News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Dunfanaghy GC, Co. Donegal, Ireland - Photo tour
« on: August 10, 2011, 05:33:44 PM »
The small picturesque town of Dunfanaghy lies on the western side of Sheephaven Bay in northern Donegal. The golf course is situated on a narrow strip of land between Dunfanaghy and Portnablagh. Dunfanaghy Golf Club was founded in 1906 and affiliated to the Golfing Union of Ireland in 1920. According to the club's centenary book, golf may have been played there as early as the 1740s by British soldiers stationed at the barracks. The book, published in 2006 mentions the existence of a golf course connected to the Stewart Arms Hotel since 1886.

The Stewart Arms Hotel (centre of picture)

In the early days, golfers made their way along the town road and then turned left down the lane way where the little boy is standing in the foreground.

Present day Dunfanaghy viewed from the seventeenth tee.

The original first tee (now the 18th tee) was located directly in line with the church spire.

1897 advertisement for Stewart Arms Hotel listing golf as one of the attractions.

The generally accepted view is that Harry Vardon designed the course in 1906. This seems reasonable, as he also raised the Rosapenna course to "championship dignity" in the Spring of the same year. The two courses are within an hours carriage ride of one another, so it's possible that he worked on both courses during this particular visit to Ireland.

There is little doubt that the course had been recently modified prior to Edgar S. Shrubsole's visit in 1908, as he wrote in his book Picturesque Donegal that:

when the links are got in proper order, this course should rank high in the estimation of the most exacting golfers, for, although they are newly laid out, the turf is excellent quality, the greens are natural, and there are many natural bunkers.

Shrubsole goes on to say that the 18 hole course has been specially laid out by Mr. Sterritt for the use of his guests, thus casting doubt on the notion that Vardon designed the course in 1906. In addition, the course description given by Shrubsole bears little resemblance to the present day's course. One thing is certain, if Vardon did design the course in 1906, it has undergone significant alterations in the intervening years.

Vardon did return to Donegal in June 1910, but the primary purpose of his visit was to participate in a professional match at Rosapenna between John Ball Jnr., George Duncan and Alexander "Sandy" Herd. He may have visited Dunfanaghy at this time, or perhaps even later in 1927, when he re-designed the course at Bundoran.  

Unfortunately the answers to these questions are not contained in the centenary book, so let's dispense with the speculation and proceed to describe the course as we find it today.

I should declare that I have a great fondness for Dunfanaghy; some would call it bias, or even blind devotion. I have always regarded it as a type of "feel good" course. The course provides plenty of opportunities for birdies, so one sometimes feels like a top class golfer. This feeling doesn't usually last long, as there are several holes where the course can claw back those hard earned low scores. Some golfers might say that the course is too short, but I disagree. The shortest par four is 283 mtrs, with the longest stretching to 392 mtrs. The solitary par five on the back nine is 500 mtrs, and the five par threes range from 124 mtrs to 209 mtrs long. The par is 68 (SSS 67) and the course measures 5300 mtrs.

Several holes have been stretched a little in recent years by moving some tees back a few mtrs where possible, so that it now plays about 200 mtrs longer than it did in the 1980s. Only two small modification have been made to the routing in the last thirty years; the second tee was moved in the 1980s, and the 6th tee was pushed back about 70 mtrs in the late 1990s or early 2000s. Some new bunkers have also been added.

Dunfanaghy routing; holes 1-4, 11-18

Dunfanaghy routing; holes 4-11

The course played very firm and fast when I visited it recently. I don't recall seeing any sprinkler heads, but if there is an irrigation system in place, there was no evidence of it being used. The fairways were very firm and dry, and all approach shots had to be landed well short of the greens. I would describe the conditions as quintessentially links like.

HOLE 1: Trustee Four, 316 MTRS, PAR 4, S.I. 11.

The first hole appears benign enough when one glances at the score card. At 316 mtrs, it shouldn't cause much trouble, but it does. Hard up against the right hand side of the hole is the OOB boundary. As if OOB isn't bad enough, one must also contend with a wind coming from the left that blows anything with "slice" written on it even further right. As we waited at the first tee while two threeballs hit off, it became obvious how magnetic the OOB is. One-in-three of the players hit their tee shots OOB.

The view from the first tee (above). The green lies in a direction just to the left of the bin in the centre of the photograph. The hole curves gently from right to left, so the ideal line off the tee is directly over the bin in the foreground. The green might be drivable if the wind is at your back.

A drain that is not visible from the tee, runs across the fairway approximately 150 mtrs from the tee. The left side of the fairway is guarded by a lone bunker and one should play to the right of it.

