News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank Pont

Tandridge update - pictures
« on: March 10, 2012, 11:31:49 AM »
Having just completed work on the front nine last autumn, and done work on 10-14 and 18 this winter its time to show some more pictures of this rather interesting Colt course.

I will go through the holes in sequence:

Hole 1 is now a shot/medium length par 5, and has been significantly widened. The birches between 1 and 9 still need to go.....

Hole 2 fairway has been widened by almost 20 meters, these fairway bunkers used to be in the trees! Hole still needs one more bunker left of the green, will be done this autumn

Hole 3 is maturing nicely, still needs the two trees on the right to go, and widen the fairway a little bit more.

Some feel hole 4 has way over the top bunkering, in any case its what mr Colt put there in the first place and we just brought it back

Hole 5, tough and beautiful....

Hole 6 is a lot friendlier as long as you are not above the pin on this very slopy green

Hole 7 has been shortened by 20 meters making it a shot driveable par 4, will be a fun matchplay hole

Hole 8 is a deceivingly medium length uphill par 3 hiding the green behind a wall of bunkers

Hole 9 has become a medium length par 5, with a strong green defense

No picture of renovated hole 10 yet.

Hole 11with new bunkering. Trees on the right will go this autumn and a swale and bunker will be built in front of the green

Two pictures of hole12, a right dogleg par 5 hole with some very strategic bunkering. Used to be a skyline green, unfortunately we cannot get rid of the trees behind, they are not on our land....

Hole 13, it may not look pretty now but this downhill par 3 will be All England when we are finished. Still keen to move the tees 20 meters to the right to make the tee shot even more thrilling

View back on 13 and down 14, here we have made a massive cut to make the fairway of 14 better visible from the tees, and to create more interesting recovery shots from behind green 13

The viewing line of the new tees of hole 18. With some tree cutting at the right of the hole...

..you will see this, and with even more trees removed on the right....

....you will see this. If all the trees go it might well become the most spectacular finishing hole of Surrey....

Tom_Doak

Re: Tandridge update - pictures
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
Frank:

The bunkers look lovely, but I wouldn't have said they look like Colt's work.  Do you have a vintage photo of Tandridge that shows the same sort of style, or did you decide to change it?

Also, are you putting a line of mounds between #18 and some other hole, or is it a diagonal across the 18th fairway?  I've never been there so I can't get the right perspective from your three photos.

Frank Pont

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 12:11:35 PM »
Tom,

I can quite understand your thoughts, indeed Tandridge is quite extreme for Colt. Not only did he use more bunkers than anywhere else, but many of them were also HUGE.
Through Paul Turner I receievd a number of olf Tandridge postcards, we had an old aerail which was shot right after the opening of the course, plus many of the mothballed bunkers were closed so crudely that the original shapes where clearly visible. I have made the bunker edges somewhat more pronounced on some of the bunkers knowing that they always soften in the first few years.

The bunkers are so different from what I am used to from Colt that I first thought that maybe it was MacKenzies hand in it, but the dates do not work to validate that theory......

This is a view of the 18th and the clubhouse right after opening. Notice the number of bunkers, the ragged edges and especially the HUGE size compared to the clubhouse

An aerial of the course just after opening, again you can see the irregular edges and the large sizes of the bunkers

Frank Pont

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 12:15:21 PM »
Tom,

the line you see are mounds between holes 10 and 18, which the club wanted for safety reasons. I have modelled them on the original mounds that Colt put between holes 9 and 10, and they are between 1 and 2 meters high. They will ook less pronounced once the grass grows on them

Chris Buie

Josh Stevens

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 01:26:46 PM »
Tom,

I can quite understand your thoughts, indeed Tandridge is quite extreme for Colt. Not only did he use more bunkers than anywhere else, but many of them were also HUGE.
Through Paul Turner I receievd a number of olf Tandridge postcards, we had an old aerail which was shot right after the opening of the course, plus many of the mothballed bunkers were closed so crudely that the original shapes where clearly visible. I have made the bunker edges somewhat more pronounced on some of the bunkers knowing that they always soften in the first few years.

The bunkers are so different from what I am used to from Colt that I first thought that maybe it was MacKenzies hand in it, but the dates do not work to validate that theory......

This is a view of the 18th and the clubhouse right after opening. Notice the number of bunkers, the ragged edges and especially the HUGE size compared to the clubhouse

An aerial of the course just after opening, again you can see the irregular edges and the large sizes of the bunkers

I agree, they do look a little modern and frilly.  From memory there was only one orignal colt bunker left, was that the fairway bunker on the 10th I think.

I love tandrigde, although the holes down in the valley in the back 9 are a little tricky to gel with the holes up on the ridge.

