News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

July 1-3 Outing at Dismal River
« on: March 25, 2011, 01:47:17 PM »
Gentlemen,

Who wants to go to Nebraska this summer and play some golf?  With a lot of help from my friends, I've arranged a 3 day outing at Dismal River Golf Club and you're invited.

Sequestered at the dead end of a 17-mile one lane road out in Mullen, Dismal River would likely be at or near the top of the short list of Secret Service approved undisclosed locations for former Vice President Dick Cheney.  It does take some effort to get here!  

Being out in the middle of nowhere definitely has its advantages.  I don't know that you'll ever see a bigger, more awe inspiring sky than what you'll find out in the sand hills. The daytime sky along with it's infinite cloud cover is awesome, no question, but the star gazer in me can't get enough of the limitless night sky above, especially while enjoying time spent around the firepit out back.

Right now, we have 17 commitments for July and have 32 beds booked so there's room for 15 more.

It's a two man event, so feel free to bring a friend or pair up with another GCAer, the more the merrier. If you'd like more information, re: costs, itinerary, etc., go to www.5thmajor.com where you'll find all you need to know.

I hope you'll make it out. I think it's a pretty special place and look forward to sharing the opportunity to experience it with more GCAers.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 01:48:48 PM by Eric Smith »

Peter_Herreid

Re: July 1-3 Outing at Dismal River
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 06:40:29 PM »
Eric--

While I will be unable to attend, I wanted to thank you for this most generous offer to the GCA crowd, and hope that folks are able to venture out and experience DR.  What a great way to celebrate a long weekend.

Thanks again for your generosity!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 06:51:40 PM »
Eric,
I can't tell you how excited I am to attend.  I'm actually driving out from Philly and making a cool adventure out of it.  It'll be a great time for all!

Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 07:40:48 PM »
Thanks, Peter. It's the least I can do as I've been on the receiving end of plenty of others generosity through this website. I hope you'll make it another time!

Dan,

I can't wait myself! Really glad you guys are coming.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 07:48:56 PM »
Look at that photo Eric posted.  That is the natural landscape of the area.  Do you see any golf holes right there in that photo?  One or two, maybe?  Amazing!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 07:53:09 PM »
Thanks again for the invite, Eric. This sounds awesome, and I'm definitely interested in playing.  If anyone is looking for a better-ball partner, let me know.

Any plans by GCAers to venture to other area courses (Wild Horse, etc.) while out there?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 08:09:18 PM »
Thanks again for the invite, Eric. This sounds awesome, and I'm definitely interested in playing.  If anyone is looking for a better-ball partner, let me know.

Any plans by GCAers to venture to other area courses (Wild Horse, etc.) while out there?

Can you carry me JNC?!  How long is Dismal?  ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

JNC Lyon

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 08:12:10 PM »
Joe,

My game can only get better from rock bottom, so if you can keep your number at 10 we'll team up!

If you don't want to play, Spaulding can play out your holes.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 08:14:40 PM by JNC Lyon »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 08:18:38 PM »
Joe,

My game can only get better from rock bottom, so if you can keep your number at 10 we'll team up!

If you don't want to play, Spaulding can play out your holes.

What about my asthma?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 08:20:07 PM »
Dude...we will get you the high speed golf carts that Dismal have, if you are having an asthma attack, and you'll be all good.

Anyone have a photo of those bad boys?

JNC Lyon

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 08:21:09 PM »
You can always play tennis.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 08:25:13 PM »

JNC,

I'm not 100% on my schedule, but I am certainly looking to travel before/after the 5th Major.  Heading to Ballyneal for a few days for sure, then would like to visit Wild Horse, Prairie Club, maybe a few in Denver area, SHGC (maybe, hopefully), Awarii Dunes (if possible)...who knows.  You have any thoughts? 

Mark

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 08:27:13 PM »

JNC Lyon

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 08:31:53 PM »

JNC,

I'm not 100% on my schedule, but I am certainly looking to travel before/after the 5th Major.  Heading to Ballyneal for a few days for sure, then would like to visit Wild Horse, Prairie Club, maybe a few in Denver area, SHGC (maybe, hopefully), Awarii Dunes (if possible)...who knows.  You have any thoughts? 

Mark

Wild Horse and Bayside at the very least.  Prairie Club and Sand Hills (best case scenario) would also be cool.  I'm guessing other GCAers out there will want to venture to these places during the trip as well.

Tim Martin

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 08:37:04 PM »
You can always play tennis.

Has anyone ever looked better in a bucket hat? ;)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 08:46:41 PM »

Eric,

I recieved my appearance fee yesterday.Count me in.

Anthony

Eric Smith

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 09:31:32 PM »
John and Joe, pair up and get your tails to Nebraska. We'll celebrate your graduation, John and we'd be honored to have one of those incredible in depth photo tours done by the Joe Bausch Mobile Production Studio. :)

I hope you guys can make it out!

Eric Smith

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 09:33:16 PM »

Eric,

I recieved my appearance fee yesterday.Count me in.

Anthony

Anton~

I need my caddy!

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 09:54:33 PM by Eric Smith »

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 10:06:46 PM »
Wish I could. I, however, will be out of town.

Bummer.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 10:23:52 PM »
JNC - That's why we're driving out - TONS of great prairie golf!

Cool other activities too - the Fort Niobrara NWR looks pretty awesome up near Valentine.    Elk, bison, prairie dogs...   Scottsbluff has the Oregon Trail and Scotts Bluff.  

There's Bayside GC, Awarii dunes, and Wildhorse.    Prairie Dunes too...

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 10:30:11 PM by Dan Herrmann »

JNC Lyon

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 11:16:57 PM »
Wow, these pictures look pretty solid in the (still) frigid cold of March in New York.  I think you folks need to realize: I've never been West of the Mississippi, so this is going to be an unbelievable experience, no matter what I end up playing or seeing.  Dan, thanks for all the recommendations on golf and non-golf activities.  How close is Prairie Dunes to Mullen?

Eric, I am DEFINITELY IN for the 5th Major.  Bausch might be harder to convince, he only plays executive courses.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 08:34:52 AM »
JNC - It's about 100 miles or so.  Obviously, traffic won't be a problem!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 08:36:26 AM »
Please ensure y'all are on the same page...Prairie Dunes or The Prairie Club.  The "Club" is pretty close (relatively speaking).  I know people who've made the "Dunes" trek and it is a bit of a drive.

Tim Martin

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 08:39:48 AM »
JNC - That's why we're driving out - TONS of great prairie golf!

Cool other activities too - the Fort Niobrara NWR looks pretty awesome up near Valentine.    Elk, bison, prairie dogs...   Scottsbluff has the Oregon Trail and Scotts Bluff.  

There's Bayside GC, Awarii dunes, and Wildhorse.    Prairie Dunes too...

Dan-Now that`s what I call a road trip. I`m not sure about the the elk and bison but I think it`s off season for hunting prairie dogs. ;)

Jim Tang

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 08:44:35 AM »
Eric -

What a generous offer!  Dismal River is a place I've been meaning to see, but, unfortunatley, the dates won't work for me.  Hope the event is great.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back