News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank M

This quick"ish" course tour may provide some interesting commentary so I am not going to say much about Trump International. Many will have their opinions and I am sure they all differ immensely.

Nonetheless, I think one thing can be agreed upon and that is the course is interesting. Whether you like the course, what it stands for, who it belongs to etc., or not, it is unique in Florida and has some good holes.

Like I said I will go no further than that, but hope you enjoy the photos (a couple of green photos did not turn out sorry).

HOLE 1 : Par 4 475 Yards
Tee

Fairway

Looking back

HOLE 2 : Par 4 417 Yards
Tee

Fairway

The picture of a fairly interesting second green did not turn out  ???

HOLE 3 : Par 5 539 Yards
Tee

Fairway Right

Fairway Left

Layup area/short of green

Green

HOLE 4 : Par 4 384 Yards
Tee

Fairway

HOLE 5 : Par 3 228 Yards

HOLE 6 : Par 4 335 Yards
Tee

Fairway

Looking back

HOLE 7 : Par 3 191 Yards

HOLE 8 : Par 4 473 Yards
Tee

Fairway

Fairway 2

Looking back

HOLE 9 : Par 5 553 Yards
Tee

Layup

Again no green photo  ::)

HOLE 10 : Par 4 419 Yards
Tee

Fairway

Green

HOLE 11 : Par 3 177 Yards
Tee

Short of green

HOLE 12 : Par 5 613 Yards
Tee

Fairway

Layup

Green from behind 14th green

HOLE 13 : Par 4 469 Yards
Tee

Fairway

Short of green

HOLE 14 : Par 4 413 Yards
Tee

Fairway

End of fairway

Once again green image did not turn out...sorry  :-\

HOLE 15 : Par 5 550 Yards
Tee

Looking across at 16th and 18th greens from 15th

Fairway

Fairway 2

Short and right

Looking back

HOLE 16 : Par 4 406 Yards
Back Tee

Forward tees

Fairway left

Fairway center

Green

HOLE 17 : Par 3 215 Yards
Tee

Short left

Green

HOLE 18 : Part 4 469 Yards
Tee

Fairway

Fairway 2

Looking Back

Peak at the New Nine

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 02:32:40 AM by Frank Mastroianni »

Tyler Kearns

Re: Trump International (West Palm Beach) w/pics - All 18 posted
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 11:02:32 AM »
Frank,

A few things that jumped out at me looking through your pictures;

1. A healthy majority of the water hazards bordered the right side of fairways, and at least two of the par threes which can be problematic for the average golfers who tends to miss short and right.

2. The vegetation along the creek at No. 15 seems unnecessary, and likely to delay play as it could be unclear as to whether or not a ball is in the water or not.

TK

Howard Riefs

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 11:19:11 AM »
Frank -

Thanks for the comprehensive photo tour -- even with out those shots of a few greens!

#8 looks like a beast from those back tees; is the forced carry around 250 yards across the lake? How far from a middle tee?

I got a good chuckle out of the back tee for #16. The drive through a shoot of palm trees is Florida's version of the #18 tee at Augusta -- but with a short hedge to boot.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 12:03:27 PM »

It looks in great condition. I like the white sand. The par 5s look well designed. The elevated tees are cool. It looks hot. A cart would be needed for shade. Most links courses don't have waterfalls. I like waterfalls.

Anthony

Carl Rogers

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 01:06:28 PM »
Hole 6 is Rees Jones circa early-mid 80's.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 02:48:20 PM »
Brian is that a dig or do you enjoy pretty?

I don't see any greens that look fun (from today's GCA facebook feed)
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 03:37:06 PM »
It is beautiful....but it looks like an absolute brute for the mid to high capper!

Thanks for putting the work in to create this review.

Steve Okula

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 06:17:50 PM »
THE most intensely landscaped golf course I've ever seen, with the possible exception of Augusta. They must have more people working in the shrubbery than on the grass. It is everything that's wrong with American golf today, kind of like a combover.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:21:19 PM by Steve Okula »
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 08:05:58 PM »
Too much landscapimg for sure but 98 of 100 people would think somethinglike this tobe the holy grail of golf. Like it or not that's the way it is.

