News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Hughes

Sugarloaf Mt, Orlando.
« on: December 23, 2010, 04:25:22 PM »
Does anyone know how the course is these days? We played there back in April and the conditioning was awful, really bad.  The friends I dragged there were gracious and didn't make me walk to World Woods from there, but it was close. I am considering returning this Spring if the course has returned to good shape.....maybe not a good move?

Can anyone comment?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Pete Lavallee

Re: Sugarloaf Mt, Orlando.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 04:36:32 PM »
To heck with Sugarloaf My; what was Pat Mucci incorrect about in 2007? ;D
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Andy Hughes

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 08:27:13 PM »
 ;D
Pete, I don't even remember!

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 10:16:37 PM »
Andy - Played there this morning (I am a member).  They have overseeded the fairways and greens which is helping.  Greens are in very good condition; fairways are decent but there are some rough spots, mostly in low lying areas due to cart traffic.  I would contact Jason (head pro) a few weeks prior to your April trip to get the latest on conditions.  The maintainence budget is very lean but barring another extremed winter it should be better than last year. 

Contact me via PM prior to your arrival and I would be happy to take some up to date pics.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 06:36:11 PM »
While it is hard to say that ANY Coore and Crenshaw course has been ignored here, I have to say I grow to like this course more and more with each play. As you can see below, Sugarloaf has overseeded this season as Pete mentioned above. Earlier in this trip TPC Sawgrass and Chechessee Creek were playing with dormant grass. Dormant grass plays great, but I am human and it is nice to see a little green grass as it snows on Mike Whitaker in Manhattan!  ;) Pete and I caught the beginning of this cold spell on Sunday but it was very playable:

What is not to love:

• Rolling terrain in Florida
  • You can walk in Florida
  • I type this from Epcot Resorts, but Sugarloaf is no CCFAD! (at least not for now)
  • Very good routing in the land of let's make room for a few condos
  • Very reasonable rates
  • 30 minutes from Disney
  • Beer and a hot dog after the round
  • Pete as a tour guide

Now the course is not without some flaws, and our friends from C&C made a few mistakes with the bunkers on the lower holes, specifically the cape hole, where the summer rains have washed out the bunkers. Even if the course had a big budget, I doubt these could have worked on the cape hole

Below is a Golfweek Best New list from 2008, an difficult season to open a golf course for sure.

1. Mountaintop   Cashiers   NC   2007   Tom Fazio
2. Cornerstone   Montrose   CO   2007   Greg Norman
3. Chambers Bay GC   University Place   WA   2007   Robert Trent Jones Jr. , Bruce Charlton
4. GC of Cape Cod   Falmouth   MA   2007   Rees Jones
5. Cougar Canyon Golf Links   Trinidad   CO   2007   Jack Nicklaus, Chris Cochran
6. Preserve GC, The   Vancleave   MS   2007   Jerry Pate
7. Tetherow   Bend   OR   2008   David Kidd
8. Colorado GC   Parker   CO   2007   Bill Coore, Ben Crenshaw
9. Irish Creek, GC at   Kannapolis   NC   2007   Davis Love III
10. Sugarloaf Mountain Golf and Town Club   Minneola   FL   2008   Bill Coore, Ben Crenshaw
11. Martis Camp   Truckee   CA   2007   Tom Fazio
12. Gozzer Ranch GC   Arrowpoint   ID   2007   Tom Fazio
13. Highland Course at Primland   Meadows of Dan   VA   2007   Donald Steel
14. Blue Ridge Shadows GC   Front Royal   VA   2007   Tom Clark
15. Palouse Ridge GC   Pullman   WA   2008   John Harbottle
16. Promontory - Jack Nicklaus Course   Park City   UT   2007   Jack Nicklaus
17. Golf Club at Gray's Crossing   Truckee   CA   2007   Jim Hardy, Peter Jacobsen
18. Adam's Mountain CC   Eagle   CO   2007   Tom Weiskopf
19. Creek Club   Oconee   GA   2007   Jim Engh
20. TPC San Francisco Bay at Stonebrae   East Bay Hills   CA   2008   David Kidd

It will be interesting to see where Sugarloaf and some of the others on this list shake out. I hope Sugarloaf survives as it is a very interesting addition to the Orlando landscape along with Deltona.

JC Jones

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 10:51:44 PM »
Mike,

Do those shoes have the Reebok Pump on the tongue?  Are you wearing them on Saturday in hopes you get put into the game?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 11:01:29 PM »
They look like Merrell shoes, from my v.p.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 06:57:19 AM »
Mike,

Do those shoes have the Reebok Pump on the tongue?  Are you wearing them on Saturday in hopes you get put into the game?

I bought them at one of YOUR favorite clubs!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 07:02:39 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 01:30:49 AM »
Mike,

Do those shoes have the Reebok Pump on the tongue?  Are you wearing them on Saturday in hopes you get put into the game?

Nice logo for your avatar. Still one of the cheesiest I've seen.

Is there a plaque yet in the middle of 18 fairway where I completely fell apart against JC?
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 08:35:44 AM »
Mike,

Nice logo for your avatar. Still one of the cheesiest I've seen.

Is there a plaque yet in the middle of 18 fairway where I completely fell apart against JC?

One of the truly great meltdowns in golf history.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 03:17:17 PM »
Pete, thanks for the response and the offer. Unfortunately the tee times need to be made well in advance.  I would very much like to try the course again--and it sounds like you believe its in a better way than it was last April. And now if there are any issues I can tell my friends to blame Pete B.!  ;)

Andy - Played there this morning (I am a member).  They have overseeded the fairways and greens which is helping.  Greens are in very good condition; fairways are decent but there are some rough spots, mostly in low lying areas due to cart traffic.  I would contact Jason (head pro) a few weeks prior to your April trip to get the latest on conditions.  The maintainence budget is very lean but barring another extremed winter it should be better than last year. 

Contact me via PM prior to your arrival and I would be happy to take some up to date pics.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 04:51:53 PM »
So Pete or others--how's Sugarloaf these days?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back