News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philippe Binette

Global warming ????
« on: February 03, 2011, 01:36:39 PM »
I'll go for climate change, not global warming...

too cold to start the round in Scottsdale Arizona... current temp : 38F... hig for today 52 F

JNC Lyon

Re: Global warming ????
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 01:45:51 PM »
Philippe,

I agree that the terms "climate change" and "global warming" are often contradictory.  However, I don't think I would prove or refute either phenomenon based on the weather of one day.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 01:53:05 PM »

One medium size volcano erupting would match what Man has done in a 100 years of pollution. Two would probably match what Man has done since the Industrial Revolution. Three covers the full damage Man has done since he first farted.

So what we have is The Earth and Mother Nature – not Man doing their thing. We do not need to conserve or ration but discover more Natural ways forward instead of playing the blame game.

What will be will be – can’t you invent a cart that copes with the cold and snow, after all that’s why many of you say you use a cart in hot zones.

Just think “Its Good News Week”  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4KzGKnuUuc

Melvyn

PS Still cheating IMHO if using distance aids

JC Jones

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
I didn't buy in to global climate change until Lou Duran convinced me.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 02:22:20 PM »
climate change is self evident, the questions seems to be whether man has made any difference to it. I'm still open to be convinced but at the moment I side with Melvyn's view.

Niall

Anthony Butler

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 02:23:14 PM »

One medium size volcano erupting would match what Man has done in a 100 years of pollution. Two would probably match what Man has done since the Industrial Revolution. Three covers the full damage Man has done since he first farted.

So what we have is The Earth and Mother Nature – not Man doing their thing. We do not need to conserve or ration but discover more Natural ways forward instead of playing the blame game.

What will be will be – can’t you invent a cart that copes with the cold and snow, after all that’s why many of you say you use a cart in hot zones.

Just think “Its Good News Week”  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4KzGKnuUuc

Melvyn

PS Still cheating IMHO if using distance aids

OTM Spins in his grave while beseeching God... "Oh Lord, why did you have to take young Tommy so soon and leave this one on the earth... "

Melvyn, most of your opinions come from the lunatic fringe, but your completely ill-informed opinions on this subject matter tend to reduce the credibility of even your saner ramblings.

Global warming reflects the fact temperatures measured throughout the globe show the planet is heating up on average .5 celsius degrees per decade. This could change due to certain events the previous decades of warming may cause i.e. Thawing of the permafrost, Greenland breaks apart and disturbs the gulf-stream current which sends northern Europe back to the ice age... It's mostly referred to as climate change because that is the effect of global warming. It also stops half the idiots in the world from saying... "There's no such thing as global warming. I got XX inches of snow in my backyard last night."

Climate change reflects the reality of what people notice. Accepted weather patterns are broken up. Many weather related incidents become more intense or prolonged. People notice their flowers are dying, not that it's .05 degrees warmer than last year.
Next!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 02:58:55 PM »

Mr Anthony Butler

Rather nasty thing to say “OTM Spins in his grave while beseeching God... "Oh Lord, why did you have to take young Tommy so soon and leave this one on the earth... " What the hell do you know about Old Tom anyway.

AS for this bollocks about Global warming. No one knows not even you. I am reminded of the talk in the 1960’s of the new pending mini Ice Age about the spread over the Earth, that turned out to be an even hotter 1970’s than expected. Then the 1980’s all seem to settle but by the end up came the hot weather and water reserves very low, running into the 1990’s. Then we move into the 21st Century we are getting mixed messages. But do all our scientist’s   agree, of course NOT its still open for debate not to mention the farce of was it Essex Uni who caused some problem last year knowingly pass on false info to back up global warming. The point is no one knows, not even the gifted Anthony Butler, defender of free speech and global warming.

Seems you missed the cull, but with people like you this site is even more limited and restricted because you seem to know it all but alas all you are good for is to vomit crap.

There is a difference in not agreeing with someone and being blood rude about them and introducing dead family members.

