News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

North East Colt gathering - June 2011?
« on: February 02, 2011, 12:34:30 PM »
Some may recall previous discussion of the possibility of a mini-tour of the North East (England, that is!) taking in a couple of the regions Colt designs (most likely Northumberland GC and Brancepeth Castle but Tyneside and Foxton would be other possibilities) and with (hopefully) the opportunity to play Scott MacPherson's "Colt" course at Close House, which I understand is due to open for play in June. 

The purpose of this thread is to get an indication of the level of interest and (assuming there is some) work out dates.  My suggestion would be for a date in June, late enough for North Eastern greens to have come into shape but before summer holidays.  Also, with BUDA this year in September, it shouldn't clash with much.  I would expect that we would be able to get access to the local private courses on a weekend without too much trouble, though I will need to consult fixture lists (and, in the case of the Northumberland, race meeting diaries).  As to accomodation, Newcastle at weekends has plenty of cheap venues but many get very busy with stag parties.  One possibility would be to stay at Close House itself.  Again, when we have some idea of numbers and dates, I'll investigate.  For starters the US Open is over the weekend of 16-19 June, however, that weekend might be a problem at Northumberland.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jonathan Davison

Re: North East Colt gathering - June 2011?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 12:49:17 PM »
Mark
I would love to join up. It will depend on how many projects start construction or if any start? My family live in South Shields so I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
It would be nice to see Close House, and also Northumberland, its one of the few I havent played in the NorthEast.

James Boon

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 01:00:19 PM »
Mark,

I'm certainly interested and look forward to further details and possible dates etc!

For others not aware of Close House here is a link to some photos of the back nine during the growing in period towards the end of construction:
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46291.0.html
I also have some photos from Brancepeth castle but getting round to a final photo tour thread is taking longer than planned...

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 02:16:42 PM »
I'd be up for it, Mark. I'm very flexible with dates etc, not having a 'proper job'.

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 02:19:38 PM »
Mark,

I'd be interested in finding out more although not sure I can committ at this stage. Even if I can only make it down for one day it would still be great to meet up.

Niall

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 03:05:51 PM »
I'll play if schedules permit, though that time of year is tricky from a work POV.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 09:02:31 AM »
Mark

I'd be interested assuming the dates fit.

I'd certainly like to see Close House having had my appetite whetted by a couple of threads on here.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 02:54:50 PM »
HI All,

Mark is doing a great job organising this little gathering, and Close House are very keen to support any GCA members who want to join this trip.

I can say that it is my intention to be at Close House (at least) when the group arrives so I can talk you through the design and construction of the course and answer any questions. We are very excited about this new course, and I hope as many people as possible can join us.

Look forward to seeing you there,

scott

BCrosby

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 03:05:22 PM »
Mark - Many hurdles to clear, but put me down as interested. 

Bob

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 03:44:20 PM »
Its a big time long shot for me, but if the gods decree it, I will be there for weekend golf.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Stan Dodd

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 01:47:57 AM »
Mark,
Easy access by rail from the north?

Scott Warren

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 01:56:51 AM »
Stan,

The train is great - Inverness to Edinburgh in about 3hrs then change for the run into NE England. I caught the train home from Inverness to London last May and it was fantastic.

Tickets get released three months ahead of time. If you snap them up as soon as they come out, you can get some good prices. If you leave it to the last minute you get reamed.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 03:48:26 AM »
Stan,

Like Scott says, the train is very good for this.  Newcastle station is a main stop on the Aberdeen/Edinburgh to London line (there may even be direct trains from Inverness) and the Edinburgh to Newcastle stretch has some beautiful coastal views (including running past Goswick, just south of Berwick).  If you came down by train I'd happily chauffeur you around, the station is less than 10 minutes from my house and less than 20 from Northumberland.

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Stan Dodd

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 01:27:52 PM »
Thanks Mark,
Interested, would love to see dates.  Hope to work around the Dornoch Fixture list.

Niall C

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 01:59:26 PM »
Stan,

If I'm going down I could give you a lift. Not quite as comfy as the train but very happy to oblige.

Mark - any thoughts on dates, itinerary and costs ? (well, you did volunteer to organise !)

Scott - I look forward to seeing your handywork, the photos on the Colt thread look fantastic.

Niall

Mark Pearce

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 02:15:19 PM »
Niall,

Once I've agreed a date with Close House I'll sort out other venues and put a date up.  For me, 17-19 June would work well, otherwise likely to be early July.  Watch this space.

Mark

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 03:01:29 PM »
If I can be there, I will!
cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Andy Levett

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 04:21:57 PM »
Not far from me so I'm sure I could make at least one day, and host or at least make the arrangements for anyone fancying a game at Seaton Carew (links in the area by Colt's one-time junior partner after he fled the nest).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back