News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stewart Abramson

Move to Mash Merion Madness - with Link to photos
« on: October 30, 2010, 08:39:33 AM »
In an effort to once and for all  resolve the madness about what has been described as a "sore subject" I took the last week off from work to dirve down to the Main Line and get to the botom of the Wilson-McDonald dispute. My first stop was the Drexel University library where I demanded to see the Horatio Gates Lloyd archives. After getting a puzzled look from the lead archivist, I was led to a room in the basement and given the Lloyd files. Unfortuantely, all they had were the Christopher Lloyd files, which she said had recently had a spike in interest due to the anniversary and re-release of the "Back to the Future" trilogy. I did learn the Rev Jim Ignatowski was an avid golfer and was involved in the tree removal project at Olympic, but I digress.

-Space for green or blue respones/analysis or nasty comments-

Undeterred, on the following days I visited the libraries at Villanova University, Bryn Mawr College and Haverford College, with no luck. However, the librarian at Haverford did advise that everything they had on Merion East and Hugh Wilson had been turned over to the Club in conncetion with their preparation for hosting the 2013 U.S. Open, So my next step was to go to the club itself, which was more difficult to find as they have no sign at the club entance in an effort to keep GCA riff-raff  from bothering them.

At the pro shop, after purchasing some shirts and a hat, I demanded to see the man in charge and surprsingly they did introduce me to the only Club Board member who was then present at the club. I received a very warm welcome and a tour of the various rooms filled with books and memorabila. I told him of my mission, and to my disbelief he was unaware of the ongoing dispute regarding the origins of the course and did not believe me when I told him of the pages of bitter posts. He was certain that I had made the whole sad story up or that Messrs Paul and Moriarty were fictional creations. [Most of this last sentence is true]  

He showed me to the men's locker room and in the far corner above one of the old green metal lockers was a shoe box on which was scribbled on top "H.G. LLoyd."  We peaked in the box but alas, the only thing in it was a photo of the grassy knoll next to Dealy Plaza and a yellow sticky paper with a happy face.

The Board member suggestede that we decide for ourselves who designed Merion East by a fourball match on these hallowed grounds that recently hosted the Walker Cup. So, we formed two teams, the "Paul-bearers" and the "Moriarty Professors" found two other willing participants and walked to the first tee. Unfortuantley, our match ended All-Square, so the mystery will remain unsolved, for those who believe in mysteries.

In any event, I did have a wonderful day at Merion and took some time for some snapshots between golf shots which I will share by this link.

http://sports.webshots.com/album/578902286ELHLnB

The Board member provided commentary as to changes being made to the course in anticipation of the'13 US Open. There was more than this, but this is all I can remember:

second hole - removal of the white posts along the roadside on the right, narrowing the fairway, and more closley mowing the grass all the way to the road (reducing the chance that rough will prevent errant shots from going O.B.

several holes - new tee boxes to add length (on #12, the club purchased the house behind the current back tee, will remove the fence, bury the utilty wires and build a new tee)

several holes -  tree removal (most in conjunction with new tee placements)

#12 -  modify green to eliminate "uncuppable" hole positions at high stimp speeds

replace sand in bunkers, to be whiter and to provide that balls sit precisely half buried
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 08:44:37 AM by Stewart Abramson »

TEPaul

Re: Move to Mash Merion Madness - with Link to photos
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 09:04:42 AM »
Stewart:

Thanks for you remarks. Isn't it wonderful how nice that club and its membership can be? It has always been my experience and with others how friendly they are and how much interest they take in their club and course and its history. I wish all others would approach them as you did.

As for that member or board member you met, like anything else some are aware of this website and what's gone on here to varying degrees and some aren't.

