News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Bert

Re: Bandon Area Question
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 10:27:44 PM »
Ronald - Don't be sorry.  We all have different tastes and different opinions.  I'm completely comfortable in my skin.  Hopefully you are as well, so it is all good.  My take isn't intended as a slight to Crossings.  I've never played it, so I don't have a bad thing to say about it.  It's just not in the bag for me.  I disclosed openly that I hadn't been there when I provided my opinion.  Honestly, I'm pretty close to skipping out on Trails in future trips out there as well, so it isn't simply resort / non-resort for me.  It is a simple matter of limited rounds to play and Pacific Dunes and Old Macdonald are so high up on the fun factor / enjoyment scale for me that I see no reason to go somewhere else.  I would probably skip Spyglass Hill and Spanish Bay if they were next door to Bandon as well, and I think those are both good courses. 

Jud_T

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2010, 04:28:34 AM »
Ronald,

I haven't played the Crossings either, but I can tell you that unless I'm out there for 2 or 3 weeks someday, I probably never will.  When you have some of the best courses in the world at your doorstep and you've travelled all the way there and have limited time, I can't inderstand forsaking even 1 round to play elsewhere.  To me this smacks of the Ballybunion Old/Cashen debate.  Even with a free second round offered at the Cashen and no replay available on the old I'd still choose to get a massage and save my strength for bigger game.  To each his own I guess.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2010, 09:44:07 PM »
Ronald,
Last time Laura and I were playing Bandon (2005) we (gasp!) took an afternoon off, drove an hour south to Gold Beach, and took the jet boat trip up the Rogue River.  We saw elk. bear, bald eagles, river otters, golden seals, and a ton of other neat stuff.

The Southern OR Coast has a lot to offer.  Much of it compliments the world-class golf at Bandon very well.

We played 5 rounds in 3 days, and that afternoon as a really nice break and a ton of fun.

Tim Bert

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2010, 09:54:59 PM »
Ronald,
Last time Laura and I were playing Bandon (2005) we (gasp!) took an afternoon off, drove an hour south to Gold Beach, and took the jet boat trip up the Rogue River.  We saw elk. bear, bald eagles, river otters, golden seals, and a ton of other neat stuff.

The Southern OR Coast has a lot to offer.  Much of it compliments the world-class golf at Bandon very well.

We played 5 rounds in 3 days, and that afternoon as a really nice break and a ton of fun.

Well, at least you didn't use that time to play Crossings!   ;)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2010, 10:08:36 PM »
Tim,
Crossings wasn't there in 2005, but Old Bandon looked kinda cool from my hotel room at the Inn at Face Rock.

I did look at Crossings when I was driving through the area last year on vacation (no golf due to the bad economy).  Looked OK, but it was certainly no Bandon.  Not even close.

John Moore II

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2010, 09:43:17 PM »
In the spirit of this thread, I have a question about Bandon. I intend to play the King's Putter rounds, but due to my schedule, I won't be able to play Bandon Dunes on Friday. For the best experience, should I attempt to wiggle my way onto Sheep Ranch, play Bandon Links with hickory clubs or play Bandon Dunes that Sunday afternoon? Or, do any of the KP participants, or any others familiar with weather and sunlight in Bandon in March think there will be time for 9 holes at Bandon Links after the KP rounds are over on Saturday?

Roger Tufts

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2010, 10:00:44 PM »
To follow up a little, I'll give some notes from day 2 from my laptop at the resort.

Old Bandon Golf Links was a lot of fun. A really fun track for such a small property, and whacking around the gutties with the old clubs is just awesome. We hung around for a little bit afterwards too to have a couple beers with Troy, who is an awesome guy and a wonderful host. Given our circumstances, flying into Coos Bay at 1pm and only being able to play like 9 holes, it was perfect. Nice day, as the showers from the morning cleared. We also jetted up to shorties and played in about 40 minutes and finished just about in the dark. It was a blast, not another soul up there.

