News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Wigler

The Pizza Guy - Part 2
« on: July 08, 2011, 12:08:21 PM »
Back in the very early days of this site, I was a very frequent poster and active contributor.  One of the Iconic threads from that time was "The Pizza Guy."  Years later, I have my own Pizza guy story. 

I was out on the west coast in San Francisco on business and had absolutely no plans to golf, as it was an in and out trip.  My meeting ended early and I asked if there was a course nearby and was told Presidio was.  I went out there in a suit, bought clothes to golf in, bought a glove and balls, rented clubs, borrowed the pro's golf shoes and went out to play. 

I was paired with a frequent couple you see in California, a short, quiet and weird guy with an extremely pretty and vivacious women.  They were riding together and I was social but really playing my own game and soaking in the course.  At the nine, the guy had to leave and the women asked if she could join me (No - this is not going to turn into a penthouse forum letter).  We got to talking and it turns out the guy was not a husband/boyfriend but just someone she had randomly been paired with. 

As we talked about golf and travel, she mentioned her passion for Scotland and Royal Dornock.  Her and her husband were frequent visitors and she was just getting passionate about golf.  Her husband was a golf nut and participated in this site called GCA.  His name is Dave Tepper. 

What a crazy coincidence.  I have lurked and read a number of David's posts and he is another old timer and actually knew my name.  A random pairing turned into a delightful evening of Beer, Scotch and BBQ.  The reach of GCA never should surprise me but it really does.  David and Lauren - Thank you so much for the kind hospitality.  I could not have enjoyed myself more.  It was a wonderful evening.

PS - if there is still a vigilance against non architecture threads.  I will say that Presidio was a true thinking mans course.  The lines of charm went both ways off the tee and required any number of different shapes.  It is not a long course, but there is so much bend that you cannot overpower it with a long straight ball.  Especially interesting was the number of uphill approaches, that really require some creative art to club correctly and hold greens.  #13 I did not love, as I felt that the tree took away from how cool the false front was but I really enjoyed the rest of it. I would play it again for sure.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

John Kavanaugh

Re: The Pizza Guy - Part 2
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 12:20:43 PM »
Why did Gib leave after nine?  I miss him.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 12:37:48 PM »
Why did Gib leave after nine?  I miss him.

Excellent. ;D

Nice story David.

(You could have edited out the bit about the cart to please the GCA thought police.)
Let's make GCA grate again!

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 12:46:20 PM »
Good stuff, thanks for sharing. Don't be a stranger on here.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 12:58:18 PM »
Thanks for the story David...its a small world out there! (I believe we met at Conway Farms last year, right?)

Come back and post more often.
H.P.S.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 01:21:08 PM »
David -

It was a pleasure to meet you. We enjoyed the evening. We will look forward to seeing you again, either here in San Francisco or maybe in Dornoch.

Thanks for the kind words.

DT

Mike Benham

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 01:26:20 PM »
Tepper is now selling pizzas?  Or is it some form of complex derivative of bonds and mortgages?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 01:31:05 PM »
Good pizza man story David. Apparently there are no Fazios in the Bay Area!  :D
Did Luaren think she was playing with David Duval?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Doug Wright

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »
David, don't you know that this was all a GCA.com setup? Lauren was planted there at Presidio by Ran and Ben to get you to post something again... ;)

Great story, and one that resonates with many of us faithful acolytes of GolfClubAtlas.com.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

SL_Solow

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 03:26:01 PM »
If it doesn't sound too kinky, (and I worry after the intro to your post), when you call Shivas include me.  It has been too long.  By the way, I concur on Praesidio although I might cut down a few more trees.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 04:27:24 PM »
#13 I did not love, as I felt that the tree took away from how cool the false front was but I really enjoyed the rest of it.

This photo from the tee was from a few months ago.

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

David Wigler

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 04:46:51 PM »
So nice to hear from a bunch of you guys.  I feel home.  Be careful what you ask for.  It was so nice to see a bunch of you post that I may need to post again and start with a 2,000 word thesis on why Fazio's current library is superior to Ross's.

Kevin - thank you for the photo.  It sums up why I felt 13 was the only really weak hole on the course.  It has this terrific Mackenzieish false front on the green.  It may be the most dramatic front to any green on the course.  I assumed I hit a dart, although there is no way to tell, as the green is blind. 

When I got to the green, my ball was all the way down the front, 30 yards from the hole.  This should be one of the most dramatic tee shots on the course, with the skyline setting and watching the ball in the air, hoping spin was controlled and enough club was used.  Instead, it is a fairly boring shot, where you have no idea what is in front and just get to the green and putt.  The tree has been there forever, but when you look at the historical photo's of the course, it used to be small enough that you could still see the green.

I hate to focus on the negative though and really enjoyed the course -- and no Mike, I do not think there are any Fazio's near downtown  :)
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Doug Wright

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 05:23:02 PM »
That is one Stupid Tree (tm)...  ::)
Twitter: @Deneuchre

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 05:24:17 PM »
That is one Stupid Tree (tm)...  ::)

Is ChipOat back along with Wigs?

David_Tepper

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 05:46:06 PM »
Kevin R. & David W. -

The top of the tree on #13 at the Presidio should be trimmed down so that you can see the green from the tee.

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back