Are you really going to remove all the trees on the 18th?  That would be something - I have played there perhaps 5 times and ended up down in the shit on the right hand side of 18th every time.  Greed I guess.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 03:23:28 PM »
Frank,

An excellent thread, like the Tyneside one.  I must make plans to get down to Tandridge this summer and to pay another visit to Tyneside.  Congratulations on what looks like a great job and on one of the more interesting threads of recent weeks.

Noel Freeman

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 05:48:52 PM »
The old photos belie the back 9 movement at Tandridge, there are some major elevation changes that even those old pictures don't do justice to.  The front 9 when Paul Turner and I were there 6 years ago was over-treed and still looks that way as Frank states--but I'm glad they are taking stuff out. To me the bunkering that TD alluded to and Frank said looks almost Mackenzie-ish reminded me of the Meadow Club restoration that I just saw last week.  I guess the big thing at Tandridge was the volumes of hazards, the pictures in the clubhouse show what was the most hazarded lined course I think Colt has done (depending on what you think of his work at Pine Valley, just kidding Mr. Crump!.

BCrosby

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 05:55:48 PM »
In the bottom aerial there appear to be many center line or near center line bunkers. Am I seeing that correctly and have those bunkers been retained?

Bob

Paul_Turner

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 08:20:55 PM »
A vast improvement,  I remember posting vintage pics of Tandridge on GCA about 10 years ago from a Bernard Darwin handbook; I hadn't been there then and nobody on GCA had either.  But they were good quality photos and the course got a !! response on GCA.

Then in 2004 Noel and I visited and we liked the course but it was depressing to see most of the bunkers turfed down...there was only one big sand faced one remaining...the one to the right of the 13th green/drop.  The Donald Steel was very disappointing,  generic and  just like similar work at North Hants and Beaconsfield.

Frank and i have corresponded on his restoration.  At first I thought the bunkers were too fancy and told Frank this,  but the 3rd, 4th and 5th are maturing nicely and wiith the longer grass, the edges are becoming ragged like the original pics.  I would encourage more grass to grow to soften the edges further.

In many ways it's a first for UK golf architecture.  Mostly a restoration rather than a remodel.

Tandridge had to have the most bunkers of Colt's courses (although the "300" must be an exageration) but I think it was in vogue at the time....Muirfield and Moor Park had loads too.  

Frank, I guess the club didn't have interest in restoring the 13th green.  It looked quite something in that old pic.  I know I should be working on the presentation!

Bob

Yes lots of central bunkers.  The best is the cluster of 3 on the 2nd or the "en echelon' bunker on the 10th.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 08:42:39 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 08:22:34 PM »
More fine photos from Frank and some new Colt photos I had not seen before.

The property strikes me as being quite impressive.  For the most part, gentle enough and not too severe.

Thanks for posting and sharing.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tony Ristola

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 10:41:47 AM »
Having seen the before photos it's a huge improvement; wonderful work. Some of the photos were obviously taken during the dormant winter months... fresh work; it really comes alive with the contrast of colors and heights of the grass in summer.

Question... the hillocks down the left of 18... recently added? (Update: Noticed you answered already)

Paul... it's always easy to soften things a bit if Nature doesn't. It's going the other way that's a bitch.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:46:39 AM by Tony Ristola »

Eric Smith

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 11:11:49 AM »
This one looks very intriguing and I thought as much when Brian Sheehy posted his tour last year. The work looks fantastic Frank.

What are the odds when all is said and done that the club logo changes to a single tree stump? ;)

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 01:14:51 PM »
Let's hope other Colt clubs take notice and instigate something similar.

Frank Pont

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 03:01:48 PM »
Paul,

agree I think green 13 used to be much more undulated, see picture below:

Frank Pont

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 04:44:57 PM »
Frank:

The bunkers look lovely, but I wouldn't have said they look like Colt's work.  Do you have a vintage photo of Tandridge that shows the same sort of style, or did you decide to change it?

Tom,

after your question I went back into my archives to look for examples of typical Colt bunkering that bear esemblance to the bunkering at Tandriige. I think some of these might fit that description  (pictures courtesy of Paul Turner and NeilCrafter)

Moor Park West hole 18

St Georges Hill hole 3

Sunningdale New hole 9

Prestbury hole 7

Sunningdale New

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 05:56:03 AM »
Let's hope other Colt clubs take notice and instigate something similar.

Yes, Frank, once this job is done high tail it up to Edgbaston and help them fully realize the Colt gem they have.  I can think of no other English Colt course in such urgent need as Edgbaston.  Once you are done there, drop the Colt association and convince Blackwell they need to do some serious work because there is a lovely Fowler course with what I think some Simpson touches waiting to be restored.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 04:15:22 PM »
Thank you Brian.    Well done Paul and Frank.

I wonder who prepared the press release.

Paul is this an accurate summary of your talk?