Wish I had the budget to "Trumpify" our Desert Course.

Frank M

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 09:24:40 PM »
Kalen: The course can play very tough and as you say some high handicappers may struggle...although, playing from the correct tees makes it much better.

Tyler: You are pretty much right. A vast number of water hazards are on the right side.

Howard: I do not believe the carry is that bad...on the conservative line between the two fairway bunkers, if I remember correctly it is about 185 yards from the back tee to clear the lake, maybe a bit more to the actual fairway. If you are going right....it is definitely big...I think its about 245-250 to clear the bunker on the right and obviously more if you go further right. It was really windy and in my face the day I played which made it a very difficult carry.

Anthony: I won't comment on what I think of waterfalls or not. Glad you like it though!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 03:01:12 AM by Frank Mastroianni »

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 09:44:17 PM »

It looks in great condition. I like the white sand. The par 5s look well designed. The elevated tees are cool. It looks hot. A cart would be needed for shade. Most links courses don't have waterfalls. I like waterfalls.

Anthony

Anthony, I think waterfalls have their place, even on golf courses.  The waterfall(s) at Trump WPB fit well and I think add to the golf course.  No, not from a strategic point of view.  But, the whole place is manufactured.  There is a lot of show and the waterfalls work.

Honestly, I don't know what there isn't to like about the 'falls at Trump WPB.

I can understand disliking the entire golf course, as Steve does, saying it is what wrong with golf today.  But the waterfalls plain fit.

Overall, I really enjoyed the golf course.  My biggest pet peeves were overly penal DZs and greens that always felt like they were angled the wrong way to the direction of play.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 09:45:39 PM »
From what I see in these photos, the course looks god-awful.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 12:02:32 AM »
It' a hard golf course, especially for a fade or slice golfer, and the wind is fairly pronounced.

I like holes # 3 , 4, 9, 12, 14 and 16.

The par 3's are challenging with water right on every one, and they're all fairly long.

The LZ for the second shots on the par 5's are very pinched in requiring a decision to lay up or go for it.

Perhaps too much elevation change for me, given the location/site.

Well maintained, but, since when is presenting quality playing surfaces a negative.

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 08:27:15 AM »
Brian is that a dig or do you enjoy pretty?

Mike: No, I just think it is a visually attractive golf course. Looks like a nice place to stroll around.

The course looks very hard in those pictures, but is playable and not nearly as narrow as the pictures make it look.
I played it with a high handicapper and know many high handicappers who love it.(it's certainly different than the offers in that area)
As Pat says, it has some good holes.
Frankly I think the waterfall hole is cool and attractive (given the setting)
The course, clubhouse, and particularly the entrance are not my style but hey, different strokes,,,,
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 01:42:21 PM »
I think the neatest "obviously man-made" water feature I've seen on a course is the grotto/bat cave at Sanctuary.  It almost seemed like Hugh Hefner himself was going to come out those doors at any second, head to two in robes and gold chains, with a few bimbos in tow.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 01:08:16 AM »
How does this course get on anyone's top 100 list?  Ok, it does have some good holes, but let's get real.  Now if you are
 rating the clubhouse, decorating, bathrooms etc. that's a different matter......  Played the Cal Club this past week.  Now that's
 a big time top 100 on anyone's list!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 11:33:01 PM »
Kalen,

Since when is having a few bimbos in tow a bad thing ?

Wayne,

What top 100 list are you refering to ?

I played another course with a Trump WPB member and we discussed how difficult Trump WPB was, and how easy it was to take a big number on any one hole.

There's water right on 14 holes and water left on 2.5 holes.  Only holes without water are # 2 and # 13 and # 13 has OB  left.

I also played Adios with my son recently, and can say that I couldn't afford to be a member and have him play the course regularly because the cost of golf balls hit in the water would tap me out in short order.  I don't know how mid to high handicap golfers can negotiate that course without losing a good number of balls on every round.

Great greens though, maybe amongst the best set in South Florida

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back