News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

A few days in Yorkshire: Flamborough Head, Ganton completed
« on: August 01, 2011, 12:22:37 PM »
Back in June, I was fortunate enough to have a few days free to explore a bit of Yorkshire.  Today being Yorkshire Day gave me the nudge needed to post a few photos from the trip.

I disregarded good advice and parked in York for a brief look around.  This view of the river Ouse was a nice place to start.

Near the river is about all that is left of York Castle - Clifford’s Tower.  Great views of the city from on top.

A short walk along cobbled streets took me to the York Minster, a spectacular Gothic cathedral.  

Outside of the Minster is this statue of Constantine, who became Roman Emperor whilst in York.

As lovely a city as York was, I really needed some golf in my system.  With a visit to Ganton coming up, I figured a bit of practice somewhere the day before would be a good idea.  I started reading a number of GCA threads, and came across a reference Mark Rowlinson made to Flamborough Head.  

Flamborough Head Golf Links was built in 1931, and overlooks the North Sea.  Though it would not play like a links, I figured some great views and sea air would be a good way to keep awake on my first day in the country.  I dawdled a bit too much in York, and by the time I got to Flamborough Head it was about 6:30 at night.  I was able to pay the bartender and had the course pretty much to myself.  

The fairways were a little shaggy and the greens were both soft and slow.  A shame things weren’t a bit firmer, as the course has some good holes.   The third is a par 3 of about 160 yards with the green partially hidden from the tee.  Nice contour on the green.  This photo from the left side of the green shows the reason behind the hole’s name, Block House.

Quite a few of the holes take advantage of high teeing grounds, lower fairways, then elevated greens.  The fourth is a prime example.  This green features a significant false front, just begging for firmer conditions.  From the right side of the green.

The lighthouse is known as the Old Beacon, and was built in 1674.

Perhaps the most scenic spot on the course is standing on the 10th tee.  The hole is around 150 yards and plays downhill to a green surrounded by bunkers in the front and an each side.  

Imagine this green playing firm.  I really wanted to use the slope as a backstop, but the ball just stopped. The club’s website mentions the hole being sometimes located on the top tier!

After the 10th, you walk back up near the 10th tee to play the 11th.  This is the first par 5, and it plays along the North Sea.  

The hazard on the right is pretty obvious, though from the side of this old WWII pillbox (out of play on the hole), you can see that the cliffs aren’t a straight drop down.

The small greens would present some challenge if firmer.  Note the way the 11th is built up in front.

From the rear of the green, note the subtle contours.

Standing on the 13th tee, you can look across the 11th fairway at the North Sea.  This hole is named Paul Jones.  At Flamborough Head in 1779, John Paul Jones and his ships defeated the British Navy in a famous battle. This was the occasion where he supposedly uttered the phrase “I have not yet begun to fight.”

The 14th a long par 4 that doglegs left.  Due to safety reasons, there is an internal out of bounds to protect players on the 13th (and 12th) holes.  I’ve never seen this before, but the OOB is defined by a ditch that I guess keeps some errant balls from making it onto the 13th hole.

Flamborough Head probably wouldn’t make anyone’s top courses list, but there is still much to like. The routing is necessarily intricate, since the course (including practice range, clubhouse, & parking) takes up under 90 acres. There are a few too many back and forth holes, but the green sites vary enough to keep it interesting.  Flamborough Head is only 6185 yards, but it features three par 4s that are 420 or longer, as well as three more that are 320 or shorter.  It was a fun course, and well worth the £15 twilight fee that I paid.  The views alone were worth that.  You even have two lighthouses to choose from.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 11:03:02 PM by John Mayhugh »

Tony_Muldoon

Re: A few days in Yorkshire: first up, Flamborough Head
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 03:53:38 AM »
Another masterful short essay.  

When I was young we used to read National Geographic or Time/Life for photo essays that showed us another world.  TV killed that.

Now some of the best things on the internet are these 'local' photo essays where the eye and tastes of the author come shining through reminding us of some home truths.

Thanks John I look forward to more.  You have a delightful lightness of touch that stands out on a board that (myself included) is sometimes far too serious about this game.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 04:03:38 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 05:05:08 AM »
Very nice, John. Thanks for showing us something new. The 10th and 11th look wonderful.

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 07:14:49 AM »
Thanks John.  Your tours give a wonderful sense of place. 

Steve_Roths

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 09:07:30 AM »
Brilliant as always John.  Please please please do more of these.  They are wonderful for some of us trapped at our desks day in and day out.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 12:22:32 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  Will try to get some of Ganton up tomorrow.

