News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Drainage.
It's not beautiful, artistic, or fun, but any golf course needs excellent drainage in order to be successful.  With all the rain we've had, the benefits of excellent drainage are impossible to ignore.

About a month ago, some of us played at Merion West during a heavy downpour.  So much rain that the actual hole on #2 green was underwater.  BUT - within 45 minutes, most all of the casual water was gone.  I was amazed....

How does an architect design for good drainage?  What are your critical success factors?   Can good drainage subtract from architectural vision?

(Obviously tools like SubAir are available, but not really relevant, due to cost, for 99% of golf courses)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:44:20 PM by Dan Herrmann »

JMEvensky

Re: Drainage? Perhaps it's boring, but how important is it?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 01:09:53 PM »

(Obviously tools like SubAir are available, but not really relevant, due to cost, for 99% of golf courses)

Pure speculation,but I'd bet that a lot more memberships would be more willing to pay for Sub Air than some other capital improvements.If they were shown that an expenditure of X for Sub Air would result in increased playability,I think some clubs would rearrange their spending priorities.

Not every club wants fast and firm,but no club wants wet and sloppy.

RDecker

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 01:18:56 PM »
As a Super at a 116 year old club with heavy clay soils I can tell you that drainage is as important as any other factor agronomically.  If you are well drained and can irrigate and manage your sunlight and airflow with tree management then you should be able to produce a quality stand of turf.  However without good drainage all those other factors are compromised and don't show their benefits as noticeably.  The USGA green profile was created in order to provide the best possible drainage situation for the most important surface on the course.  Managing "push up" style greens I assure you is an inexact science and can always be compromised by mother nature.  Where as the USGA green is more consistent throughout a range of weather and climate conditions.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 02:07:33 PM »
On a scale of 1-10, drainage is a 9 or a 10, depending on whether you give out any 10's.  It's tremendously important unless you are working somewhere where it doesn't rain and you don't need much irrigation.  Generally, if the drainage is bad, the grass is more susceptible to disease, so many things you might criticize for other reasons are actually the manifestation of drainage problems.

However, an excellently-drained course is still a basic ... it doesn't make for a great course.

And Sub Air has almost nothing to do with it.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 02:46:31 PM »
My eye opener concerning this aspect of a golf course came during my first trip to Long Island.  On the flight up there and the night before, it rained and rained and rained.  And being used to the Georgia soil, I was bummed as I just knew the course would be a soggy, borderline unplayable mess.

However, that was not the case.  It stopped raining maybe an hour before my tee time.  The soil drained so quickly that the course was darn near in perfect shape.  There was on low spot on a fairway that had a minor amount of water sitting on it, but that was all. 

It was a neat way to learn first hand about the importance of soil type and its drainage principals.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 02:48:53 PM »
Dan
Can you identify a beautiful and artistic natural piece of land that doesn't drain?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

paul cowley

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 03:43:06 PM »
Dan
Can you identify a beautiful and artistic natural piece of land that doesn't drain?

Mike...I live on a vast piece of high and low river swamp near the Okefenokee that I think is immensely beautiful. It does drain though, but not at golf hole speeds!
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

SL_Solow

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 03:57:23 PM »
Mike;  there are lots of sites in the midwest where clay soils require real help for appropriate drainage.  We would rather build on sand but we don't have it.  The skill of the architect in promoting drainage along with the help and/or augmentation by the greenkeeper can make a major difference in the playability of the course.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:47:23 PM by SL_Solow »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 04:24:02 PM »
Mike,
There are a number of beautiful and artistic pieces of land in the Willamette Valley of Oregon that don't drain all that well.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 11:16:19 PM »
I would think all you people living in Metro areas would know which courses are the best draining.

There's something special about playing after rain, but, on a poorly draining course, the time one has to wait is too long.

Those that mention sub-air systems, the greens aren't really the worry, it's the sloggy fairways. Nothing worse than catching a mud shrapnel right in the eye, when you stayed down on a shot and was seriously focused.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 11:48:28 PM »
Sub air is a life support system. Much better to have lived a healthy life - i.e., make water flow down hill, get in sunlight and breezes, etc.  From a 2004 column in Golf Course Industry on the topic.  Its late and I am not even re-reading it before posting, but I hope it piques someone's interest enough to be worth the three minutes I spent finding it on my computer:

A Superintendents Drainage Primer
By Jeffrey D. Brauer
Past President, American Society of Golf Course Architects

You have probably installed additional drainage at your course, and may have certainly heard the old engineering saying – ”toot the horn at all crossings”……No, wait, wrong kind of engineering.  The one that says there are three rules to civil engineering – “If you can’t say something nice….no wait, wrong meaning of civil……. “Drainage, Drainage, and Drainage!”