This morning we woke up, it was clear, and the radar showed no rain. We had the first time off of BD @ 740, and it started to rain steadily. The other 2 for our group decided not to play, so me and my friend played as a twosome through the rain. The course was a blast, and aside from teeing off from the wrong tee of the two on #2, it went pretty good. The rain cleared around the 7th hole, then started again on the 11th. By the 12th it was absolutely dumping on us and we were soaked, but still enjoyed it. The stretch of #4-6 are awesome, and for being away from the ocean I also enjoyed 7-10. #12 is also sweet, and #16 was spectacular. Rain cleared right after we finished, and I was praying during lunch that it would stay clear for our PD round in the afternoon.

While we were eating, the wind changed, and kept the rest of the storm away for the rest of the day. We had an ABSOLUTE BLAST on PD in the afternoon, going off as a twosome with caddy "Brett" in perfect weather. We had sun by the 7th hole. The course just absolutely blew us away, and both of us really liked that we played BD first, because we would have not been so wowed by BD if we had played it after PD. Just spectacular. Our caddie also told us that some of the "secret (re: Tom Watson) tees" were no longer in existence because it was too annoying to keep them in good condition when nobody almost ever used them. He also told us that the Sheep Ranch has lost their watering privileges, so he said nobody has played over there in quite some time... interesting.

I was sooooooo happy the rain stayed away for PD, but if at all possible I may try to see if a time has opened for Tuesday morning on BD because I would love another crack at BD. It was a fun track and seems like you can almost hit the ball anywhere, save for #4 and #5.

More to come tomorrow... BT @ 8:10, and OM @ 1:20! Got the same caddy for tomorrow as well.

Moral here: If you have some time, really try to go over and whack some hickories around at OBGL. Was a blast. Maybe not if you have time to play a full round at the resort and your hell-bent on it, but I would definitely get back there again given the same circumstances or if I was super golfed out. Just chatting with Troy afterwards was worth the trip over there too, and seeing Face Rock Beach and the road back to Bandon Resort along the water.
Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2010, 10:28:09 PM »
I really think it should be based on what you enjoy the most. I have friends that like Bandon Dunes best and others that are partial to Pacific.  I have only done the 10 hole at Old Mac and thought it was great fun.  Not partial to Trails and would forget it.  Bandon Crossings is not what you go to Bandon for.

I would do Trails once and the others each 3 times for a total of ten!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2010, 08:38:22 AM »
Roger - thanks for that post.

Playing Old Bandon gets you into the Bandon town itself.  Throwing a few bucks into the locally owned economy is always a good thing when you're on vacation.  Plus, the halibut fish and chips down at the Bandon waterfront are unforgettable.

Roger Tufts

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2010, 06:37:23 PM »
Roger - thanks for that post.

Playing Old Bandon gets you into the Bandon town itself.  Throwing a few bucks into the locally owned economy is always a good thing when you're on vacation.  Plus, the halibut fish and chips down at the Bandon waterfront are unforgettable.

Not to mention a view of one of Clint Eastwood's houses, and the caddy-owned-and-operated bar!

Great trip. Old Mac blew me away--I've never had so many putts in my life, but it was spectacular. I wish I had more time to get into it, but Cornell tends to give me work in large bursts, and I am in the middle of one right now. All I can say is get out there as soon as you can! Also, apparently my caddie out there caddied for Ran and Tom when Ran did his course profile of Old Mac. Some funny coincidences!
Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2010, 07:55:18 PM »
[\quote]
Not to mention a view of one of Clint Eastwood's houses, and the caddy-owned-and-operated bar!
[/quote

Expand, please on the caddie owned and operated bar.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:59:10 PM by Pete_Pittock »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2010, 08:26:28 PM »
Ronald,

I haven't played the Crossings either, but I can tell you that unless I'm out there for 2 or 3 weeks someday, I probably never will.  When you have some of the best courses in the world at your doorstep and you've travelled all the way there and have limited time, I can't inderstand forsaking even 1 round to play elsewhere.  To me this smacks of the Ballybunion Old/Cashen debate.  Even with a free second round offered at the Cashen and no replay available on the old I'd still choose to get a massage and save my strength for bigger game.  To each his own I guess.