A drive that strays left and carries (180 mtrs) this recently added bunker will end up in rough that is not that troublesome. Considering that there's OOB to the right, the left side is not such a bad place to end up.

The view from about 180 mtrs out. The fairway is quite generous and one now gets a better idea of how the hole curves to the left.

The view back towards the clubhouse and first tee. The OOB stakes are visible on the left.

As with nearly all the greens at Dunfanaghy, the entrance is usually open and perfectly suited for the ground game. With such firm ground, the approach shot needs to land several yards short of the green, allowing the ball to roll the rest of the way to the flagstick. Watch out for the drain behind the green.

The view from the right side of the fairway. A good angle to approach today's pin position.

A view from just a little short and right of the green. If one managed to hit a huge drive, it now becomes clear that getting the pitch to stop close to the flag will not be so easy.

The view from right of the green. The drain to the rear of the green is no more that a few yards from the putting surface, so any approach hit too boldly will find a watery grave. One now appreciates that a "helping wind" is not really that helpful. Over clubbing on this hole will get you in big trouble.

HOLE 2: The Burn, 148 MTRS, PAR 3, S.I. 13.

The second tee is situated just to the right of the first fairway. The hole runs in much the same direction as the first hole, but this was not always the case. The old tee was located to the left of the first green and the green was approached at a 60-70 degree angle to the present hole. The tee was relocated in the late 1980s, presumably the purpose being to bring the drain that curves around the right side of the second green more into play. This new tee location causes some safety issues, as the players walking from the first green to the second tee must walk back up the side of the first fairway. The new tee has robbed the course of a hole that played in a very different direction to all the others. As a result of this, the course now begins with the first six holes heading out in much the same direction.

The view of the second hole from the tee. It appears more intimidating than it really is.

The same drain that runs behind the first green is more apparent from the ladies tee.

As one approaches the drain, you also realise that there is more room between the drain and the front of the green. The club have built a number of stone bridges in recent years.

There are some nice small bumps and dips at the front and right side of the green.

A view of the green from the left side. This bunker is ready to catch any shot that is hit left off the tee.

Another look at the second green. This would have been the view that one had when looking back to the old second tee. The old tee was just above the flagstick and beyond the stone bridge in the background. The old tee is still being maintained, so I assume the club use it occasionally. The first green is visible in the background.

The meandering drain that makes a more dangerous re-appearance at the 13th.

A view from behind looking back towards the tee (in extreme left of picture). There is more room between the green and drain that runs along the right, than one sees when standing on the tee. The green is quite large with plenty of room for recovery on all sides.

A final look at the second green.

HOLE 3: Kill, 363 MTRS, PAR 4, S.I. 3.

The third hole continues in the same direction is the second. At one time, this was the most difficult par four on the course, but that title is now held by the recently lengthened fifth hole.

The ideal line off the tee is down the left side of the fairway. The greenside bunker guards the right side of the green and the ridge to the right of the green throws everything either left or right. A drive hit down the right side of the fairway will leave the player with an extremely difficult approach shot if the flag is towards the front of the green. This solitary greenside bunker dictates the strategy off the tee, and is a lesson on how a hole can be made interesting with just one bunker.

A view of the third hole from the tee.

The fairway is quite generous and not without character.

The view from about 200 m from the green.

The left side of the fairway is the ideal position to approach the green. A fading approach shot is recommended from here.

The scene from 120 mtrs out. Today's flag is positioned at the front; any shots landing on the green will be too strong.  

At one time, the third hole shared the same fairway with the 12th hole that runs in the opposite direction. The two holes have now been separated by the insertion of a number of artificial looking mounds between both fairways. This is a view of the mounds (the 12th fairway is at right). In my opinion, the mounds are too high, look totally out of place, and were not necessary. This is after all, the flattest part of the golf course.

The ground leading up to the green slopes to the left ever so slighty, which ensures that a pitch shot from this position will be quite tricky.

A look back down the third fairway. The tee is located just to the right of the large copse of trees in the centre of the picture.

The green, which is perhaps the longest on the course, is also one of the most interesting. There are some lovely natural swales and slopes throughout the green. The left side of the green falls off into small depressions.

A final view of the green from the fourth tee. The 12th tee is in the background.

HOLE 4: Canyon, 347 MTRS, PAR 4, S.I. 5.

And so our journey continues as we head out to the farthest point on the course. The fourth hole is another par four (there are 12 in total on the course) that plays very differently, depending on the wind direction.