What a nice man you are not

Melvyn

Gary Slatter

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 03:09:50 PM »
Melvyn, you get my vote too!   I can't apologize for Anthony Butler being rude but I've found so many people  being rude now-a-days when they disagree with almost anything.  Usually Republicans, but not always.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 03:25:06 PM »
Interesting that Mars is warming up at the same rate as Earth...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200704/s1890339.htm

Could it be global climate change is more solar related than man-made?

JLahrman

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 03:25:39 PM »
Over morning coffee this morning, my wife and I were speaking of this very subject. The climate/political events this past week have given me great cause for concern.

And two numbers jump out at me: 350 and 600,000,000.I

In 1650, there were roughly 600,000,000 people on Earth.

350 years later, that number is about 7,000,000,000, an increase of 6,400,000,000. That's BILLION.

Estimates indicate that there were about 200,000,000 at 0 AD.

Those numbers kind of frighten me....

David, the cover story of last month's National Geographic was about the increasing global population.  Interesting article.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 03:29:55 PM »
I didn't buy in to global climate change until Lou Duran convinced me.

Yes, me, the teacher of teachers; or is it the pedagogue to pedagogues?

Melvyn Hunter Morrow,

You've risen in my estimation, for whatever that's worth.

May I expect your sympathy if not your blessings should I be forced to obtain my doctor's permission to ride a cart during the upcoming King Putter in Bandon?

BTW, while at St. Andrews back in 2003, my family did pay our respects to your famous ancestors.  Even my wife, a non-golfer, found the experience to be quite moving.

Richard Choi

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 03:31:30 PM »
Science does not care if you "believe" or not and science does not care if some talkingheads on cable news network disputes it.

Science is about discovering truths and facts. The fact is the average temperature of the earth is rising and rising pretty fast (at least in geology scale).

That fact does not change just because your house is getting hammered by snow storm. It is just another point of measure among millions. In fact, rise in average temperature means there is more energy in the atmosphere. More energy means you will have more violent storms. That does not mean that the storm that the much of this country is experiencing is due to that, but in the long run you should expect more violent weather swings.

To put it in golfer's point of view, just because Tiger or Phil has a bad tournament or two does not mean that their career is on a decline. That can only be observed over a long period of time.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 03:34:54 PM »
Phillippe, why in the world would you want to throw the chum of global warming to this pack of ravenous piranha?

George Pazin

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 03:38:43 PM »
Phillippe, why in the world would you want to throw the chum of global warming to this pack of ravenous piranha?

Some men just want to watch the world burn...

Name the movie.

Gary, Anthony sure isn't a Republican... :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matt Kardash

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 03:39:26 PM »
No offense to anyone here, but if you have not studied in this area, or have read extensive scientific journals on the subject then what you are saying is your opinion. And to be honest opinion in science is worth absolutley nothing.

Fact: Climate change is NOT a controversial subject. Climate change is real and 99% of scientists will tell you this. There is not even a debate because we have data to back this up.

The only debate there potentially is is whether or not climate change is anthropogenic or not. In this regard there is slightly less consensus, however the scientific community is still vastly on the side of climate change being anthropogenic.....this means the data is telling us this. Therefore, anthropogenic climate change is not 100% in the bag, however the evidence points us there and computer models support the theory.

To me this is like people saying the Big Bang is wrong because they can't get past the bronze-age myth that the universe was created by God. Follow the science and the data, not your opinions.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Adam Clayman

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 03:43:47 PM »
I didn't BUY into either until Al Gore bought his mansion in Malibu.  Happy belated birthday Ayn 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Anthony Butler

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 04:24:11 PM »

Mr Anthony Butler

Rather nasty thing to say “OTM Spins in his grave while beseeching God... "Oh Lord, why did you have to take young Tommy so soon and leave this one on the earth... " What the hell do you know about Old Tom anyway.

