguard nine was in place.(before the hotel was reopened)
Even then it felt convoluted but I must say the "noncoastguard" nine(now the back nine with old #1 eliminated and #2 turned into a dogleg left)was and maybe still is one of my favorite nines in golf.

The Coastguard nine had a hole I really enjoyed (the sweeping downhill dogleg right #13 I think)but overall felt a bit choppy with the sloggish walks and the housing component on the upper hole(16?) I remember looking longingly into the linksland beyond and wondering why they did not use it (which they now have)
I returned in 2007 (played Sandy links and the same Old Tom/Coastguard arrangement as the new nine was (re?)growing in)
Also returned in 2011 and played the Old Tom nine and the new Ruddy/Doak nine

I must say I enjoyed the first experience the most as the course was its' most playable,it was uncrowded, you casually paid your green fee in a pub in town,and it had an old hidden gem feel to it with extreme variety in the Old Tom 10 and the Coastguard 8 .
I guess I should've been careful what I wished for.

The Hotel and golf operation have a very corporate,stark feel to me now.
Others have disagreed with me-perhaps I just had bad luck as I've run into some pretty grumpy Continentals on the course and at the Hotel.

I do think the new nine is quite good, it's just hard for me to get a good feel for the golf course with all the disjointed adjustments that have been made.

Love the area as there are many good choices inside an hour's drive.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ally Mcintosh

IF that 1906 Vardon plan is correct, it looks like almost all of the 18 on the pre-Strand nine course was Colt... I agree with Paul that the 5th green shown (current 13th) is fantastic and the following hole, the par-3 14th on the current course, is one of the best one shotters in Ireland.... The 2nd tee may have been better as was but wouldn't make any sense as the 10th tee in the current configuration... And it does seem a shame that some of those holes up high by the sea (e.g 1 & 2 yellow) were lost to housing... The Strand nine is really Ruddy with Renaissance greens as I understand it... Hackett did an initial routing but to give him too much credit would probably be wrong...

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Thank you for your comments. I have added some new info to the first post and your comments have encouraged me to set some time aside to finish this thread.

I have spent many hours looking over the old Rosapenna course and I now have a lot more info than I had about 3 years ago when I first started to look into the evolution of the old course. I don't have all the answers, but I don't think anyone will ever know exactly whom did what and when.

Paul:

The old uphill par three 14th is Colt's and the green must be his work also. I have loads of pictures of this green and will post them shortly.

The old 5th (present 13th) and everything else in the valley must be Colt's as Vardon's layout didn't extend any further than approximately the 3rd green.

Here's what I know about Hackett's work at Rosapenna and how it links in with the Strand nine (taken from another thread).

Ally,

I was up there in July and walked the Strand nine (now part of OTM course). I spent some time discussing both courses and the history of Rosapenna with John and Frank Casey Jnr. (sons of Frank Casey Snr. owner of Rosapenna) We discussed quite a lot so we didn't go into too much detail on any specific topic, but I was very keen to ask what work Eddie Hackett had done there.

I am just writing what I remember from our discussion, so it's possible that I may have picked things up a little wrong.

In the early 1990s, Eddie Hackett was brought in to plan seven holes on the clubhouse side of the road, that would tie in with the existing 10 holes that were already on that side of the road. He began with his first hole in the general direction of the existing 1st hole on the SH course; his green was short and a bit to the left I believe. His second followed part of the existing 2nd (SH), but dog-legged right instead of left. His 3rd hole was a par three across the existing 3rd hole on SH towards an area close to the present 15th tee (SH). His 4th hole was roughly along the routing of the existing 15th (SH).

Still with me?

Now we come to the par three 7th on the OTM course. The tee is very close to the 15th green (SH). This was Hackett's 5th hole and was played to the green on the right. The 6th hole was a long par 5. The tee was about 50 yards in front of the present 6th tee (OTM), and the hole played down the 5th fairway and dog-legged left just in front of the 4th tee, across the approach to the 3rd green, and then across the present 8th (OTM) fairway to a green tucked into the left side of the 8th fairway. If you recall the 3 fairway bunkers on the mound (about 70 yds from the present 8th green), well, the green was just left of these. The 7th hole then played along the present 9th (OTM) to a green about 50 yds short of the present 9th green. The plan was to then play the old 1st hole (would have been the 8th) on the other side of the present clubhouse, and finish up with the present 18th (OTM).

Eddie Hackett died in 1996, and some of the holes I described above (par 5 6th, par 4 7th) do not exist on the 1995 OSI maps, but are present on the 2000 OSI maps, so perhaps Pat Ruddy/Green's Staff completed these. I would rather not speculate.

Ally:

Vardon's and the Morris/Brown layouts didn't venture that far into the valley. Vardon's 15th and 16th holes were 322 yds and 460 yds, respectively. Assuming the Vardon layout above is to scale and is accurate, the 15th tee would have been below the old 2nd tee on the hill, and would have played a little short and to the left of the old 2nd green (now the 10th green).