The OOB fence is clearly visible from the tee, and this is the only real concern with the drive.

The holes curves gently to the left. As with the third and 12th holes, at one time the fourth hole shared the same fairway with the 11th hole that runs in the opposite direction. The two holes have now been separated by more artificial looking mounds between both fairways.

The view from about 180 mtrs from the green; another generous fairway. The golfers has no knowledge of the trouble that awaits 30 mtrs short of the green.

If you duffed or topped your approach shot to the green, you may be wondering as you walk towards the green, where your ball is and what is that dark line crossing the fairway. The stream only becomes visible when one is within 50 mtrs. In calm conditions, the stream may not pose a major problem, but if there is a stiff wind against, it becomes more of a concern.

The edges of the stream have now been stabilized, but in the 1980s, the banks were rough and sloped and the stream was wider and shallower. One had the possibility to play a recovery shot from the stream, but is no longer the case today. The green is set back about 30 m from the stream, so it's possible to hit this green, even when the wind is with you. The green is relatively flat and should not cause the golfer too much trouble. The red flag in the background is for the 10th green.

A look back down the fairway to the tee (situated just below the gabled house).

A view back down the fourth hole. The 11th hole is visible on the right side of the photograph.

HOLE 5: Breenagh Lodge, 330 MTRS, PAR 4, S.I. 9.

The fifth hole is another shortish par four that dog-legs gently left. The fairway rises ever so slightly towards one of the most interesting greens on the course. The fairway sits on a raised plateau whose edge runs up the whole left side of the fairway. The main concern from the tee is the OOB to the right, but a pulled drive may leave the player in thickish rough and an obscured view of the green.

The view from the tee. The green is in the centre of the photograph, but the direction to take off the tee is towards the two gentlemen walking just right of centre.

Another generous fairway!

The fairway narrows about 50 mtrs from the green, but this should be of no concern to the player that is able to drive it 250+ mtrs, as the rough is not penal.

As one approaches the green, it becomes crystal clear that landing the second shot short and expecting it to run on to the green, was the wrong choice.

Whether man made or not, the trough like feature that extends across the front entrance of the green adds so much more to a hole that might otherwise be considered rather ordinary. I assume this feature is totally natural, but it just goes to show how such a simple feature can enhance a hole greatly.

Why don't we see features like this on modern courses?

The aerial route might be the best option if one finds himself just short of the green. But with the day's hole location, will the ball stop?  

Perhaps a chip-and-run is in order.

A look back down the hole towards the tee (located beside the little white shed). The 10th hole is to the right. The green is packed with interest. Notice the ridge running diagonally across the green.

A second look at this undulating green.  

A view of the green from the left side.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 07:42:54 PM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Terry Lavin

Re: Dunfanaghy GC, Co. Donegal, Ireland - Photo tour (1st hole posted)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 09:24:03 PM »
Keep it coming!  Looks like a gem.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: Dunfanaghy GC, Co. Donegal, Ireland - Photo tour (1st hole posted)
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 05:09:28 AM »
Keep it coming!  Looks like a gem.

Terry,

Is it a real gem, and the holes coming up are better than the preceeding ones. Hole 2 is posted now.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: Dunfanaghy GC, Co. Donegal, Ireland - Photo tour (3rd hole posted)
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 06:36:08 PM »
Apologies for only posting one hole at a time; I'll try not to drag this photo tour on for too long. Hole 3 is now posted.

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Dunfanaghy GC, Co. Donegal, Ireland - Photo tour (4th hole posted)
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 01:50:02 AM »
Thanks Donal I ike the idea of a hole named "Kill".

Photo's make everything look flat, does the course play away from town to  wards elevation or is it all about subtle shiting sands?
Let's make GCA grate again!

jeffwarne

Re: Dunfanaghy GC, Co. Donegal, Ireland - Photo tour (3rd hole posted)
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 04:22:34 AM »
Apologies for only posting one hole at a time; I'll try not to drag this photo tour on for too long. Hole 3 is now posted.

Please drag it on for awhile.
great memories

10 euro green fee for the 14 hole Open (15 since we played all 18 ;D)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Martin Toal

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 05:38:28 AM »
Donal

Looks great. My wife has inherited a bungalow right opposite the course which we are planning to renovate. Looks like I can leave my spare set of clubs over there!

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 08:37:37 AM »
Thanks Donal I ike the idea of a hole named "Kill".

Photo's make everything look flat, does the course play away from town to  wards elevation or is it all about subtle shiting sands?