I was recently asked for a “simplified” golf course drainage design criteria, so I‘ll share some formulas I use.  First, I recommend that you take care of surface drainage problems with surface drainage, and subsurface problems with subsurface drainage.  Spring correction requires 4” (or larger) perforated, gravel imbedded tile drains at the seepage location.  However, many superintendents use tile drains to correct surface problems, when grading surface pitch of 2% and preferably 3% to inlets is necessary.  Grading around an existing irrigation system is difficult, but I’ve done it and it requires planning!

Your drainage systems won’t need the large pipes used in subdivision work.  That’s because engineers size drains for the protection of property, health, safety, and welfare, and typically add a safety factor of a bazillion for good measure.  Golf courses usually don’t face critical safety issues, but where these issues arise, an engineer should develop the drainage plans. 

On golf courses, immediate drainage of large storms isn’t necessary or cost effective.  While I don’t recommend designing for a large storm, I do recommend sizing pipe consistently, so your entire course is ready for play concurrently.  You will want to protect every day turf conditions from the effects of nuisance drainage and every day storms by disposing of incidental drainage immediately.  Occasional play delays are acceptable in larger storms while pipe capacity removes stormwater.  Temporary ponding assists in filtering inputs, so smaller pipes and inlets are environmentally sound and cost effective.

However, submerged turf suffers from oxygen depletion after only a few hours, and faces death in as little as two days if submerged during summer temperatures.  Your drainage should handle “typical” storms in about 90 minutes and drain larger storms in a few days.  Draining a 2 year storm in 90 minutes (which also drains a 100 year, 24 hour storm over two days) is adequate for most golf course installations.

After laying out a piping scheme, I use the Rational Method to size drainage pipes.  The formula Q=CIA where,
    Q = Run-off (in cubic feet per second)
                 C = Co-efficient (% of run-off expressed as a decimal)
      I = Intensity Rate of Rainfall (in inches per hour)
     A = Acres of watershed draining to a particular inlet

The mathematically astute reader will recognize that this formula really estimates acre-inches per hour.  However, by coincidence, that is exactly the same value as Cubic Feet per Second, which is the unit used to size pipe. 
To use the Rational Method, you must estimate the percentage of runoff from a rainfall based on site factors. Some typical co-efficient values are Urban/Industrial – 70%-90%, Residential – 50%- 70%, Golf Course – 30% - 50%, and Rural – 10% - 30%.  If parts of the watershed area is (or will be) urbanized, you should blend co-efficient values, based on the portion of the drainage area that is in each land use.  You should use the higher percentages if you have clay soils, steep slopes, and light turf cover, average values for loam soils, moderate slopes and vegetative cover, and minimum values, if you have sandy soils, flat slopes and heavy tree cover.

Remember, these values are estimates.  Some rains will fall on dry soil which will absorb it readily, but other storms will occur when your soil is at field capacity through irrigation or earlier rains.  I recommend using higher values, where possible. 

“I” is the storm intensity you want to drain, which is usually a two year storm in 90 minutes.  In Houston, that’s 2.0”/hour.  In Kansas City, its 1.5”/hour, and up north in St. Paul, It’s about 1.0”/hour.  These areas are in the “I-35” Corridor, which tends to have intense storms.  Thus, you could use these values if you are at similar latitude and have a safety factor.  Assuming 50% runoff, the typical Houston drainage acre produces 1.0 CFS, Kansas City acres produce 0.75 CFS, and St. Paul acres produce 0.5 CFS of runoff.  While engineers consider other factors, we use these simplified figures for golf courses.

To size catch basins, measure the acreage draining into each inlet, and consult the chart below, which is based on typical light duty golf courses basins, with a safety factor.  (Grass clippings reduce capacity!)  So, while smaller inlets may have “better aesthetics,” oversize your basins! 