There was a time, perhaps ten years ago, when some on the committee charged with the bunker project were very interested in what was discussed on here about Merion and its bunkers (apparently they even printed out some discussion on here and took it into the committee meetings) and I feel I almost had its chairman convinced to directly participate on here (it was before GCA registration). But unfortunately just about within a day a participant on a post on here called one of the members of that committee the Devil incarnate and that was the end of any participation on here directly on the part of Merion. The committeeman called me back and said; "Why would we want to participate on a site that has people who say things like that about us?"
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 09:07:54 AM by TEPaul »

Jim Eder

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 11:52:55 AM »
TEPaul,

What a terrible result, it is sad.  Too bad as there are many on this site with so much knowledge. There is definitely a lesson in what you wrote.

Stewart,

Great work and research and thanks for the update on the changes for 2013.

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 11:58:50 AM »
JimE:

It sure is sad. It's been very sad to me and for me for just about a decade now. It probably could've been better, maybe a lot better, and perhaps it's even possible in the future but to do that I think it would take a whole lot of moderation and moderating and oversight, active and otherwise and for that a good place to start would probably be the formation of a GCA Standard Operating Procedure complete with perhaps a panel to oversee it. This has been talked about and might be getting actively considered and recently too.

Jim Eder

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 12:14:24 PM »
TEPaul,

I am sorry to hear that. I am an optimist and believe it is possible. This site and the people on this site are beyond amazing and can have incredible positive influences. I am humbled by many of the people on this site. Hopefully each of us look into ourselves and choose the right path as this site has too much potential and is too special for it not to achieve its full potential. Keep up the good work and thanks for trying your best.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 11:10:30 PM »
TEPaul, lay your burden down...a decade is a long time to sweat something of that nature...the done is the done.

At the 2009 Walker, I specifically looked at that house behind #12 tee and wondered how the owners/inhabitants must feel to abut such an historical corner of golfing history.  It seems that a fence must go up to keep curious and nonpaying viewers along the ironically-named Golfview Road from trespassing on the property.

Here's a question for all to answer:  which is the weakest hole on the course?  I would venture #9.  It doesn't strike me as the equal of the other par 3 holes.  Its only redeeming value would be an amazing putting surface...for those in the know, is the green of pre-eminent quality?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 06:42:38 AM »
Stewart:

Great post...I got a real kick out of it. Looks like from your pictures you had a perfect fall day to tackle the course. :)
H.P.S.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 07:54:16 AM »
Here's a question for all to answer:  which is the weakest hole on the course?  I would venture #9.  It doesn't strike me as the equal of the other par 3 holes.

Ron Tricks O'Hooligan - First happy Halloween. With that moniker, today must be your favorite holiday. I've replayed my round in my head several times and am loathe to burden any hole there as being weak, even in the context of weakest among olympians. Among the par 3's, #3 and #17 are clearly tougher. #13 is very short (for many just a wedge shot), but the putting surafce is hidden from the tee and the big front bunker adds some intimidation about not hitting a precise shot. I suppose #9 is the "plain Jane" of the four. I was lucky to have a caddie and playing partner who clubbed me well. I was pin high off the tee on the first three par 3's. I didn't fare as well on the monster #17. What a hole!

Stewart: Great post...I got a real kick out of it. Looks like from your pictures you had a perfect fall day to tackle the course. :)

Thanks Pat. I'm glad someone got a kick out of it. There is way too much seriousness here these days, partciualrly Re: Merion. It was a funny weather day. The sun and wind kept coming and going so the jacket kept coming on and off. Beautiful for playing golf. I would take 365 of those days/yr if I was playing there. (before anyone gets bent out of shape, that's not intended as "access Ho'ing"... just saying it was a great day.)

Chris Flamion

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 12:00:37 PM »
Stewart,

Very well written.  Tongue in cheek with intelligent dialogue is always appreciated.

The photos are equally impressive, amazing how much movement is on that property.

Chris

JESII

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 02:14:53 PM »

Here's a question for all to answer:  which is the weakest hole on the course?  I would venture #9.  It doesn't strike me as the equal of the other par 3 holes.  Its only redeeming value would be an amazing putting surface...for those in the know, is the green of pre-eminent quality?

Strange question - is it possible for the teeing ground to be the best feature on a par 3?

