News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neil_Crafter

New Book on the Courses of Royal Melbourne
« on: July 28, 2011, 02:45:48 AM »
Dr John Green, retired medical doctor and historian of the courses at Royal Melbourne has just this month published a lovely detailed book on the history of the RM courses, right from the inception of the Club through to the East and West Courses. It is published by Paul Daley, and John and Paul have done a superb job with the book. It is only published in a limited edition of 500 copies, and around half of these are already gone. I have a copy, and I can highly recommend it to those GCAers with an interest in Royal Melbourne and the works of Dr Mackenzie and Alex Russell. It is beautifully illustrated with period maps and photographs, and with recent photographs of each hole on both courses by the amazing David Scaletti.

Included below is the book info sheet with the ordering details. The book is not cheap but it is well worth it in my view.

Kevin Pallier

Re: New Book on the Courses of Royal Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 04:53:07 AM »
Neil

That is a very expensive price tag ? How does it compare to the CPC book and the Mackenzie's influence ?

Tom MacWood

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 06:31:39 AM »
Neil
It looks beautiful...have you had an opportunity to read it? If so did you learn anything new about the course you had previously not known?

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 07:05:24 PM »
Kevin
yes its expensive but a limited edition of high quality. Compares more than favourably to the CPC book.

Tom
I have had John's research manuscript for a few years and have helped him with a few things, so there is nothing in there that was a surprise to me personally, but still fascinating.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 10:24:09 PM »
Neil,

Thanks for bringing this book to our attention. I do own the RM history book which honestly is somewhat disappointing because it is a club history with really not that much about the courses. For golf architecture junkies this sounds for like what we always hoped someone would do.

Very happy to hear Paul and David are involved. Wow, how I miss Melbourne and the Mornington peninsula!
Tim Weiman

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 01:41:09 AM »
Tim
Yes, the history book is fairly light on regarding the courses at RM. This one is solely about the courses. Well worth it in my opinion.

Mark_F

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 01:52:42 AM »
Neil,

Any chance you can get a copy of Clayton's forthcoming tome, which sounds somewhat similar, and do a no-holds-barred-review so the punters can know which way to send the coin?

Thanks. 

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 02:56:16 AM »
Just got home with my copy and first impressions are it is excellent and certainly worth having

All involved over the last decade should be congratulated

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 04:15:30 AM »
Mark
From what I am led to believe Clayts' book has a somewhat different focus that John's which is a more historical record of the courses and the changes made over the years. I have heard that Mike's book is due out around September. Mike and John are both friends of mine so the no holds barred aspect might have to see one or two holds barred!

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 04:38:42 AM »
The 'other book' is one where there are 36 500-1000 word essays on all 36 holes. There is a forward by Ben Crenshaw, John Green wrote a historical perspective. It is littered with quotes from players and architects about the course and the architectural principles exemplified by the holes at Royal Melbourne
Mike Cocking drew some beautiful maps of the courses and there is some first-class photography.

Get both!!

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 07:09:53 AM »
Can this Scotsman ask, which one is cheaper ?  ;)

Niall

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM »
Neil,

My check is in the mail and will be so for Mike Clayton's book as well. Happy to hear the focus is on the courses. Cub histories are pretty tough to make appealing for non members. Best exception is Jm Finegan's Pine Valley book, IMO.

Mike Clayton,

Can you tell us a bit more on the subject of your book?
Tim Weiman

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 08:47:15 PM »
Tim,

I am hoping not to take the attention away from John's fine book - the subject of Neil's thread.
I think it is right that it is awfully difficult to make a club history interesting to anybody but the members who are written about.
They rarely are about the history of the courses - more the social history and the story of the establishment.
Hopefully both books are models for clubs and people who are interested in the course, the architects and the architecture.

The essays are a mix of things that happened on the holes during big events, the strategies of the holes, how they exemplify MacKenzie and Russell's ideals and the 'architecture'

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 12:26:15 AM »
Thanks, Mike, You're a gentleman and I was a bit thoughtless!

Anyway, I am very happy we'll be seeing more from Melbourne.
Tim Weiman

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 05:17:09 PM »
I've spent what little time I can spare at work over the last few days delving into this book. It is a masterpiece.
Those of you with even a passing interest in RM will kick yourselves if you do not buy this brilliant text.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 06:38:27 PM »
Nicely said MM  :)

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 07:56:40 PM »
I've spent what little time I can spare at work over the last few days delving into this book. It is a masterpiece.
Those of you with even a passing interest in RM will kick yourselves if you do not buy this brilliant text.

MM

Agreed! I received my copy earlier in the week. While haven't yet had time to look at it in depth, it looks terrific at first glance. Certainly a worthy addition, even at that price point.

As for Clayton's book, I can't wait to purchase that one also! I can stare at photos of Royal Melbourne all day long.
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 01:37:03 AM »

As for Clayton's book, I can't wait to purchase that one also! I can stare at photos of Royal Melbourne all day long.
[/quote]

Ben,

The only problem is that Clayton has nothing but love for Royal Melbourne, and I think he is at his best, well certainly his most entertaining when offering a scathing critique.  ;D ;D ;D

TK

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 01:42:54 AM »
Neil,

In 1966 I began collecting books on golf architecture - Sports Illustrated's "The Best 18 Golf Holes in America". While I can't say my collection is world class, it has become pretty nice over the years.

With that background I want to compliment John Green's new book on Royal Melbourne. It is as good if not better than anything I own - really a treasure.

This is no surprise given the involvement of Paul Daley and David Scaletti, but Dr. Green truly has produced something special.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Tim Weiman

Michael Taylor

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 04:21:34 AM »
I received my copy today and it is truly a wonderful book. You should consider buying a copy soon because I'm not sure there are many left.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 09:12:44 AM »
Copies of Dr. John Green's book on The Courses of Royal Melbourne are selling fast.
Those who wish to own a copy and have not yet purchased should do so quickly.
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 09:26:05 AM »
Copies of Dr. John Green's book on The Courses of Royal Melbourne are selling fast.
Those who wish to own a copy and have not yet purchased should do so quickly.

I ordered my copy last week, and Deborah mentioned I was getting the last copy she had in stock. She is getting more copies from Australia, but like Matthew said, they are going quickly and it is a fairly limited edition.

TK

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 09:45:34 PM »
Tyler
They are selling well but there are still reasonable numbers left. However I don't suspect there will be many left after the President's Cup!

Tim, nice sentiments, appreciate your thoughts.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 10:53:16 AM »
I received my copy of the Royal Melbourne book a few days ago and although I haven't had a chance to read it thoroughly yet, it's a detailed account of the golf courses and their evolution over the years.  It's great stuff and I can't wait to have the time to give it a thorough read.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2024, 10:47:34 PM »
Last week I was fortunate to play the courses of Royal Melbourne.  Of course this book was no longer available in the shop.  Does anyone know where one can be purchased?  Thanks

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back