Design Intensity in CFS per acre   CFS Actual   Acres Drained by
CFS
ACRE   0.375
CFS
ACRE   0.5
CFS
ACRE   0.75
CFS
ACRE   1.0

CFS ACRE

8 in.  round grate   0.3   1.2   0.8   0.6   0.4   0.3
10 inch round grate   0.6   2.4   1.6   1.2   0.8   0.6
12 inch round grate   1.2   4.8   3.2   2.4   1.6   1.2
15 inch round grate   1.7   6.8   4.5   3.4   2.25   1.7
18 inch round grate   1.8   7.2   4.8   3.6   2.4   1.8
24 inch round grate   2.8   11.2   7.4   5.6   3.7   2.8

You size pipes similarly, starting at the top of your line, where the pipe needs the same capacity as the first basin.  At subsequent basins, the outlet section of pipe must accommodate both that inlet and the water already flowing through the pipe. 
Pipe Size   Min. Slope   CFS   Mid Slope   CFS   Max   CFS Slope
4 inch pipe   1.25%   0.2   4.5%   0.4   10%   0.8
6 inch pipe   0.7%   0.6   3.0%   1.33   6%   1.8
8 inch pipe   0.5%   1.0   2.0%   2   4%   3.2
10 inch pipe   0.33%   1.75   1.5%   3.3   3%   5.0
12 inch pipe   0.25%   2.5   1.0%   5   2.5%   7.0
15 inch pipe   0.20%   3.7   0.8%   6   1.75%   11.0
18 inch pipe   0.15%   5.25   0.6%   10   1.5%   16.0
24 inch pipe   0.12%   9.5   0.4%   20   1.0%   30.0

Pipe size is a function of both flow and grade.  For example, if the top basin contributes 1.0 CFS, you’ll need a 10” basin and either a 6” pipe at about 3.0%, or an 8” pipe at 0.5%.  Smaller pipe costs less, but many situations require larger pipe at flatter grade.  If the next basin adds 4.0 CFS, that pipe must carry 5 CFS total, requiring 10” pipe with 3% grade, if available, or a 12” pipe at 1.0%. 

The minimum slopes shown are those required for “self cleansing velocity.”  If you ignore this, your drainage system will require constant cleaning. (Sanitary Sewer engineers use a minimum “self-cleansing” velocity of 2 feet per second, while drain pipe manufacturers recommend 3 feet per second.  I have trouble envisioning storm water flowing less freely than sewage,  but I use 3 FPS.)  The maximum slope is that which limits scoured pipes and exit area erosion problems from high flow velocity.  The mid range allows you to do some mental gymnastics to arrive at correct pipe size for “in between” situations.

I hope this helps you design better surface drainage for your golf course!

Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Patrick_Sisk,_CGCS

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 07:27:53 AM »
I vividly recall my first class with Dr. Troll at Stockbridge (UMass).  As we settled in he announced to the assembly of aspiring superintendents that he was going to tell us all we needed to know about growing high quality turf this very day.  This very day!  Excitedly I opened my note book and with pen in hand prepared to take down his words verbatim.

Peering over his glasses, Dr. Troll stated that it all comes down to three things; "Drainage, drainage and more drainage."  Huh, that's it?  There has to be more?  This guy has just totally short changed my tuition payment!

24 years later and personal experience with numerous soil types I can safely say that Dr. Troll was 100% correct.  Without proper drainage, surface or sub-surface, the most thoughtful and thorough maintenance plans will eventually fail.  I also consider soil management (aerating and topdressing) a form of drainage management as well.  The ability of a soil to move water through the profile is the basis for a quality playing surface. 

We can always add water.  The thoughtful maintenance and construction plans include the evacuation of excess water.

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 12:37:52 PM »
   I fall in line with what Pat is saying.  I heard a very similar thing stated by Doug Petersan, then Supt. at Five Farm in Baltimore.  Doug opened a talk he was doing during a conference with that same advice.  Drainage, Drainage and Drainage but he broke it into two catagories of  water and air.   He said if you can get this correct you have a much greater chance at success.   It sounds simple but it is so true.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 01:07:33 PM »
Thanks - I was trying to illustrate the point that laymen today don't know squat about how to design a golf course.  Sure, we might be able to draw a picture, but the really important stuff is often overlooked by amateurs.  Drainage may be the most important factor that's not appreciated by folks that aren't architects or supers.

I find it fascinating to hear our head greenkeeper talking about percolation rates and how they've increased under his watch.  Obviously, that's just one factor, but it's really interesting to me.

Steve Okula

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 04:46:06 PM »
There are two essential factors to  succeed as a golf c ourse superintendent; common sense and drainage. And what you lack in one of those must be compensated by the other.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 06:26:50 PM »
The USGA green profile was created in order to provide the best possible drainage situation for the most important surface on the course.

