News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Andrew

Re: IMO Discussion Series...Art in Golf Architecture
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2011, 09:29:49 AM »
Sean,

I once coined the phrase "comfort architecture" to describe a Fazio course I played in NC. Every last aspect was there to make me feel confident about my game. I played "very" well and "hated" the experience. I hate have everything pelled out for me

Two days before I played Tobacco Road which is designed to intimidate and confuse. The thrill of overcoming what initially felt like very long odds is an awesome feeling. You have to figure out what you're faced with all day and then summon up the stregth to make some of the shots. It's awesome!

Two courses that play on the opposite emotions of player.

I'm with you I prefer to have my buttons pushed....

Mac and Chris,

The essay remains unfinished...

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:44:34 AM by Ian Andrew »

JC Urbina

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2011, 08:22:53 PM »
Sean,

I like Ian's statement about comfort.  It is true that people can experience a round of golf and be happy in more ways then one.

I also believe that some golfers will travel to the ends of the earth to play the same number of holes ( 18) for the same reason and that is a different but thrilling experience.

Mackenzie  talks about the contrast in colors and natural appearance.  "  It not only a delightful hole to see, which at any rate appeals subconsciously  to the dullest of minds, but is equally delightful to play.  It is less difficult then it appears"

As Darwin describes,
One that translates into " A spirit of adventure"  - yet a well played shot always gets its due"

The 16th hole at Cypress Point.  The beauty and adventure all rolled into one.

All part of the Art in Architecture.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2011, 08:45:24 PM »
JC - that Darwin quote reminded me again of what Behr is talking about here, and about the work you do. The naturalism of a golf hole (especially when it is the product of substantial and skilled human efforts) is precisely what allows the hole to provide that "spirit of adventure" while still manifesting the fundamental design principles whereby a good shot "gets its due".

If I'm rock climbing up what I think is a real mountain, it would sure seem more adventurous to me than if I was stepping up a set of wooden pegs some engineer had banged into a wall and covered with paper mache.

Peter  

PS - I just noticed something that chilled me. I just noticed that I have 3663 posts on this board while you have 196!!  Excuse me - I think I'll retire to Bedlam.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 08:49:52 PM by PPallotta »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2011, 09:21:24 PM »
Mac and Chris,

The essay remains unfinished...

Ian, you've had about  48 hours.  Is it done now?

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back