News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

How to post images on GolfClubAtlas.com
« on: January 27, 2012, 06:15:48 AM »
There are fairly regular requests on GCA.com for information on posting pictures.

Pics can really help a poster illustrate their point well, so I have wanted for a while to post a walk-through that can be referred back to for new posters or as a refresher for those who forget how to.

There's two methods shown here. The first is how to upload a picture from your computer, the other shows how to take a picture from elsewhere on the internet and post it here.

Uploading a picture from your computer

There are a lot of websites that provide free image hosting, but I like Imageshack: www.imageshack.us

To follow the below instructions, you'll need to register for a free account, but it takes no time and is worth it, especially if you're going to be uploading a few pictures.

This is the imageshack homepage. You need to click on "BROWSE" and find the picture(s) on your computer. The GCA.com page is 800 pixels wide, so be sure to select "800x600 (15-inch monitor)" in the relevant menu so there is no need to scroll sideways to see the right-hand side of the picture after you've posted it in the Discussion Group.

This is what the screen should look like after you've selected your picture(s). Now clock on "UPLOAD NOW".

If you have only uploaded one picture then this is the screen you will see next. The highlighted link - "Direct Link" - is the one you want. Click, copy the link by holding down the "Ctrl" key on your keyboard and tapping the "c" key and then go to the posting screen at GCA.com and paste the link as shown further below.

If you have uploaded more than one picture, this is the screen you will be taken to after clicking "UPLOAD NOW". To get each image's link, you need to click on the "i" button to the right of the image (circled in red in the example below).

Having clicked on the "i", this screen will open up and as in the first example, you want the "Direct Link" address. Copy it and paste it into your post at GCA.com.

Here is the posting screen at GCA.com. Regardless of the option you've gone through above, this step is the same. You need to put the letters img (upper or lower case doesn't matter) between a set of square brackets before the image link that you've copied from imageshack. To paste the link that you copied earlier at imageshack, hold down "Ctrl" and tap the "v" key. At the end of the image link, you need to put /img between a set of square brackets. It should look like this below.

The result will be that the picture is displayed like this:

Copying a picture from elsewhere on the internet

If you find a picture on a website that you want to post here, that's even easier than the process of uploading.

You need to right click your mouse on the picture and copy the web address of the picture (NB - A picture that is part of a web page will have a different web address to the page itself. Don't copy the web address from the address bar at the top of the page).

Below is the method of copying the image web address in Internet Explorer.
1. Right click on the picture to bring up the image menu and then left click on "Properties".
2. Highlight the picture's web address as shown below and copy the address.

If you're using Google Chrome as your web browser, it's even easier, you just right click on the picture and then left click on "Copy Image URL" and it will copy the web address of the picture for you, ready to be pasted here at GCA.com

As with the first example, you type img inside a set of square brackets before the image address and /img inside square brackets after the image address. The result will be the image displaying as so:

If a picture is too big for the screen, you can easily re-size it. You generally only want to be re-sizing to make pictures smaller though, Resizing bigger will sacrifice the image quality and make it go blurry.

If there are any questions, please ask, either in the thread or my PMing or emailing me and I will update the above to better explain the process.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:50:41 AM by Scott Warren »

Colin Macqueen

Re: How to post images on GolfClubAtlas.com
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 07:29:01 AM »
Thanks Scott.

Gentlemen,

I cribbed these instructions from someone else on GCA (Thankee very much) and it also works well although it uses Photobucket.

Go to www.photobucket.com
Now register.
There will be a large tab offering you to upload photos.
Do so.
Once this is done, click into your pics.
On your screen close to the pic you will see a list of ways to share the photo.
Click on the IMG code (it will flash (or grey out) when you do to indicate it is copied)
Return to the reply box on GCA that you are dealing with and paste the IMG code and you're sorted.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »
Thank you very much Scott. I am attempting my first photo posting. (When you speak of this again, and I know you will -- please be kind).  Since I have no buckets/hosting set up, I tried posting from the internet.

Okee, dokee - I got some practicing to do.  Instructions excellent; student none too bright. Hey, I re-sized it just like you said!!
Thanks again gents
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:33:15 AM by PPallotta »

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 08:52:15 AM »
There you go, Peter. Though obviously when you resize larger it stretches the files and makes it blur. But that's an A+ first crack at posting a pic and resizing all in one.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 09:07:53 AM »
You've opened a whole new world for me, Scott - thanks. Here's the scorecard/yardages from the first course I ever played, a Toronto municipal course, designed long ago by Mr. Anonymous.  People make fun it it, but is has, as we love to say around here, "a great collection of short Par 4s".  This is fun!!

JESII

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 09:38:13 AM »
Thanks for the info Scott (and Colin).

Peter, that isn't the opening post of a lifetime summary in pictures, is it?

That might top my useful time spent in the middle of MacMorPaulCirbaPalooza...