Next up was a lecture presented by Paul Turner, one of the world’s leading authorities on Harry Colt, who had flown in from New York. He explained Colt’s design principles and the features incorporated in his courses and supported this with old pictures and aerial photographs. Colt was keen on cross bunkers, wide fairways, and options for the golfer - true risk and reward. If trees were not his favourite,  then the only thing worse was water which he felt should only form a backdrop or boundary to the course. Neither should be used as hazards. Most pertinent to us now, Turner then overlaid his pictures with up-to-date ones which showed how the Colt design philosophy had been lost in so many instances - by the filling-in of bunkers, by allowing trees to encroach upon fairways and by the narrowing of fairways rather than removing trees.

Wonder what  Giles from Thorndon Park will do to take the water out of his third hole?

"What, Never?
Well, hardly ever."

3rd is the most famous hole on the course. You hit diagonally across the lake, those who can hit long and close to the lake land on a downhill ski pad. Those who play safe will have over 200 yards to the green with their next shot.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 04:28:18 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Giles Payne

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 06:18:30 AM »
I was vey lucky to play Tandridge yesterday and can report back on a fantastic experience.

There is a marked difference between the fraont nine and the back nine and I really look forward to seeing what can be doen with the 15th - the old bunker outines are clearly there and oncethey are restored it should be a stunning short hole.

My only issue with the course was some presentation issues - I know that we have had a very wet April and begining of May but some of the rough under the trees and close to the fairways has been allowed to get a bit too long - it slowed down play greatly and was not needed as you would have had to play out sideways any way.

Enough of the rant - I had a great day and there are many fantastically inviting holes that use the elevation changes really well. The standout holes on the front nine to me are the 5th, 7th and 8th. None of them long but all requiring good execution of your chosen strategy. None of the other holes are week but I found these ones particularly good.

On the back nine I paticularly liked the 12th which has a really good driving choice and thene a lovely skyline green heavily sloping back to front. The 13th as Frank says is great (on a small note they need to keep the grass short infront of the tee to avoid blocking out a great top shot bunker.

The cut behind the green is really effective and has really improved the 14th.

As said previously, the 15th when restored could be an absolutely stunning hole. The 16th is an interesting short dogleg right with a reverse camber fairway into a benched green.

I think that the new 18th will be a big improvement.

I look forward to seeing the finished back nine - at he moment it is overshaddowed by the rennovated front nine and the finnish feels like a little bit of an anticlimax, with 17 being an attracive if not wow hole.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
I missed this thread the first time through. I'm glad Giles reported in on his visit.

Really nice looking work, Frank.  Hope I get a chance to see this sometime.

Frank Pont

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2013, 01:55:26 PM »
I finally had the time to make some good pics of the restored holes of Tandridge in their best summer condition last week, so thought it would be interesting to post them here.
I will only show the restored holes 1-9,10-13,18. The other holes will be done August 2013.

Hole 1. A short part 5, typical round starter for Colt.

Hole 2. A long right dogleg downhill par 4. Very undulated green for Colt.

Hole 3. Another long uphill par 4 with strategic fairway bunkering

Hole 4. Short hole, Colts version of the Fortress. (pic taken from left side of the hole, so not view of the tee)

Hole 5. Another very long par 4, plays as a par 5 for most, green is a Redan.

Hole 6. A short par 4, looks like a breather, but do not end up above the flag on this green!

Hole 7. Driveable par 4, but with a lot of potential troubles...

Hole 8. Uphill par 3, where you do not see the bottom of the flag in most pin positions

Hole 9. Medium length Par 5 that does play as a true 3 shotter with well defended green

Hole 10. Nice par 4 to start the second nine

Hole 11. Tough uphill par 4 with a green that sheds less accurate approaches (only greens that isn't original)

Hole 12. Medium par 5 with strong dogleg right, shot to green difficult to judge due to infinity effect

Hole 13 scary long par 3, similar to Calamity you do not want to miss right

Hole 14. Long downhill par 4, only the tees have been modified to create this view on the hole, green bunkers will be done this August

View on the clubhouse from hole 13

Hole 18. Final hole, medium length par 4, where the tees were moved up the hill to provide a better view. Key is tree removal on the right which will show the green and the clubhouse to provide one of the better finishes in Surrey.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 07:35:44 AM by Frank Pont »

Frank Pont

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 03:01:28 PM »
Frank - exceptional stuff - is the restoration 100% complete?
No, we do the last holes (14-17) this August, so you should be able to test the finished product later this Fall.

Andrew Hastie

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2013, 03:37:39 PM »
Very impressive Frank! Bold bunkering for Colt?

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 05:29:31 AM »
Well done Frank. I assume the club is well pleased.

Frank Pont

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 07:38:02 AM »
Very impressive Frank! Bold bunkering for Colt?
Very bold, I do not know of another Colt course with comparable numbers and sizes of bunkers.
There originally were 250+ bunkers, we now "only" have 110.
Not only that many of the bunkers were huge, and some were 5 yards + deep!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back