Tony,
I'm as guilty as anyone of taking things too seriously.  Visits to England tend to recalibrate me.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 05:56:55 PM »
thanks JOHN, loved the story and the pictures!  Last fall I choose to drive from Edinburgh to Heathrow (my flight was mixed up and BUDGET wanted a car taken south), I took back roads mostly and saw parts of England I'll remember for some time.  I used up all 27 hours.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 10:05:57 PM »
John, I always enjoy your tours, photos and commentary... but, really... whilst ?!?! You are taking this English stuff too seriously.  ;D
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 10:05:26 AM »

Well done again John. I like the way you present golf as an experience. Thanks for shareing.

Anthony

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 10:20:18 AM »
+1.  Nifty.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

john_stiles

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 10:24:21 AM »
John,

I like your proclivity towards the photos of the journey and the golf signs.

Now that you have a few days in England,  there should be no shortage of golf signs to photograph.

Anthiny's posts are always enioyable as well.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 11:50:54 AM »
Glad it worked out and that you enjoyed the course. I'm always a bit wary of recommending courses that wouldn't even make the top 1,000 let alone top 100, but there are SO many characterful golf courses in these islands. And at a snip of a green fee any shortcomings are forgiven. Thanks for sharing it with us.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 12:36:50 PM »
Mark,
I understand what you mean about giving recommendations.  Wish I could have seen Beverley as well.

Anthony,
One of these days I'll share my take on Cruden Bay with you.  I just have to get up there.

Mike,
At least I'm not talking about sharing the flavour of certain courses.

Thanks to all for the comments.  Hoping to get some Ganton photos up before the day is out.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 02:49:40 PM »
John, I always enjoy your tours, photos and commentary... but, really... whilst ?!?! You are taking this English stuff too seriously.  ;D

So civilisation is rubbing off on the man.  I guess it should be by now, with all the time he spends here.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

David Kelly

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 03:52:42 PM »
John,

How come every time you are in the UK the weather looks perfect?  When I go records are broken.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 04:23:54 PM »
John,

How come every time you are in the UK the weather looks perfect?  When I go records are broken.

We need to get connections to THE MAN.  I want to know when John books to go to England and Aidan Bradley books to go to Irealnd.  Those guys is on the inside.
Let's make GCA grate again!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 04:50:31 PM »

So civilisation is rubbing off on the man.  I guess it should be by now, with all the time he spends here.

If only your metric system wasn't so confusing.   ;D

David & Tony,
I'm just really lucky I guess.  I've played just over 50 rounds of golf in GB&I.  Of these, I've only gotten rained on five or six times, and then never for more than a couple of holes.  My day at Ganton was hot & humid, so conditions aren't always perfect.  But somehow I persevered.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
After my round at Flamborough Head, I drove up to Scarborough to spend the night.  Scarborough is a seaside resort town, but the beach was quiet when I departed in the morning.  Scarborough Castle is just visible at the top of the hill.

This might be an option for the next trip.

Ganton is a blink and you’ll miss it kind of town, but the club location is well noted.

The visitor’s locker room is a simple affair, and really all one needs.

I was thrilled to be able to play a club of Ganton’s stature on a Sunday.  Seems that Sunday is actually a slow day for the club, as evidenced by the parking lot at 10AM.

The view from the first tee is intimidating, with both gorse and bunkers in sight.  Fortunately (or rather unfortunately), there was not much wind during my play.  As hot as it was, I could have used it. 

Conditions were pretty firm, but not baked out.  With the firm ground, it’s easy to find one of the 100+ bunkers.  This greenside bunker on the 1st guarded the approach, with a similar one on the right side entrance.   I would love to have a £ for every bunker stair on the course.  On some holes, they looked more like ladders.

I thought the bunkering was mostly brilliant.  Two of my favorite holes were short par 4s. The 3rd features a long diagonal bunker that you can try to carry, play short of, or play right of.  The play to the right is dangerous due to OOB all along the right side, and gorse along the left really intimdates.

Playing 36 gave me the chance to try the tee shot from both the yellow & white tees.  Neither was easy, as the layup from the yellows felt just too short, and carrying the diagonal fairway bunker put the difficult front greenside bunker into easy range.  From the whites, carrying the diagonal bunker became a very difficult option, and laying up also just felt too short. 

From behind the green looking back.   My second time around on the hole I managed a bogey with three bunker shots, needing two of them to get out of the fairway bunker.

More to follow.

Brent Hutto

Re: A few days in Yorkshire: Flamborough Head, Ganton now added
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 11:11:49 AM »
I've only played the first several holes at Ganton and walked most of the first nine. Based on that limited sampling I'll say that Ganton is the first and so far only course for which the use of bunkering justifies extravagant praise in addition to whatever one thinks of the course's other aspects.

Much commentary on this forum or reviews of golf courses elsewhere lead one to believe that bunkers are the signal feature of a golf course. OK, maybe bunkers and greens. For my part, I've never found golf course bunkering to make any meaningful difference in my experience of the course beyond the aesthetic. That was before I saw Ganton. Maybe it just suited my game that day from the visitors tees but it actually does add a specific dimension to a large proportions of the shots one faces.

