News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

My father was a baseball player and has pleasant memories of one year in which he played catch every month in Iowa.  Such an effort may seem trivial to those of you in warmer climates but there is something magical in his face as he describes  playing catch on the moderately warm January days with a bit of snowmelt in the yard.   For me, escaping the shackles of the seasons still carries magic.

I do not believe I have played golf every month of any single year.  I plan to rectify that situation in 2012.  In this thread, I will continue my 2011 thread by sharing a course of the month.  Hopefully I will provide some entertainment and serve as an information source for your travel plans.  

My January destination in 2012 was Hilton Head.  My wife Claire had a couple of days of meetings and asked me to come along.  My “job” was to attend social events in the evening and play golf during the day.  Given the destination and my primary criteria for a golf partner (someone who is entertaining and has a pulse) I immediately sought out Joel Zuckerman.  

If you are not sure whether or not you have met Joel, you have not met him.  Joel is a tenacious individual, whether it relates to writing and marketing his books, interrogating a four year old at a restaurant, challenging a bartender to a pushup contest, or playing golf.  I learned that Joel is also a tenacious host.  He not only met me to play golf, but also drove 400 miles back from the PGA show in Orlando to do so, gave me a tour of his house and took my wife and me to a lovely dinner in Savannah.

If I were a better person, I would have started this trip with goals of enjoying camaraderie, nice weather and good golf courses.  But I am not a better person.  My attitude on this trip can be summed up in two words – “Beat Zuckerman!”  I had never played golf with the guy but my instincts told me that he was someone I would really like to whip in a match.  

Joel took me to two courses – Deer Creek on Skidaway Island (http://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/landingscdeercreek/index.htm) and May River.  Deer Creek is a pleasant and beautiful Fazio course with generous fairways, difficult green complexes and stately trees hiding the nearby housing.  

May River is a fantastic retreat.  For the traveler, it is an expensive proposition requiring a hotel stay and a hefty green fee.   Nonetheless, it is a high quality course in a beautiful location between two turns of the May River.  

From a player’s standpoint, two features stand out – centerline bunkers and push up greens surrounded by short grass.   Five holes feature centerline bunkers and nearly every hole require decisions with regard to both club and line to set up the best approach.  This aerial tour presents a pretty accurate picture of the course tee to green because the land is relatively flat, with just some gentle hills towards rivers and creeks:

http://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/mayrivergolf/aerial.htm

As with most Nicklaus courses, I have played, May River presents difficult demands on iron play.  Many of the greens are perched well above their surrounds and a miss usually leaves a recovery shot off of tight grass, up a slope with little margin for error once on the green. Paspalum grass means that anything from a putter to a lob wedge is a reasonable option for such shots.  However, because of the severe slopes, I found bunker shots less of a challenge to my rusty short game.  Ran’s profile does a good job of showing some of these challenges:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/may-river-golf-club/

May River is a worthy winner of my inaugural course of the month.  The months of February and March promise to be interesting with the Dominican Republic and the San Francisco Bay area on the itinerary.

As for beating Zuckerman – I can only report that it is really irritating to lose to him.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:59:27 PM by Jason Topp »

PCCraig

Re: Topp’s Travels 2012 – January Course of the Month: May River
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 03:29:01 PM »
Great post Jason. Looking forward to future write-ups and courses visited!
H.P.S.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 04:09:50 PM »
Jason,
        How would you compare MR to other low country courses you have played?

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 04:22:40 PM »
Jason,
        How would you compare MR to other low country courses you have played?

Bruce:

I have played The Ocean Course and Harbour Town but not much else of note in the low country.

As compared to the Ocean Course, I like the fairways at May River better.  The Ocean Course felt a bit to me like it was drawn up with a protractor, whereas May River felt much more natural tee to green.  Both courses have one very out of character hole - the 7th at May River plays like a desert target hole and the 17th at the Ocean Course feels like it belongs in a Florida housing development.  The setting at the Ocean Course is more spactacular and the holes are more memorable.  Ryder Cup history is a bonus as well.

With regard to Harbour Town - the green surrounds are so different. Harbour Towns lay more gently on the land for the most part.   I probably would enjoy playing Harbortown's more on a regular basis but I  prefer the width tee to green of May River.    

I would happily return to any of the three courses.  
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 08:01:20 PM by Jason Topp »

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 04:32:21 PM »
Uhh...thanks, I think!

But one thing has become abundantly clear to me:

Here we have an attorney of some repute whiling away his afternoon with a 666 word diatribe, and ignoring more pressing business.  (and there's got to be some symbolism in that number BTW!) 