AS for this bollocks about Global warming. No one knows not even you. I am reminded of the talk in the 1960’s of the new pending mini Ice Age about the spread over the Earth, that turned out to be an even hotter 1970’s than expected. Then the 1980’s all seem to settle but by the end up came the hot weather and water reserves very low, running into the 1990’s. Then we move into the 21st Century we are getting mixed messages. But do all our scientist’s   agree, of course NOT its still open for debate not to mention the farce of was it Essex Uni who caused some problem last year knowingly pass on false info to back up global warming. The point is no one knows, not even the gifted Anthony Butler, defender of free speech and global warming.

Seems you missed the cull, but with people like you this site is even more limited and restricted because you seem to know it all but alas all you are good for is to vomit crap.

There is a difference in not agreeing with someone and being blood rude about them and introducing dead family members.

What a nice man you are not

Melvyn

Melvyn,

The point is people do know about global warming... it is real and according to 99.9% of the scientific data available it is caused mostly by our activity here on earth. (The other .1% percent being either inconclusive or paid for by the Cato Institute)

The best scientific knowledge available tells us there have been fluctuations in the earth's temperature since as far back as we can accurately establish, but never at the scale or speed of what's happened since the Industrial Revolution. It is ironic that many people in various parts of the world insist that people live their life according to whatever someone called Jesus or Mohammed or Brigham Young or.. allegedly said hundreds or even thousands of years ago, yet want to call into question everything that the finest scientific minds of today say simply because it doesn't fit into their world view.

Go ahead and have your own ignorant opinions, but don't fault anyone else for believing in what has actually been proved or calling you out when you try to infect people with your bull---t theories.

As far as Old Tom Morris goes, since he probably spent a lot more of life outside than either you or me dealing with the elements, I imagine he would be a lot more sensitized as to the impact our activities are having on the environment. That's why farmers were the first environmentalists. That being the case, he'd probably whack you upside the head with a baffin' spoon for trading on his name instead of following in his footsteps.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 04:25:55 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 04:24:30 PM »
What, exactly, is the scientific definition of "a long period of time?" How long does a weather pattern have to exist before it is "an accepted weather pattern?"

The earth is 4.5 billion years old. My irons are 20 years old. I think I've had my irons for a very long period of time.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Anthony Butler

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 04:27:20 PM »
I didn't BUY into either until Al Gore bought his mansion in Malibu.  Happy belated birthday Ayn 
If Al Gore bought a mansion in Malibu it's because he believed in Google, not global warming.
Next!

Richard Choi

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 04:31:18 PM »
What, exactly, is the scientific definition of "a long period of time?" How long does a weather pattern have to exist before it is "an accepted weather pattern?"

The earth is 4.5 billion years old. My irons are 20 years old. I think I've had my irons for a very long period of time.

We have very detailed and precise temperature records (using ice cores and mud cores) going back about several hundred thousand years. We also have more broad temperature records based on fossil and sediment layer information going back several hundred millions years.

I will admit that we have very little record on what the temperature pattern was first 3 billion years or so...

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 04:40:12 PM »

We have very detailed and precise temperature records (using ice cores and mud cores) going back about several hundred thousand years. We also have more broad temperature records based on fossil and sediment layer information going back several hundred millions years.

I will admit that we have very little record on what the temperature pattern was first 3 billion years or so...

It would be rather spectacular science if they are able to isolate any given 150-year period out of the last 1.5 billion years and study the ups and downs of the thermometer during that time. But then again, if a scientist says he or she can do that, I certainly don't have the expertise to say it can't be done.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jamie Barber

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 04:43:17 PM »
If climate change is man made, we, as a species, lack the will to stop or reverse it. If it's not, there's probably little we could do anyway. Either way, what will be, will be. In my opinion.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 04:44:24 PM »

Ask Tom Paul ...

JMEvensky

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 04:49:48 PM »

Ask Tom Paul ...

Mucci could give you temperature AND prevailing winds.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2011, 04:56:25 PM »

I haven't been here in a while, but I'm glad to see your Geology background can help explain something more worthwhile than Chambers' Doak rating. Which, if I remember correctly falls somewhere in the neighborhood of the UM football win total over FBS schools the past two seasons.

By the way, good luck with your new corch.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back