Tony,

I'm a bit rusty with my Irish language, but "Kill" is an English corruption of the Irish word "Cill" which I'm fairly sure means cell or church. There must have been a church somewhere in the distance at some time. The area the course sits on is called Killahoey.

The first 4 holes are fairly flat, but the pictures probably make them look even flatter. Holes 6-10 are on the highest ground and are the most interesting.

Please drag it on for awhile.
great memories

10 euro green fee for the 14 hole Open (15 since we played all 18 ;D)

Jeff,

That's what myself and my father paid. It was their open week (or rather their open 11 days) and I could have played about 5-6 competitions that week, all for just €15 each. Anyone planning to visit Dunfanaghy should come at the end of July. €15 for non members and the chance to win something. You couldn't beat it with a stick!

Keep 'em coming Donal - do you plan to map out the County of Donegal in photo-tour form?! Am eyeing up a trip there for sometime next year. I'll have to pick your brains at some stage...

Brian,

My visit was just for a few days, but I did manage to take quite a few photos. I will do a photo tour of Sandy Hills (Rosapenna) and the first 10 holes of Old Tom Morris (also Rosapenna). I also walked the abandonded St. Patrick's course, so will post some photos of it as well, as well as a small parkland 9 holer called Cloughaneely.

Here's a very amateurish photo tour I did for Gweedore GC a couple of year back:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41990.msg893883.html#msg893883

I will try to answer any questions you have. Jeff Warne played most of the Donegal courses in May, so he is more qualified to give an opinion (plus accommodation info) as it's been many years since I played some of them.

Donal

Looks great. My wife has inherited a bungalow right opposite the course which we are planning to renovate. Looks like I can leave my spare set of clubs over there!

Martin,

You're a lucky man. You could take out country membership there. Dunfanaghy is a lively town in the Summer; full of tourists and has great attractions like Horn Head, the beach, etc.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Dunfanaghy GC, Co. Donegal, Ireland - Photo tour (6th hole posted)
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 06:24:05 PM »
HOLE 6: The Blagh, 392 MTRS, PAR 4, S.I. 1.

The sixth hole brings us to the Portnablagh end of the course. The hole, which plays uphill, was lengthed by about 50 mtrs a few years ago and is justifiably assigned a stroke index one. With OOB all along the right and rough all the way up the left side, Dunfanaghy finally has a long par four that will test even the best of golfers.

The view from the tee. The flag is visible but the green is obscured by the rising ground in the landing area.

Approaching the fairway; the OOB boundary is less of a threat in the landing area.

The fairway narrows after the landing area ...

... but widens again as the green is approached. The OOB edges closer as we get closer to the green, and in calm conditions, should only be an issue for a badly blocked or sliced approach.

The ground rises as we approach a green that is quite narrow and is wedged in between one large dune on the left side and a smaller dune on the right side.

Leaving your second shot short and left is clearly not good play, considering the day's pin position.

The difficulty of the recovery shot is cleary evident from this photograph. Unfortunately I did not get the opportunity to take a photograph from the other side as the threeball behind us were on our heels. The slope on the other side is quite steep and because of this, it is only possible to clip the grass manually with a strimmer. The grass is a little longer and wispy, so I attempted to pitch to the top of the mound and trust that it would run through the longer grass. It did, but the ball ran about 8 feet past the hole. If the ball is hit too weakly, it will get trapped in the grass bank.

The long grass on the other side of the mound is just visible from this angle (left side of green as you walk to the 7th tee).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 04:24:17 PM by Donal OCeallaigh »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Dunfanaghy GC, Co. Donegal, Ireland - Photo tour (7th hole posted)
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 08:18:41 AM »
HOLE 7: Canon, 209 MTRS, PAR 3, S.I. 7.

It is now time to change direction and up the tempo a bit. While the first six holes have been interesting, it is the next four holes that will linger longest in our memories. The highest point on the golf course is reached after a brief climb up to the seventh tee. The climb has been worthwhile, as the view from this part of the course is simply breathtaking. The whole course stretches out in front of us. It is quite easy to forget that you have a 200 plus meter par three to tackle, as you survey the wonderful Killahoey beach and Horn Head in the distance to our right.

The glorious view from the seventh tee. The ninth green can be seen in the foreground, with the 10th tee just above it.

To our right lies the eighth green and Horn Head in the distance. Horn Head should not be missed; the scenery on the other side of the head is spectacular.