I would guess 10 or 11 are the weakest hole. 9 has always seemed like a really cool hole to me, even if it is the weakest par 3 out there.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 02:21:17 PM »
Jim,

You are a funny guy...read my question this way:  is the green a great one, an average one, or a poor one?  You may be the only fellow who could have read what you did into my question.  Now, if it were an RTJ Senior runway tee...
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 02:24:53 PM »
I believe it is the 4th at Merion, the par five, whose third shot reminds me of the tee ball on 9.  The shot is played downhill and the greens, albeit of different shaping, are both surrounded by bunkers and fronted by water.  The shots to the other three par threes are unlike any other shot on the course, which led me to my question about #9s weakness.  Then again, it might be the third shot's weakness on #4.  Please continue the barrage.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

JESII

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 02:26:59 PM »
Ronald,

Was the pin up front for you?

I think the green surface and surrounding complex are really good, but if the hole was right up front the coolest parts wouldn't have stood out. I'd put it on the lower edge of great.

JESII

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 02:31:34 PM »
No barrage...and not much disagreement about the similarity to the approach to #4. It is immediately adjacent so the topography is as similar as can be. The only thing is, #9 should be much longer than the third to #4, but the 4th green is much more severe. There are definite similarities though.

At that level of analysis, I would say the approach to 8 is similar to the tee shot on 13 just because of the big lip staring at you with a wedge of wome sort...but I usually play 8 fine, but haven't made less than 5 on 13 in years...

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 02:40:49 PM »
Full disclosure:  I haven't played Merion.  I walked it for two days at the (appropriately named) Walker Cup (why is it that two international events pit walkers and ryders against each other?) and noticed the similarity.  I then set about to find a weak hole on the course and could only come up with 9 or 12.

Maybe it's the fact that both drop straight down the fall line, instead of coming in at an angle, that makes me pose the question.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

JESII

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 02:47:50 PM »
I think very few people have similar length shots into the two holes. Their terrain is necessarily very similar, but the 4th has alot of moving parts before the approach shot.

I think 9 and 12 are stronger than 10 and 11.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 02:50:34 PM »
Interesting...I found the layup on 10 and the incredibly exacting approach to the green two of the most challenging shots of that particular portion of the course.  The drives to 11 and 12 might be a wash, but I think that the approach to 11 is more precise than the one to 12.  The green on 12, however, is much more severe than its predecessor.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

JESII

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 03:03:49 PM »
The 10th green isn't all that small, and the tee shot really only needs to go 225 to have a flat lie and clear look. Don't get me wrong, you can get in trouble, as with any other hole out there, but unless you're going for the green off the tee the shots don't exactly get your blood pumping.

11 is cool because of the little low area the green sits in and the big rock right next to the tee, but we're looking for a weakest hole on one of the best 10 or 20 courses in the world...the tee shot doesn't give you any decisions and the green surface itself is pretty bland.

On 12, the green is so severe it puts pressure on you back to the tee, so the tee shot can be any of your three longest clubs, and they would have to be aimed at different spots depending on which club you choose.

Sean Leary

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 03:05:04 PM »
I have played Merion twice, once in the early spring and once in the late fall. Both times there were few to no leaves on a lot of the trees surrounding the property so it is amazing to see the difference in look with leaves on the trees, especially on holes 6-9 and 11-12.

Other than the moving fairway on 4 and the narrowness of the fairways in general it is damn near a perfect course.

JESII

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 03:09:04 PM »
Can you imagine how cool it would look with wall-to-wall fairways? I mean fence line to fence line...

Eric Smith

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 04:59:02 PM »
Love the thread and the pics Stewart, thanks for posting!  

Ronald, I don't see the 9th as the weakest hole, though I can't offer an opinion of another hole as a replacement candidate either. I don't think there is a weak one in the bunch.