So---I will never again wonder about the exorbitant cost of my cell phone bill!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 04:34:52 PM »
This is a line that needs to be called out, in boldface:

If you are not sure whether or not you have met Joel, you have not met him.

I am sure that I have not met him, but feel as though I have.

Well played, Jason!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 04:56:25 PM »
Jason,

Glad to see that this thread lived to see the New Year.  I always enjoy your thoughts on travel, golf and relationship management.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 07:48:03 PM »
I got the opportunity to play May River last March, and I did some biking around Harbour Town.  I thought May River was freakin' cool, and definitely a hoot to play.  I can't imagine HTGL being much more fun.  I loved May River.  In a golf region not known for width, May River's fairways are plenty wide.  The course is low-lying, with no extraneous shaping and hazards that blend perfectly into the wild surrounds.  The greens are diabolical for the short-game.  The green complexes are pushed up, but the course is so low-slung that you only needed 2-3 feet of elevation to create some major difficulties.

The comparison between the Rivers Dismal and May is an interesting one.  One major difference that stood out: May River is a site with little elevation change that uses almost exclusively raised, exposed greens, whereas Dismal River has dramatic elevation but features a collection of sheltered, low-lying greens.  Pretty nifty.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 08:05:37 PM »

Here we have an attorney of some repute whiling away his afternoon with a 666 word diatribe, and ignoring more pressing business.  (and there's got to be some symbolism in that number BTW!) 

Two responses:

1.  There is such a thing as a save button
2.  You counted the words?  Look up res ipsa loquiter

Shane Wright

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 08:20:44 PM »
Jason,

Glad to see that this thread lived to see the New Year.  I always enjoy your thoughts on travel, golf and relationship management.

Amen +1

Jason, 55 degrees today in Sioux City, your Waveland trip might come sooner this year.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 12:20:28 AM »
All I know is that I don't care where you play this March, it will not beat the Waveland excursion.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 06:48:01 AM »
Jason:

I like your goal for the year -- to play in every month.  I think I've done that before, but it's certainly been a while, so I am making it my new resolution for 2012.  I've got January covered already, between Streamsong and Gavea here in Rio.  [If they had only scheduled my interview differently, I'd have February covered, too.  But now I've got a reason to go somewhere in February JUST TO PLAY GOLF.]

The only time I saw May River was while they were putting the finishing touches on it, a few months before it opened.  You may be surprised to learn that one of the most prominent features of it -- the centerline bunkers -- were almost all added at the last minute when Mr. Nicklaus made his final construction visit.  I thought that was very unusual, that something so integral to the character of the course was such a latecomer.  But I did think when I saw it that the course was some of his best work.

Jason Topp

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 08:20:22 AM »
Uhh...thanks, I think!

In all seriousness, I hope my description conveys how much I appreciated and enjoyed my time with Joel. 

Jason Topp

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 10:01:24 AM »
The only time I saw May River was while they were putting the finishing touches on it, a few months before it opened.  You may be surprised to learn that one of the most prominent features of it -- the centerline bunkers -- were almost all added at the last minute when Mr. Nicklaus made his final construction visit.  I thought that was very unusual, that something so integral to the character of the course was such a latecomer.  But I did think when I saw it that the course was some of his best work.

Thanks for the history Tom.  One criticism I usually have of Nicklaus courses is that they often are not sufficiently interesting prior to the approach shot.  The centerline bunkers add significantly in that regard and perhaps Mr. Nicklaus saw that the course needed more on his last visit.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 10:15:30 AM »
Posted by: Jason Topp 
Two responses:

1.  There is such a thing as a save button
2.  You counted the words?  Look up res ipsa loquiter

Cut/pasted your initial post into a fresh Word Doc, then hit "Word Count" on the toolbar. The entire enterprise took about 10--15 seconds.  And all this time I thought you young bucks were so tech savvy...

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 10:20:35 AM »
My home course is another Nicklaus Lowcountry course, Pawleys Plantation.  It only one hole with centerline bunkers, which make it a fantastic driving hole.  Unfortunately, there are no other such places on the course.  The centerline trees on two other holes are cool too, though; if they ever perish, I would hope centerline bunkers would be built in place.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Bart Bradley

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 07:51:16 PM »
I played May River in January too.  I liked the course and found the greens and surrounds to be very interesting.  The recovery options around the greens were plentiful.  On the 2 and 3 shot holes, I thought most of the tee shots were interesting and well designed.  I didn't love 9 and 18 and that is always a downer to finish a nine on a weaker hole and I thought the par 3s didn't provide as much variety as would find optimal.  I actually believe that May River should be in the discussion as one of the best courses in the area.  Doak 7 for me.

