News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Johnston

Dismal River Golf Club - Construction Progress Update
« on: August 26, 2011, 08:50:43 PM »
Having received several questions, here is the latest wrt the Doak designed course at Dismal River...

Don "Dirt" Mahaffey and crew end their second week in the Sandhills and the main line is moving along and well ahead of schedule.  With a well and frost free line in the gound, part of the main is already charged.  Toro irrigation heads began to arrive today and component shipments are now coming 1x-2x a day.  Don is doing a great job with coordinating the fast track and complex logistics.

Brian Slawnik arrived Monday followed by Tom Doak and Eric Iverson on Wednesday.  Brian and Eric have 7 greens underway with three of these almost ready for final touches followed by irrigation install.  Tom has been spending a ton of time working on these and walking/tinkering within the routing.  Things are beginning to look Doakable. 

I'm sure Tom and Don will fill in more details when they have time, or a Guinness!

Meanwhile, we have a record weekend with members and guests on site!

If any of you are in the area, feel free to stop by!

JWL

Re: Dismal River Golf Club - Construction Progress Update
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 09:07:18 PM »
Chris
Thanks for the update and thanks for the invite.   Unfortunately, I will not be in the area....but I do hope one day to be able to come out and play both courses.....perhaps with you.   I enjoy your perspectives.   Cheers

Randy Thompson

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 09:22:36 PM »
Chris,
Thanks for the update, a foto would be nice every now and then, even if they never do justice, some of us have experienced enouigh eyes to add the missing justice factor in. Have fun!

Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 10:12:03 PM »
Chris,

Are you sharing your Guinness??

Which greens are you working on right now?

Can you get a pic of Don and Tom + Eric and Brian hoisting the trophy? Would be a good program cover for next year's tournament. Especially if we can get them to play in it!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 10:25:29 PM »

Thanks but I'll be fishing off the New Jersey coast this weekend.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 11:10:07 PM »
Eric...10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, but maybe a little less on 12.  Pheeflippinnominal!

Hope photos coming from AB.  I don't know how to post them.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 02:58:16 AM »
I just arrived at Dismal. The boys must be working hard as nary a one was at the bar and I stayed still she closed just to make sure.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 05:43:41 AM »
I may be a little behind, but is Don no longer at Wolf Point?
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

JC Jones

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 09:40:28 AM »

It is a pretty sad situation, really, that nobody wants to talk about.  You see, he was instructed to kill all of the gophers but due to the eardrum damage he suffered from having to listen to Joe Hancock's choice of music, he actually heard "golfers."  Being the dutiful employee that he is, he followed through with the instructions as ordered.

Fortunately, Mr. Johnston is a believer in redemption and agreed to employ Sir Mahaffey while he works through what is likely to be a nasty court case.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 09:51:30 AM »
Chris,
I would be glad to post any pictures for you, just mail them to me at agolf@chilesat.net
Randy

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 11:38:23 AM »

#17 Green

#18 Tee Box

Mac Plumart

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 11:40:44 AM »
WOW!!!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Eric Smith

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 12:20:06 PM »
Aidan, Aidan, Aidan...

Michael George

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 01:22:15 PM »
Chris:

This looks incredible!  I am really impressed by ownership and membership's commitment to the club.  So long as the feds don't kill the economy any more than they currently are, I am sure it will result in a great future for the club.

I know TD does not like predictions on golf courses, but I just don't see anyway that Dismal River is not in the conversation of greatest 36 hole private clubs at the end of this project.  Plus, it is fun to speculate on such issues, especially on these message boards with fellow students of gca.  So here it is.

I have not played Dismal River yet, but have followed your story closely and read almost every post on the club.  I have played the 36 at Oakland Hills and Firestone and certainly think that DR will surpass them.  Other notables include Winged Foot, Baltusrol, Olympic, Congressional, Whisper Rock and soon Ballyneal.  In terms of the total experience, I certainly think DR will be at the top of the conversation, especially for us on this board who love the purest parts of the game in a natural setting made for golf (rather than the toughest test of golf or the best of "high society"). 

Speaking for myself, my first national membership will be at Dismal River.  Unfortunately, I have to get my 5 kids through college before that becomes a reality.  But I truly love what you are doing there.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 01:31:22 PM »
Oooppss, forgot one...... another view of #18.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 01:58:24 PM »
Aidan...

Will these photos be available for purchase or are they only for internal use by the club?

Furthermore, are there photos of the Nicklaus course being taken (and available for purchase)?

And will there be photos available of the Doak course when complete?

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 02:33:17 PM »
Mac,

I appreciate your kind words and interest. I will post Dismal course images in a few days. Assuming Chris has me back to shoot the second course I will be happy to make them available for purchase through my website or I am sure you can get them from the pro shop.

Aidan.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 02:46:24 PM »
For those viewing the photos for the first time...  In person, the landforms are even more dramatic than what you see represented in the great pictures.  It's amazingly beautiful land.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 03:55:56 PM »

It is a pretty sad situation, really, that nobody wants to talk about.  You see, he was instructed to kill all of the gophers but due to the eardrum damage he suffered from having to listen to Joe Hancock's choice of music, he actually heard "golfers."  Being the dutiful employee that he is, he followed through with the instructions as ordered.

Fortunately, Mr. Johnston is a believer in redemption and agreed to employ Sir Mahaffey while he works through what is likely to be a nasty court case.
Know any good lawyers?

JC Jones

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 03:57:22 PM »
Mike Whitaker is a fantastic lawyer, and well respected.  I am only one of those two, I'll let you decide which.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jim Colton

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 04:00:27 PM »
Looks remarkable. Good call to cross the road!

Ron Csigo

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 04:13:52 PM »
Mike Whitaker is a fantastic lawyer, and well respected.  I am only one of those two, I'll let you decide which.

You forgot c) None of the above
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 08:56:10 PM »
Aidan

Outstanding!

Simply, Outstanding!

Tim Martin

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 08:59:52 PM »

Thanks but I'll be fishing off the New Jersey coast this weekend.

The water must be a little choppy huh? ;)

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 09:16:53 PM »
Thank you Chris. Are you on your second Guinness?  :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back