Of course that would just be a tiny thing if the course were not otherwise so brilliant. But it is definitely that. Top of my personal "must play" list although for me it's right up there with Dornoch in terms of travel inconvenience. No matter, I will get there one day before too many more summers pass. Thanks for the pictorial tour!

David Kelly

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 06:42:41 PM »
I really like the look of the bunkers and how low-profile they are.  Really looking forward to playing there so I am interested in seeing the rest of the pics.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 02:44:12 AM »
John,

Thanks for these photo essays.  The Ganton insight is especially appreciated.  I have always wanted to have a game there.

Looking forward to the rest of your tour...

Giles Payne

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 05:27:24 AM »
John

Ganton is one of my all time favourite courses - I look forward to your final views on it. I would actually put it above almost all the heathland courses around London (and that is not saying that I don't love them - I just think that the course, theclub and the ambience at Ganton add up to a magical whole).

John Mayhugh

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
Giles,
I think the location of Ganton has to add to the charm.  There are so many great courses in the London area, but Ganton stands mostly alone.

David,
The bunkers look so much better in person.  Unless you're standing in one, and your perspective might be altered for a bit.

Brent H,
How come you only played a few holes?  It's not the most convenient location, but it's a reasonable enough (at least for my way of thinking) side trip if you go to the Southport area.

Brent C,
Cheers

John Mayhugh

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 01:09:31 PM »
The fourth hole is credited to Colt.  The hole doglegs slightly to the right.  The tee shot goes over the back of the third green and there is OOB along the right side.  405 yards from the whites, 362 from the yellow tees.  Try to ignore the smudge the clumsy photographer placed on the lens.

At about 230 yards from the yellow tees, the fairway dips into a bit of a valley, then the approach is back uphill.  The small tree on the right distracts an approach from that side.

The green is set into the hillside, and slopes nicely from right to left.  A really difficult up and down from the right bunker.  I wish I could have spent more time on this hole, but played through another group both of my rounds on the hole.

The fifth is the only par 3 on the front and is surrounded by bunkers. 

Ignore the water on the 6th.  The tee shot on this 450 yard part 5 is interesting for the way that bunkers and gorse create angles on a mostly straight hole.

As befits such a short par 5, reaching the green with your second shot is fraught with risk. From about 60 yards out, the landing area on both sides is pinched inside of bunkers like this. A run-up approach does not have much margin for error.

The 7th is a par 4 that is almost as long (434 white/417 yellow) as the par 5 that precedes it.  The hole doglegs right and the tee shot needs to carry about 220 from the yellows to get past them.

The 8th is straightaway par 4.  Like so many of the holes at Ganton, the approach is narrowed by bunkers on both sides.  If there is one criticism of the course, this narrowing in front seemed a bit repetitive, though it’s easy to forgive as the quality of the bunkering is so good.  This one front right of the green is both long and deep.

The 9th is a par 5 with a blind tee shot to a rolling fairway. A carry of about 250 yards will reach a flatter area of the fairway, but the fairway narrows considerably from that point as well.

Bunkering from 50 yards short of the green makes a run-up approach difficult. 

The 9th features a small, narrow, well-contoured green.

The 10th is a 168 yard par 3 that also features a narrow green.  This one is actually reasonably open in front as the first bunker is set back well short of the green. 

The front right bunker.  Gorgeous.

From behind the green.  Note the steps on the front left bunker and how much bunkers on each side narrow the green.  Not sure if I like the rake stands.  What’s the etiquette – rake head up or down?  Seems like you want to keep the part you handle off the ground, but most were placed the opposite way.

I suspect you feel a bit like a condemned man heading down these stairs into the left bunker.

The 11th goes a bit left to right, with gorse on both sides of the fairway.  The hole is 403 from the yellow tees, with this hill about 230 yards off the tee.  You must hit your tee shot really well, or have a long uphill, mostly blind approach. 

This bunker is evil. I hit my tee shot into the right bunker shown in the preceding photo and hit a really nice (I thought) bunker shot, only to end up in this one about 70 yards from the green.

A nice place to stop for a break on a hot day.

With a refreshing drink as well.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 01:43:15 PM »
Brent H,
How come you only played a few holes?  It's not the most convenient location, but it's a reasonable enough (at least for my way of thinking) side trip if you go to the Southport area.

Longish story I'll tell you some time but basically I was only in the area for a couple hours on my way from up near Seaton Carew to MAN airport on a Sunday afternoon. Had to meet some people for dinner but was lucky enough to see part of the course quickly before leaving.

Can't believe it's been four years and I've not yet made my much anticipated return trip for a couple of full rounds.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back