Best,

Bart

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 08:35:33 PM »
Uhh...thanks, I think!

In all seriousness, I hope my description conveys how much I appreciated and enjoyed my time with Joel. 

Joel is pretty competitive.    ;D

Carl Nichols

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 10:51:06 AM »
Jason:

I like your goal for the year -- to play in every month.  I think I've done that before, but it's certainly been a while, so I am making it my new resolution for 2012.  I've got January covered already, between Streamsong and Gavea here in Rio.  [If they had only scheduled my interview differently, I'd have February covered, too.  But now I've got a reason to go somewhere in February JUST TO PLAY GOLF.]

I agree.  I got an early January round in here in DC, but need to figure out a way to play somewhere in February.  I suppose if this weather holds, they'll be opening the greens back up shortly!

Ed Oden

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 11:05:57 PM »
Here is a complete set of pictures of the course if anyone is interested...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eko_gfl/sets/72157629163743945/

...or a slideshow if you prefer that...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eko_gfl/sets/72157629163743945/show/

Jason Topp

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 01:14:28 AM »
Here is a complete set of pictures of the course if anyone is interested...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eko_gfl/sets/72157629163743945/

...or a slideshow if you prefer that...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eko_gfl/sets/72157629163743945/show/

Thanks Ed.  I think we had the same pins that you played.

Ed Oden

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 09:32:50 PM »
Bart and I played together and most of my thoughts jibe with his.  But I will go a step further and say that, in my opinion, May River is the best course in the greater Hilton Head area.  Plenty of width, interesting greens and surrounds, lots of centerline hazards, an appealing natural look and a quirk or two thrown in to boot.  My quibbles are minor in degree:  like Bart, 9 and 18 are my least favorite holes on the course; I don't particularly like the use of trees in the fairways on 9, 10 and 18; and, while the paspalum provides near flawless fairway lies, it grabs a bit too much to promote the bump and run shots around the greens that the firm conditions cry out for.  But all in all, May River is very nice combination of interesting, fun, strategic and challenging holes and the best Nicklaus course I have played to date by a fairly wide margin. 

JNC Lyon

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 10:43:05 PM »
This just occurred to me today: there is almost no rough to speak of at May River.  It transitions directly from fairway into native areas on most holes.  Is this the only course in the HHI area that does this?  It's certainly one of the few courses I've played with that feature, although the fairway-wild direct transition is the ideal for me.

Also, do any other Nicklaus courses have as many centerline hazards as May River?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

kurt bowman

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 09:43:19 AM »
Tom: Not all the centerline bunkers were added on JN's final visit. In fact, none of them were. Many were added after rough shaping had begun such as the CL bunkers on 10 and 12. The only CL bunker on JN's original sketches was the one on the first landing area of #8. The others were added as part of strategy as the course construction evolved. JN adding bunkers during the construction phase was not unique to May River.

JNC Lyon: I can't speak to the body of JN's work regarding CL bunkers, but I can tell you a course I did in Cabo under the "Nicklaus Design" banner has many more CL bunkers. Club Campestre San Jose has 3 CL bunkers on the front nine (holes 4, 7, 8)  and 4 CL bunkers on the back nine (13, 14, 17) not including a grassed steep transition on hole 16 that works very much in the same way as a CL bunker.

Kurt

Greg Tallman

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 11:56:39 AM »
Tom: Not all the centerline bunkers were added on JN's final visit. In fact, none of them were. Many were added after rough shaping had begun such as the CL bunkers on 10 and 12. The only CL bunker on JN's original sketches was the one on the first landing area of #8. The others were added as part of strategy as the course construction evolved. JN adding bunkers during the construction phase was not unique to May River.

JNC Lyon: I can't speak to the body of JN's work regarding CL bunkers, but I can tell you a course I did in Cabo under the "Nicklaus Design" banner has many more CL bunkers. Club Campestre San Jose has 3 CL bunkers on the front nine (holes 4, 7, 8)  and 4 CL bunkers on the back nine (13, 14, 17) not including a grassed steep transition on hole 16 that works very much in the same way as a CL bunker.

Kurt

This crowd would enjoy CCSJ almost as much as I would enjoy adding some CL uinkering to... better stop before I get into trouble.

May River was quite good though I agree with the comments about 9 and 18... they could fit on any number of marginal HH area tracks. I would agree it is at or near the top of HH golf. Well ahead of Long Cove in my mind though 3 and 4 at LCC would fit nicely at MR.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:35:57 PM by Greg Tallman »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back