I believe this is a bit misleading. The USGA Green was primarily developed to combat compaction.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 07:10:25 PM »
building a golf course is making drainage look good .... Pete Dye.

end of the debate

archie_struthers

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 08:58:09 PM »
 ???  ???  8) ??? ?

You gotta  believe Doak and Brauer on this one, it is so important that nothing overrides the issue in design work!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 09:05:59 PM »
Archie - and I'll bet that it's the last thing a layman would think of.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 10:30:12 PM »
The USGA green profile was created in order to provide the best possible drainage situation for the most important surface on the course.

I believe this is a bit misleading. The USGA Green was primarily developed to combat compaction.
Kyle,
How well do compacted soils drain?

I've only built one golf course from start to finish, but I've been involved in what seems like 1000 golf course projects. You can get some of the other factors wrong and make up for them, but get the drainage wrong and there's no covering it up.

I'd like to see the discussion go a little more in depth. There does seem to be a divide between the more techno guys who believe the best solution is to always get the water into a pipe as fast as possible, and the naturalistic guys who use pipe as a last resort and base their design on surface drainage. I'm solidly in the camp of the latter as no matter how hard you try, all those grates and risers and basins and pipes seem to need repair or some sort of attention over time. On the other hand, if your going to rely on surface drainage, you'd better be damn good at knowing how far to push and when to bite the bullet and put in some pipe. To me its a fascinating discussion because a strong case can be made for both approaches. One thing for sure in my mind, if you have a half way decent site that has some natural drainage, I believe its best not to screw with it and that's where I believe some of the modern techno driven guys get a little too aggressive with their "expertise". This is really the area where the great routers shine, IMO.     

Steve Lang

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 09:26:57 PM »
 8) drainage stuff can be fun.. but it takes more than an opinion..

Character of surface Runoff Coefficient C

Pavement

Asphaltic and concrete  0.70-0.95

Brick  0.70-0.85

Roofs  0.75-0.95

Lawns, sandy soil

Flat, 2 percent 0.05-0.10

Average, 2-7 percent  0.10-0.15

Steep, 7 percent  0.15-0.20

Lawns, heavy soil

Flat, 2 percent 0.13-0.17

Average, 2-7 percent 0.18-0.22

Steep, 7 percent 0.25-0.35

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 09:33:35 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 06:23:54 AM »
One of the most amazing drainage systems anywhere is at Detroit Golf Club. The superintendent there, Clem Wolfrom jets every line, with a high pressure hose, every year to keep it open. It's an amazing system and most of it was designed and installed by Donald Ross, and still working after all these years.

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 08:32:02 AM »
Well, as the guy who pays to play, drainage is incredibly important.  I picked my club essentially based on drainage.  I don't belong to a local club essentially because of drainage.  This issue takes on a greater importance the longer the golf season is.  In a climate where golf can be played round the calender the seasons are divided by real golf and winter golf.  To me, any course which is open during the winter and does not drain well has to, at least to some degree, be considered a failure from a design perspective.  Sure enough, many courses are then designed with a built in failure mechanism.  I know many golfers don't worry so much about this, but many, for lack of a better word, purists, insist on proper drainage and insist that it is the cornerstone of proper golf.  While I rather see grade drainage be the solution, even if a piece of property requires pipes and drains, get it done.  Its better to pick a ball off a drain than to pick, clean and place. 

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 09:14:09 PM »
Since most of the classic courses we manage were built on soils that weren't suitable for farming (swamps, river valleys, muck, etc), drainage is everything. There's only one course I've worked on that was built on high quality soils (Cypress Point). When given high quality soils, we have so much more control over the quality of the playing surface (drainage, firmness, density, etc). To maintain a high quality turf stand in poorly drained soils, we use aerification and consistent sand topdressing. The sand topdressing modifies the rootzone, which increases percolation rates, macropore space, and the overall firmness of the playing surface. This leads to better drainage, more oxygen in the soil, and a healthier turfgrass plant. Without being able to control mother nature, proper drainage will always be critical to maintaining quality performance turf. It's a never ending battle!

I have some great pictures of drainage projects I did in California and Michigan. I also have to agree with Brad about Clem's drainage system... Classic!

John_Conley

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 09:33:10 PM »
Didn't Jack Nicklaus once say, "give me a site that drains well and I'll build you a good golf course."?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back