Vardon's 14th green was not the old 1st green on the side of the hill as Kroeger & Ward wrongly assume. This 14th green was called "The Target" green and I believe I located the site of the green last year. Photographs of this green are visible in the hotel bar. Vardon's 16th tee may have been short and right of the present 10th green (old 2nd green) and may have run along the same direction as the present 11th (old 3rd). I'd say that the present 11th (old 3rd) green is as far out as the Vardon course extended. Vardon's 17th and 18th holes were 559 yds and 300 yds, respectively, and headed back along the present 17th (old 9th) and 18th (old 10th) holes. The present 17th (old 9th) and 18th (old 10th) holes add up to a total of about 760 yards, while Vardon's last two holes tot up to 860 yards. But Vardon's 18th green finished up in front of the old hotel - but short of the road - which was located about 100 yards beyond the new clubhouse. This would place Vardon's 18th green just in front of the present 10th tee.

Robin_Hiseman

I don't wish to steal Donal's thunder on what is a very informative thread, but i'm going to put up a photo of the 17th hole right here and now for those of you curious enough to see what was very much the star of this 9 holes.

I stayed in Rosapenna for a few days back in April of 2007, using it as a base camp to explore some of Donegal's great courses.  Asides from the two courses at Rosapenna, within a short and very beautiful drive were the likes of Narin & Portnoo, Portsalon and Ballyliffin.  I also went there to play the enigmatic St. Patrick's, but it had been abandoned and was growing over.  On the picture I have labelled where St. Pats was (is) in relation to Rosapenna.  It is identifiable by the long white scar above the beach, which is the remnants of the aborted Nicklaus project.

My B&B was built on the site of the old 16th tee of the Coastguard course and in the mornings I could if I wanted to walk out of the front gate directly onto the new 16th tee!  The 17th was a lot of fun and I seem to remember hitting a handful of drives off here and enjoying watching them hang in the air on their way far, far down to the fairway.  It is quite a climb to get to this point, but it is a tremendous view and shows you all you need to know about why this is fantastic golfing land, which is largely unheralded.  Without a doubt, Sheephaven Bay is one of the most beautiful stretches of coastline I have ever seen, to which I would enjoy returning to in a shot.

Google Street View offers up a good insight into how the holes crossed over the busy road.  Both the 1st and 9th did it when I played and you just had to wait for a gap.  Not the kind of course to which to bring a long winded pre-shot routine.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:57:42 AM by Robin_Hiseman »
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Hole 13, 455 Yds, Par 4

Vardon's 4th hole may have been played from somewhere close to the 12th green (bottom left corner of above aerial), and along the side of the hill to an area close to the present 14th green (top of aerial).

Shrubsole wrote of Vardon's fourth hole:

The tee for number four, “Mulroy”(348 yards) is just over the ruins of Lord Boyne’s Castle, which was overwhelmed in a sand drift early in the last century. The drive is towards the mouth of Mulroy Bay, and directly from the hotel. The course is over rough ground. A brassey stroke should reach the green, though a mashie shot may be needed. The player has now got to higher ground. The slight rise brings into view the waters of Mulroy, which with its hundreds of islands, lie mapped out below, with Island Roy in the foreground and Mulroy Pier breaking the shore line. A glimse can be had of the distant mountains of Inishowen, while the crest of Rosapenna hill shots out Muslack and the hotel in the rear.

Colt's new hole veered off to the right and descended to within 100 yards of the shores of Mulroy Bay. Although the hole measures 455 yards, it seldom playes that long.

The safe line to take off the tee is the left point of Reagh Island in the distance. A fairway bunker down the right-hand side is just visible and taking a line closer to this hazard will leave the player with a much shorter approach to the green, provided the bunker can be carried by about 20-30 yards.

The fairway slopes to the right, so keeping the drive out to the left may provide more chance for the ball to run, especially when firm conditions prevail.

When you look at the positioning of the bunker a little closer, it's not so clear that trying to carry this hazard is the wise choice, as using the slope of the fairway seems like the better method of gaining a shorter approach shot. Is this bunker there just to tempt the
the foolish?

A view back to the tee illustrates the drop from tee to fairway.

A good drive will leave this view of the approach to the green. The entrance to the green is quite flat ...

although, there is a small little bump just at the front edge.

Nearly all the greens on this back nine appear flat, but there a loads of little undulations that are more evident in this winter sun.

A final view back up the fairway; the tee is up to the left just over the hill.

Hole 14, 128 Yds, Par 3

Colt slotted in an uphill par three to tie in with Vardon's 5th hole. This hole became the 4th hole of the re-designed course. The hole isn't the prettiest in the world, but it does possess a very interesting green where anything but a well struck shot will find trouble.  