As we stood on the 7th tee and admired the panoramic view from the highest point on the course, my father took a pause and sat down on the bench erected in memory of Bernard Hanlon. I was busy taking photographs and when the green had cleared I turned to get ready to tee off, but noticed my father sitting on the bench. My father is not one for showing his emotions, but I could sense that he wanted me to take a picture; I was going to suggest I take one anyway. He sat there, and would probably have let this opportunity pass - but I wouldn't, so I eventually said, "Do you want me to take a photograph?", and he replied quickly, "Oh yes, yes".

My father knew Bernard Hanlon very well; they had a regular four ball and played in senior competitions throughout Donegal. Bernard Hanlon was a past Captain and President of Dunfanaghy GC. He was also a former member of Gweedore GC and made many modification to both courses. He was a very fine golfer, playing off 3 and competed in the East of Ireland Championship. The whole golfing community was shocked to hear of Bernard's death in March 2010. Bernard's body was found in waters about five miles from Downings Pier (close to Rosapenna). He was 67 years old. R.I.P.

How's she cuttin' or in other words, how's it going?

The task facing the golfer is quite straightforward. At 209 mtrs, the seventh is the longest par three on the course, and surely was a bogey 4 hole in Vardon's time. A driver, and maybe a bit more, will be needed if the prevailing wind in blowing. If the wind is helping, as it was for my round, the bigger hitters might get home with as little as a 5 iron. With the course being very firm, I managed to hit a 3 iron about 20 yards short and watched the ball bump along and pass just right of the flag and finally stop about 20 feet behind the hole. I was quite amazed that I could hit a 3 iron over 210 mtrs, but it wasn't such a great feat when the one club wind, 30-40 feet drop and firm ground is taken into account.

The bunkerless seventh green. The ground is slightly raised to the right and rear of the green, so a running shot to the right of the flag will be steered in to the centre. The left side of the green also slopes towards the centre.  

A view back up the hill to the elevated tee.

There is plenty of room for a recovery shot, if one misses the green.

A final look at the seventh green as we proceed to the eighth tee.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 04:23:41 PM by Donal OCeallaigh »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Dunfanaghy GC, Co. Donegal, Ireland - Photo tour (8th hole posted)
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 04:20:11 PM »
HOLE 8: Sheephaven, 283 MTRS, PAR 4, S.I. 15.

The eighth hole doubles back in a north-easterly direction and presents the golfer with the first blind shot of the day. At 283 mtrs, this hole should be nothing more than a drive and a flick for the low handicapper. However, reaching quickly for the driver is definitely a risky choice for anyone that has a tendency to hook the ball.

The little white rock indicates the line to take off the tee.

The folly in grabbing the driver will become apparent in the next photograph.

A sea inlet (OB) borders the left side of the fairway and will catch any drive that is hooked badly. Even a well hit drive that is tweaked ever so slightly left risks crossing the OB line. Therefore, one option is to play a 3 wood or hybrid off the tee. As can be seen, the fairway is quite narrow and has an elongated Z shape.

Here's a different view of the left side of the hole, viewed from the 10th tee.

The ideal spot to play your second shot from.

The fairway "runs out" on the left side, but the semi-rough is so trampled by players approaching the green, that it is actually quite a good spot to hit your approach from; the lies being quite fluffy.

Looking back towards the tee from the right side of the fairway. It is only when you walk up the right side of the fairway and take a look back, that you realise that that little white rock on the hill directs drives to the left side of the fairway. Once you know this, it isn't such a bad idea to take a driver and aim a few yards right of the white rock.

A decent drive hit a little right will hopefully land in this part of the fairway. The approach from here will be partially or totally blind, as the fairway in this area is quite a bit lower than the green level.

The golfer has less than 100 yards to the green from here.

As we saw on the approach to the 5th green, a shot landing short will result in an uncertain outcome, as these humps and hollows deflect balls in all directions.

A look back down the hole. The tee is in line with the flagstick over the distant hill. Although the green appears relatively flat, there are some less than obvious slopes that make birdies difficult to come by.

The view from the left side of the green.

A final view of the 8th green from the 9th tee.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:11:17 AM by Donal OCeallaigh »

jeffwarne

Re: Dunfanaghy GC, Co. Donegal, Ireland - Photo tour (8th hole posted)
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 04:37:06 PM »
Once Sean sees 9 and 10 he'll be booking his flight. ;D

Holes 6-10 are as good as it gets, and the others keep your attention
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Dunfanaghy GC, Co. Donegal, Ireland - Photo tour (9th hole posted)
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 05:34:25 PM »
HOLE 9: The Beat, 124 MTRS, PAR 3, S.I. 17.

The par three ninth is without doubt Dunfanaghy's "signature hole" and is located at the very eastern end of the course.