When I played there last month, the 9th was in the middle of my teeny tiny hot streak. I had just choked down on a 9 iron on number 8, after having no control whatsoever with my approach shots to that point, and hit a laser beam on to the middle of the green, two putts for a par and we then walked to the 9th. What a gorgeous little hole, the setting is sublime, where again you see and (eventually hear) the trickle of the famous Baffling Brook! Fortune would have it that this hole with its extreme front hole location would require another 9 iron. I hit it hole high just on the fringe. Crossing over the brook at the little footbridge in front of the green, I stopped and rinsed my club, taking it all in. This part of the property is likely where my kids would love to have a play date. It's just awesome. Storybook awesome.

Two putts later and I had my par. I failed to mention that back on the tee our host described the left rear hole location as really fun to watch good players go at. He said the Walker Cuppers didn't have too much of a problem with it, but regular good players can have difficulty with the semi blind pin, tucked back in that nook. I would love to see what it looks like from the tee with the wicker basket peeking up from there!

We then climbed the hill to the tenth tee, under that big old magnificent tree. I hit a nice drawing 2 wood started at the big bunker with the scotch broom growing in it (lovely to look at) and my ball settled just through the right edge of the fairway into the rough. When I arrived at my ball, lo and behold, another 9 iron shot, that this time was going to pay dividends as I choked down on the shaft as I had done the previous two holes and struck a perfect high little drawing approach, landing in front of the hole and rolling maybe 12 feet past.  A birdie I will always remember.

On 18 I hit my best drive of the day by far and wouldn't you know it, I had a 9 iron in there as well.

Two putts and it was big old grins, handshakes and bear hugs all around for what in my mind has to be my most favorite round of golf I have ever played.  I love Merion. She's one in a million.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 08:17:10 PM by Eric Smith »

JESII

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 05:04:28 PM »
Good story Eric but I have to ask...you hit a 9 iron in to 10 and 18...how much farther does your driver go than your 2 wood? 18 is usually about 150 yards longer than 10...that's a big gap!

TEPaul

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 05:23:26 PM »
Ronald:

I must admit I have never heard anyone mention that the third shot into a par 5 is similar or too similar to a par 3 even if the two holes are next to one another and on the same high to low topography.

From the tips #4 is pretty much an "unreachable" in two or sure used to be. Given that the tee shot sure isn't easy and the second shot has a pretty well known complexity---eg actually figuring out the correct direction to hit the second shot as one cannot see the fairway, I really wouldn't say that the third shot is that much similar to the tee shot on #9 except occassionally.

#9 has a fairly recent new back tee and I think it can play up to 210 or maybe even 220. That back left pin position is generally one that could probably be fairly labeled a "sucker" pin. The smart play is to get the distance right to get over the mid-green ridge and to the right of that back left pin.

In my opinion, #9's green is one of the more "strategic" par 3 greens I'm aware of.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 05:25:17 PM by TEPaul »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 07:19:52 PM »
Tom,

How new is that tee on #9?  Was it in place for the Walker Cup last Fall?  It would clearly make the hole much different from the third into #4.

The impetus for my question came from a few moments of recollection on a lazy Fall afternoon.  I had recalled the 9th as so downhill that a club or two would be taken off the yardage, hence the comparison with the third into #4.

It's nice to read the thoughts of fellows with much greater knowledge (especially the playing kind!) of Merion than I.  While it's not the stuff that brings about new directions in architectural study, I think that these wee notions offer an opportunity for civilized and tangential discussion.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Eric Smith

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 07:54:22 PM »
Good story Eric but I have to ask...you hit a 9 iron in to 10 and 18...how much farther does your driver go than your 2 wood? 18 is usually about 150 yards longer than 10...that's a big gap!

Jim,

On the day we played the wind was blowing at a constant 30 mph or so for most of the day.  This was Saturday, October 16th I believe. If you were at home in Philly that day you'll no doubt recall this breeze --it was a wind tunnel out there!  I am guessing those two holes (10 & 18) are in opposite directions.  Also, I don't carry a driver, it is 2 wood or bust for me! :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 08:18:55 PM by Eric Smith »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back