For some reason, I do not have a tee shot view of this hole, but I have plenty of photos of the green from various angles. I make no apologies for posting so many photos of this green, as most readers will probably not play this and the other Coastguard holes when they visit Rosapenna.

A view from the front left side of the green.

The green falls off quite severely at the front.

A view from the front right side of the green. Don't be short!

The view from the front of the green.

This green has some lovely little undulations. With the exception of the step, it seems to me that Colt made a point of shaping very minor but difficult undulations into the greens. There are no major slopes on any of the Coastguard greens; it's all very understated.

The view from the right side of the green.

A tee shot that doesn't manage to land on the green will bounce back into the bunkers.

A view back down the hill towards the tee which is just right of centre (in between both bushes).

Overshooting the green will leave a very difficult recovery.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 07:15:32 PM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

I don't wish to steal Donal's thunder on what is a very informative thread, but i'm going to put up a photo of the 17th hole right here and now for those of you curious enough to see what was very much the star of this 9 holes.

I stayed in Rosapenna for a few days back in April of 2007, using it as a base camp to explore some of Donegal's great courses.  Asides from the two courses at Rosapenna, within a short and very beautiful drive were the likes of Narin & Portnoo, Portsalon and Ballyliffin.  I also went there to play the enigmatic St. Patrick's, but it had been abandoned and was growing over.  On the picture I have labelled where St. Pats was (is) in relation to Rosapenna.  It is identifiable by the long white scar above the beach, which is the remnants of the aborted Nicklaus project.

My B&B was built on the site of the old 16th tee of the Coastguard course and in the mornings I could if I wanted to walk out of the front gate directly onto the new 16th tee!  The 17th was a lot of fun and I seem to remember hitting a handful of drives off here and enjoying watching them hang in the air on their way far, far down to the fairway.  It is quite a climb to get to this point, but it is a tremendous view and shows you all you need to know about why this is fantastic golfing land, which is largely unheralded.  Without a doubt, Sheephaven Bay is one of the most beautiful stretches of coastline I have ever seen, to which I would enjoy returning to in a shot.

Google Street View offers up a good insight into how the holes crossed over the busy road.  Both the 1st and 9th did it when I played and you just had to wait for a gap.  Not the kind of course to which to bring a long winded pre-shot routine.

Look familiar Robin  ;)

Feel free to post any photos you have. It was very difficult to take photos of the last few holes as the Winter sun was setting. I'll have to get back there in the Summer and spend a few hours snapping photos from all angles. It's important that these holes are photographically recorded as it's difficult to see a future for these holes. They maintenance costs must be quite significant, and I imagine green fee intake is very little. The house above is only a few yards from the old 15th green. Misjudging an approach shot to the green by a few yards could result in serious injury.

Tony_Muldoon

Donal thanks for this thread and the name check! I don't know how I missed this earlier in the year and you have an ally in Jonathon.

I thought I'd learnt not to express strong opinions based on one play and I'm really enjoying your tour.   I had one day there and really enjoyed the old Tom 9 and being severely mugged by the New course in the PM.  I will reserve further comments until you've finished the tour.

Finally I think there's a real danger of these holes being altered further or even disappearing.  I heartily applaud your attempt to document them and I would strongly urge you to send copies of everything you have to Frank Pont who will host them all as an important document.

http://www.golfarchitecturepictures.com/Pages/about.html
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ivan Morris

Ally has put an idea in my head - to select my best 18, par-3 holes in Ireland as they fall 'on the card.' The 14th at Rosapenna's Old Course is the first one down. The 18th at Killarney's Mahony's Point is next. Both holes are worth crossing an ocean to play. The 2nd at Mullingar, 3rd at Killarney-Killeen, 4th at Royal County Down - more to follow after I have slept on it. Good night!

Jonathan Mallard

Ally has put an idea in my head - to select my best 18, par-3 holes in Ireland as they fall 'on the card.' The 14th at Rosapenna's Old Course is the first one down. The 18th at Killarney's Mahony's Point is next. Both holes are worth crossing an ocean to play. The 2nd at Mullingar, 3rd at Killarney-Killeen, 4th at Royal County Down - more to follow after I have slept on it. Good night!

Ivan,

As much as I like this 9 holes of golf, and as great as this hole is given all of the pictures posted, I've got to question putting it above #14 at the Dunluce Links at Portrush given your criteria.

Ivan Morris

It's only a matter of opinion and you are free to choose your own favorites list. No one should take these personal lists of bests too seriously. 

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Ivan:

My numbering of the holes is a bit confusing (the Coastguard holes were always 11-18 in my time playing there), but I presume the 14th at Rosapenna you are referring to is the one in the valley.

Is this the hole? Is certainly is a great par three.

St Ives Golf Club-41.jpg by kevin.diss, on Flickr

Can't disagree with your choice of the 2nd at Mullingar either. It's an excellent uphill par three.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 06:04:44 AM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back