Up to a few years ago, this would have been the view from the tee, but a new tee has been placed out at the edge of the sea just above the crashing waves.

The new tee location provides wonderful views of the surroundings and also a sterner test.

The beach is OB, so there are no prizes for being short.

The bunker, that was originally on the left side of the green is now at the rear and makes the day's hole location a little more interesting. The change in the direction of approach to this green has made it a more challenging hole. Previously, the green sloped towards the front and to a lesser extent, towards the back. It was quite easy to pitch a ball on to the front of the green and set up an easy par or birdie. Viewed from the new tee, the green appears almost saddle like, and the slope to the left plays a greater role in the end result.

Approaching the green from the left side.

What a glorious day and what a glorious setting.

The green falls off at the back where there is a drop of approximately 3 feet. One could best describe it as a trough running through the back of the green. It is much more pronounced than it appears in the photograph.

A view of the green from high above on the 10th tee. The 8th hole is in the background.

The new tee is to the left and the old tee is to the right where the bench is situated.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 05:36:39 PM by Donal OCeallaigh »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Dunfanaghy GC, Co. Donegal, Ireland - Photo tour (10th-11th holes posted)
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 05:48:31 PM »
HOLE 10: Killahoey, 284 MTRS, PAR 4, S.I. 16.

The thrilling tenth holes awaits after a short climb from the ninth green.

At 284 mts (measured the long way), it is an obvious birdie opportunity for most golfers. Should one go directly for the green and risk catching one of those nasty little bunkers - and suffer that agony of dropping a shot at such an easy hole - or should one take the safer line to the left and walk away with an easy par or even a birdie?

The golfer that is unsure of carrying the beach can choose to play the hole as a standard par four. There is little trouble down the left, provided the drive isn't hit too strong nor hooked badly. A slightly more agressive line is directly over the wooden ladder leading to the sea, played of course with a litte fade. The main concern with this direction, is the rough that needs to be cleared.

The direct line requires a drive of approximately 200 yards to clear the sea, with an additional 70 yards needed to avoid the cluster of bunkers just short of the green.

A short drive down the left side may leave a slightly obscured approach, but the lie should be good.

The three bunkers protecting the agressive line to the green are a fairly recent addition.

A look back towards the tee along the safer left line. The fairway is more generous than it appeared when up on the tee.

If the golfer chooses to play his drive left, the resulting approach is quite straightforward.

The green appears quite quite flat, but the day's hole location is not so easy, as the green rises a little towards the small sand hill.

HOLE 11: Sandhill, 298 MTRS, PAR 4, S.I. 18.

Despite being stroke index 18, the OOB looms large on the right hand side. Provided this initial danger is avoided, this hole should not pose too many problems. The fairway is quite flat, but the green has some lovely undulations which more than make up for the blandness of the walk from tee to green.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 06:00:43 PM by Donal OCeallaigh »

Sean_A

Re: Dunfanaghy GC, Co. Donegal, Ireland - Photo tour (10th-11th holes posted)
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 03:35:03 AM »
Below is my favourite pic so far; not because of the quality, but because of what it shows - restraint.  This very same hole in the hands of even the best archies of today would be tarted up between the beach and green with bunkers or something else unnecessary.  Its a pleasure to see well enough left alone. 

Now for the flip side of the coin.  Why wasn't that cops running up the right extended up to the green to house the bunker and even pour a bit left of the bunker?

Donal - thanks for the pix.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 04:42:15 AM »
Sean,

I agree with you about the 9th. It's simple and doesn't need any more bunkers. Anything landing short of the green will require a very delicate pitch, most probably from a position where only the top of the flagstick is visible.

That area to the right of the 3rd green is raised a few feet higher than the green. It is an extension of the ridge you are referring to, but it becomes broader as it approaches the green. The bunker is dug in to the ridge a little, but it is not revealed so well in the pictures. I'm kind of glad that the club have not had the resources to implement "improvements" that would involve re-shaping mounds, as it would be so easy to muck it up big time.

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 09:16:59 AM »
Sean,

I agree with you about the 9th. It's simple and doesn't need any more bunkers. Anything landing short of the green will require a very delicate pitch, most probably from a position where only the top of the flagstick is visible.

That area to the right of the 3rd green is raised a few feet higher than the green. It is an extension of the ridge you are referring to, but it becomes broader as it approaches the green. The bunker is dug in to the ridge a little, but it is not revealed so well in the pictures. I'm kind of glad that the club have not had the resources to implement "improvements" that would involve re-shaping mounds, as it would be so easy to muck it up big time.