Howard Riefs

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 09:44:49 AM »
Scott,
Great instructions.  Thanks for sharing.

I cribbed these instructions from someone else on GCA (Thankee very much) and it also works well although it uses Photobucket.

Go to www.photobucket.com
Now register.
There will be a large tab offering you to upload photos.
Do so.
Once this is done, click into your pics.
On your screen close to the pic you will see a list of ways to share the photo.
Click on the IMG code (it will flash (or grey out) when you do to indicate it is copied)
Return to the reply box on GCA that you are dealing with and paste the IMG code and you're sorted.

Cheers Colin

Here's a more detailed set of instructions for PhotoBucket along with illustrations.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=42160.0
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Richard Choi

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 12:32:24 PM »
I will put a small plug for Windows Live service and SkyDrive.

It works just like any other photo album sites, but you get 25GB for free and you can store other files as well (like music), not just photos. All you need is a Windows Live account.

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 12:41:18 PM »
I would post a lot more pictures if I could find a way to do it faster. Tinypic takes all night!

Lou Cutolo

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 01:08:19 PM »
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/3965/laurellinksclubhousecf0.jpg[/img]

Lets see if this work. Thanks Scott now I can go back to the Clubhouse Thread and add some pics.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 01:08:39 PM »
I would post a lot more pictures if I could find a way to do it faster. Tinypic takes all night!

Tinypic is wonderful if you just have one pic or so to quickly need to be hosted.  But, yes, for many pictures it is tedious.

I'm very thankful to have my own web server.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Howard Riefs

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 01:19:11 PM »
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/3965/laurellinksclubhousecf0.jpg[/img]

Lets see if this work. Thanks Scott now I can go back to the Clubhouse Thread and add some pics.

Lou -

Looks like you left off the "IMG" in brackets at the front of the link.

Great photo!

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Lou Cutolo

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 02:11:21 PM »
Howard,
Thanks going to the Clubhouse thread to add some pics.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 02:14:48 PM »

Scott - Thanks for the "width =800" tip. I did not know that.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:19:27 PM by Stewart Abramson »

paul cowley

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 02:21:32 PM »
Wow Peter, I'm impressed...if you can...maybe I can...

Could you imagine if Tom Paul could? O - M - G
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 02:38:11 PM »
I find photobucket easy to use as well.

I've been using it for years, its free to me, and I've yet to run into bandwidth contraints even though i've posted 1000+ photos to it....

Mike Benham

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 02:48:45 PM »

Scott - Thanks for the "width =800" tip. I did not know that.

Actually, make the width 775, fits even better ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 09:33:09 AM »
Jim - ha ha, god forbid.
Paul - yup!

Images that Mr. Huntley may have seen with his own eyes

« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 09:40:13 AM by PPallotta »

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 08:21:27 PM »
Thanks Scott,

Any chance you could now do one on including Quotes?

Am not sure what the settings are on my PC - IE9 (zero chance on iPad), but whenever I try to include or insert a quote - I get a very weird loading message across the top of browser when doing a quick reply, and normal reply nothing happens when I try to insert quote.

any assistance welcome - particularly from Aussie contingent to remove any geographical hurdles.
@theflatsticker

Scott Warren

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 04:24:48 AM »
Brett,

I have the same issue. When I click the "Quote" button, the page just hangs with that green bar across the top saying it's loading , but it never does.

I believe Ran has been made aware of this problem, which also affects some people when trying to preview a post, but it hasn't been fixed, so I assume it can't be fixed.

Strangely, it affects me regardless of the browser I use - IE, Firefox or Chrome - but other people using the same browsers with the same operating systems as those I use have reported not having any issues.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 06:11:06 AM »
I get the same green bar for "loading" a quote from Quick Reply and nothing happens when trying to quote in normal reply.

I wonder if it has to do with security settings on our browsers, as it is not logical for some to work and some not.

Anyone out there fixed this problem on their own machine?
@theflatsticker

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 07:03:38 AM »
Brett, Scott,
On my MacBook, using Safari, the Insert Quote simply does nothing at all.  I am reduced to Copy/Paste methods.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Tom Walsh

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2012, 02:45:55 PM »
Practice

« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 03:09:27 PM by Tom Walsh »
"vado pro vexillum!"

Tom Walsh

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2012, 03:06:28 PM »
Hey I get it now   ;D

« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 03:12:22 PM by Tom Walsh »
"vado pro vexillum!"

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 10:35:36 PM »
I am frustrated - and I consider myself pretty computer literate.

I deleted my 'avatar' to load a new one - and I cannot do it uploading from my PC - which should be the easiest.

When I try to load frm harddrive - I get this error:

An Error Has Occurred!

The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

does this happen to anyone else - any tips - apprecaite any assistance.

I have now succcessfully managed to link to Flickr acc, but it doesnt fix the image upload from my hard drive.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:39:39 PM by Brett Morrissy »
@theflatsticker

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back