News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

Re: Step by Step process for building a golf course
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 05:00:32 PM »
For what it is worth I saw this quote on Rees Jones' website...

You first need to know how to build a golf course before you can know how to design one.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2011, 05:09:30 PM »
Kinda like you need to know how to spell before you can write.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2011, 05:55:42 PM »
This thread reminds me of the old Steve Martin routine on how to avoid paying taxes on a million dollars.....

"First, make a  million dollars.....then......."
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Chris Wirthwein

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2011, 11:28:20 AM »
Mac, as far as the "money getting" part, while doing research for my Crooked Stick book, I found this on how Bobby Jones did it with Peachtree in the March 5, 1951 issue of Life magazine:

"The Peachtree course in Atlanta, Ga. is the brainchild of golfing’s great Bobby Jones…

Robert Tyre Jones, Jr., who quit competitive golf in 1930 when he won the “grand slam” – the British Open, the British Amateur, U.S. Open and U.S. Amateur – always wanted a championship course for his home town, Atlanta. In 1945, with two golfing friends and a golf course architect named Robert Trent Jones, he selected a 230-acre tract of land. Architect Jones drew up a plan for the proposed course. Then golfer Jones entertained 20 wealthy Atlantans, showed them the plan and asked them to buy a share of stock – at $3,000 a share. He sold 20 shares right away, then another 50. It took nearly three years and $500,000 to finish Peachtree and its clubhouse."

By the way, Jones' approach is roughly what Pete Dye did in 1964. His goal was 100 investors at $6000 each. He didn;t quite get there, but somehow Pete convinced a lot of people to go along with him. Not bad for a former insurance salesman with only a handful of course to his credit at the time.

You can read some excerpts about how Pete financed and built Crooked Stick at: www.crookedstickbook.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2011, 09:55:15 PM »
Mac:

Steps #1-1,000: Hire someone who knows what they're doing to build it for you. ;)

You should read Driving the Green its a great, but very sad. story of a guy who bought land in Florida and built the "course of his dreams."

You can buy a copy for $1-2 on Amazon. Well worth your time if you're really interested in building something and the process involved.

That was my first golf architecture book, written by John Strawn, president of Robert Trent Jones Jr golf design company. It's sort of a recounting of how Murphy's Law can impact a golf construction project.   :o

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back