3 is a really cool green and I love the simplicity of the lone bunker on the right which comes into play due to the right to left shaping of the land and green.
There's a pretty good faloff off on the left leaving some interesting chips

Mike Hendren

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 10:48:03 AM »
Donal, please tell me the cottages in the background are ultra-expensive so I can eliminate this locale as a desirable retirement option in a dozen years!

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

jeffwarne

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 11:06:45 AM »
Donal, please tell me the cottages in the background are ultra-expensive so I can eliminate this locale as a desirable retirement option in a dozen years!

Mike

Couldn't locate yourself any better.
Narin and Portnoo, Donegal GC, Cruit, Gweedore, Portsalon, Rosapenna x 2, Portsalon, Otway all inside an hour (many much closer)
Northwest, ballyliffin x 2 ......

houses not ultra expensive anymore....

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 04:30:02 PM »

Mike

Mike,

If you asked that question 3 years ago, I would have said they were, but prices have dropped up to 40% in recent years. Many, if not most of those houses are holiday homes, and I believe there is no shortage of empty ones in the country right now. Having said that, Dunfanaghy is a very popular town with "northerners", as they can travel across from Belfast and other parts in a about two and a half hours; perfect for a weekend trip.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

HOLE 12: Spire, 355 MTRS, PAR 4, S.I. 4.

The twelveth hole continues along rather flattish ground in the direction of the clubhouse. Although only 355 mtrs in length, it tends to play a little longer than this, as it plays into the prevailing wind.

The hole is bunkerless, but there is danger in the shape of OB that is very much a threat to the player prone to slicing.

The edge of a plateau runs diagonally across the fairway all the way up to the right side of the green. It is visible in the centre of the above photograph. I feel that this hole could be greatly improved with the addition of a pair of bunkers dug into the sloped edge of the plateau. The fairway beyond the plateau is not visible from the tee, and a pair of diagonal bunkers would make the drive more of a challenge.

The approach to the green is rather flat, although one can see the edge of the plateau to the right. It would be nice to see such a natural feature better utilised; perhaps the fairway could be moved a little to the right, if not the green itself.

A view back down the 12th hole.

HOLE 13: Horn Head, 147 MTRS, PAR 3, S.I. 14.

This tricky par three is played over more flat ground, and more often than not, into the breeze. What is not visible from the tee is a drain that winds its way across the hole, no more than 10 yards in front of the green. In addition to that, the green is surrounded by three hidden bunkers that only compound the difficulty.

The only indication the visiting golfer gets of the drain while standing on the tee, is two stone bridges on either side of the approach.

The drain finally becomes visible when the player is within a few yards of it; at this stage is may be too late.

The ball in the picture had a narrow escape, and a par is now a distinct possibility.

Although many of Dunfanaghy's greens appear flat - on closer inspection, it becomes apparent that they do possess some wonderful and natural little humps and hollows. The 13th green is not without interest. I would assume that the majority of the greens were simply mowed when they were first played, rather than being constructed by sodding or seeding. The greens appear to be closely mown extensions of the fairways, and were "designed" with consideration for the running game. It would require a master in shaping to come up with some of the remarkable "micro" undulations we have seen on the 3rd, 5th, 9th, and 11th greens, for example.

Another view of the menacing drain that winds its way across the course. This is the same drain that runs in front of the second green, behind the first green, before continuing in front of this green and just in front of the next tee.

A look back at the 13th hole from the 14th fairway.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 05:47:53 AM by Donal OCeallaigh »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: Dunfanaghy GC, Co. Donegal, Ireland - Photo tour (14th hole posted)
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 05:26:14 PM »
HOLE 14: Warren, 331 MTRS, PAR 4, S.I. 2.

The fourteenth brings the golfer back to within 100 yards of the clubhouse. This is quite convenient, as the club organizes a very popular 14-hole competition when the evenings are short.

A drain crosses the fairway at about 230 mtrs. Shorter hitters can confidently take a driver off the tee, but for the longer players, a fairway wood or hyrid is the wiser choice. Besides, there is very little advantage to be gained in trying to carry the drain, and the risk involved is just too great in my opinion.

The view from the tee. The drain in the foreground is not in play, except for a topped shot.

A couple of recently added fairway bunkers flank the right side of the fairway, suitably located to catch a drive seeking a more advantageous angle of approach to the green.

After laying up about 20 mtrs from the drain, all that is left is a shot of about 120 mtrs.

