News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mitch Hantman

Reay GC - Pictures New
« on: October 06, 2011, 11:54:44 AM »
I recently visited Reay GC, a James Braid course on the north coast of Scotland.  It is a remote location to be sure, but it is well worth the drive.  The drive is very scenic as well.  Reay is located about 1 3/4 hours drive north-northwest of Dornoch.   This course is listed in Malcolm Campbell and George Peper's book, "True Links", as one of the 246 courses of the world that are indeed "True Links".

I am attempting to post these amateur photos taken by my wife while I played there.  My apologies to all for the pics that include me, but these can be edited out by those savvy with photo software if needed.  

#1 tee, par 3, 235 yds

surrounding farms

Approach, semi blind, to #4, par 5, 581

#4 green site

Typical natural dunes land at Reay

Front nine views

#6 par 5 approach

#6 green site

More scenery and views from the course follows over the next 4 photos

« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 06:14:11 PM by Mitch Hantman »

Carl Nichols

Re: Reay GC - Pictures
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 12:30:33 PM »
Mitch:
Try this:

{img}http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m565/mhantman/CIMG1331.jpg{/img}

But replace { and } with [  and  ] so you get:

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 12:52:50 PM »
Thanks, Carl, and thanks to all who helped.  Feel free to ask any questions.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 02:51:25 PM »
Hi Mitch,

Reay is really one of the last true hidden gems. Super course with a great atmosphere to it and well worth the trip up north especially if combined with Wick.

Jon

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 06:22:35 AM »
There are no tee times at Reay, simply come and tee off.  Oh, and to play, there is no pro shop, simply an honor slot to put the money in an envelope in the hallway leading to the bar. 

The day I arrived was a Saturday around 2pm, and I was the only car in the lot when I arrived.  When I left, same thing.  I was the only one on the course, on a Saturday afternoon in early September.  Amazing.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 07:04:39 AM »

Never seem to see it rain at Reay.

Reay GC was formed in 1893 not 1883 and James Braid did not attend until 1933 to make alterations to the existing course.

I have some more info on the early days but can't get my hand on the disc at the moment.

Melvyn

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 01:01:49 PM »
Mitch
  Love the look. Natural and unspoiled like a grumpy uncle. First I have heard of Reay but would love to hear more about it. Does anyone know of any reference materials I can look into?
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back