The green is partially hidden by a small dune that is quite overgrown with long grass. A lone bunker protects the right side of the green.

It's best not to miss this green short and left and the rough is quite thick.

There is a raised shoulder on the right that if used correctly, can release approaches to the centre of the green. But beware of the hidden bunker!

Missing the green long and to the right is no disaster.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: Dunfanaghy GC, Co. Donegal, Ireland - Photo tour (15th hole posted)
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 05:43:02 PM »

HOLE 15: Breaghy, 364 MTRS, PAR 4, S.I. 6.

The 15th is initially slightly downhill for the drive and can be a tough proposition when playing into the wind. The same drain that caused us to ponder club selection on the 14th tee, may be less of a nuisance for the longer hitter, but is now a real concern for the shorter player, as it bisects the fairway at about 170 mtrs.

There are a couple of bunkers down the left side of the fairway, but the fairway is quite generous, so there's no need to flirt with danger.

The greenside bunker to the right is cut quite close to the green and makes the day's pin position a bit more interesting.

A view of the green from the left side. With the course playing very firm in the summer, the golfer can afford to land his approach short of the green and let it roll to the flag.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: Dunfanaghy GC, Co. Donegal, Ireland - Photo tour (16th hole posted)
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 06:41:52 PM »
HOLE 16: Catherine's Isle, 500 MTRS, PAR 5, S.I. 8.

There is a real sting in the tail at Dunfanaghy, as the final three holes is as tough a stretch of holes as there is on the course. All three are potential card wreakers.

The count down begins with a terrific par five. Although Dunfanaghy has only one par five, in a duel to determine the best hole on the course, the 16th would certainly be in with a shout, along with the 17th. It may well be one of the best par fives in the county.

This hole curves gently to the right and is a real test indeed. If one wishes to get home in two, the drive should be positioned down the right side of the fairway. The second shot will then need to be an all-carry strike - most likely into the wind - of 220 mtrs plus, over some of the nastiest rough on the course, to a raised green, with OB just a few mtrs off the back edge.

Yet again, a drain crosses the fairway just a little short of where the players are positioned. One might get the impression that the course is awash with drains, but there are just three.

Not another drain! The green is located just beyond where the person on the right is standing.

After safely negotiating the drain with the tee shot, the player now has to decide if he should go for the green or take a more cautious line. All that the player will see is the top of the flag and some of the finest rough Dunfanaghy has to offer in between.

Laying up is no pushover either. The fairway gradually narrows as we approach the turn, and the approach from the lay up area will be partially or totally blind. This is the view from just past the road.

A view from just in front of the fairway bunker on the inside of the dogleg.

The task presented to the golfer after taking quite a conservative lay up line. The flag is just visible, but the visiting golfer has no idea that a hollow lies just short of the green.

Notice the proximity of the OB stakes to the rear of the green. What's not clear in this photograph is the hollow that the ball is lying in. The ground leading up the the green rises and dips and rises again, only to finally fall just before the green. Balls landing onto the downslope a few mtrs short of the green, may very well end up in rough behind the green, or worse, OB.

A look back down the "as-the-crow-flies" line to the tee which is located to the left in the distance.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: Dunfanaghy GC, Co. Donegal, Ireland - Photo tour (17th hole posted)
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 07:34:55 PM »
HOLE 17: Carraig Rua, 171 MTRS, PAR 3, S.I. 10.

Ahh this is the life indeed!! The view from the 17th tee.

The 17th is a cracking par three; without doubt the best par three on the course, if not the best hole on the course. The green, which sits on a raised plateau, is angled to the line of play. There is OB to the right and a single bunker is located immediately left of the green slap bang where you'd most likely play to, assuming you're concerned about the dangers to the right.

This hole appears quite intimidating from the tee, that there seems to be nothing but rough between tee and green, and OB to the right.

The area short-right of the green is a few feet below the surface level of the green, and any shot coming to ground here will simply stay here. As Sean mentioned earlier - when he commented on the 9th hole - it would be very tempting to dig two or three bunkers into the slope, but it's obvious that this is not necessary. It is penalty enough to have to play a recovery chip from here, and a lot more interesting.

There is clearly more short grass bordering the green, than appeared when viewed from the tee. The approach to the green is open and perfectly geared for a shot that lands short and trickles on.

Ending up left of the bunker is not good at all with the day's hole location.

Why have 3 or 4 bunkers when you can have just one that is positioned perfectly, and has such a huge influence on the hole strategy.

The green slopes a little from the front to the middle and then rises a little towards the back.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:56:13 AM by Donal OCeallaigh »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back