The first time I played Ballybunion Old, I played 36/18 all on the old, the last time, I split my 36, 18 Old and 18 Cashen. I must tell you, not to play Cashen is a mistake. It is way too hard, the dunes are enormous, just enormous, but the uniqueness and challenges made it a very memorable, worthwhile round.

Would I play it again? Not sure, very difficult walk.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Anthony Gray

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2010, 07:52:41 AM »

Roger look at your finish in your photo,your spine must be made of rubber.I agrre with a poster earlier,go downtown by the pier and get some fresh seafood,it is part of the Bandon experience.

Anthony

Roger Tufts

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2010, 01:00:03 AM »
@PP ~ The caddie owned and operated bar is called "The Arcade" if I am not mistaken. It is in Old Town Bandon. Our caddie explained to us that there were 3 caddies at Bandon who grew up there and had always wanted to have their own bar. Apparently they looped their butts off for a few years and saved every bit of money, and bought the bar for $300,000 cash. Pretty cool story, now they operate it and its the town hangout for all the caddies. All of the Bandon caddies apparently play at Bandon Crossings a lot too.

On that note, I am glad that I got off of the property for both the Old Bandon Golf Links round and the Bandon Crossings round. Both were fun tracks. OBGL is this tiny course stuck in a little valley between dunes, and it was really fun. There is a creek that runs through the center of the course, and it comes into play on 7 out of 9 holes on the out-and-back layout. Just a fun place to be with the Hickories especially.

Crossings was a nice break from the intense rounds at Bandon, especially playing it between my two rounds at Old MacDonald. It is a fun little course with some fun forced carries and some really interesting par 5s that are a blast to play! A couple of really pretty par 3s as well, and every hole seems vastly different than another you have played out there. For its price, it is also a nice breather on the wallet. I think the course would stand out more if it was away from the sanctuary of golf just down the road... Holes to note are #4, #5, #14, #16, #17, #18. 17 is a beautiful short par 3, and the carries on 4, 5, and 18 are a blast. 14 is a fun drop shot par 3, and 16 is a driveable par 4 with trouble everywhere if you miss.

@ AG ~ That picture is from a singles championship tournament my senior year of high school, 4 years ago. I don't know if my spine can still do that, but I don't think I finish that high behind the ball anymore, otherwise I would hit it sky-high!

And some more notes about my Bandon Adventure:

Day 2 of Resort golf commenced with an early morning round at Bandon Trails. I really enjoyed the layout, and it is MUCH more a test of accuracy compared to the others. I found it somewhat of a tough walk compared to the others, and my feet felt it especially after the end of a 43 hole day. The uphill par 5 16th to me seemed a little out of place, and it is an absolute monster into the wind. 17 and 18 are a brilliant finish though, ending back up in the dunes. The view from the black tees on #1 did however leave me wondering what else could have / would have been in store had the routing winded through the dunes between BT and BD.

The afternoon was our first round on Old Mac. When asked what tees we had wanted to play, my playing partner and I saw that the back tees were ~ 6940 and thought it was somewhat within our reach, and the starter cautioned us. We figured that we wanted to see the whole course and that we could move up the following afternoon if we chose to. Boy were we in for a battle... By the 4th tee we started to realize just how long the course actually is from back there. #4 played over 500 yards, but downwind so it wasnt too bad. The green at the 5th is easily the biggest green I have ever seen, and I was lucky enough to birdie the hole in both rounds. I wasn't so lucky on #6, as I don't think I even made a bogey in either round. The hole from the back tees just plays SOOOOO long! The 2ish club wind combined with my somewhat out-of-season fade swing created a tough series of events to reach that green in three. I consider myself a fairly long hitter, and I hit driver-driver-3wood just to be pin high. #7 is an absolutely wonderful hole, and interesting that it is one of the true originals on the course. I was lucky enough to birdie it the 2nd of our two rounds on Old Mac. The greensite just couldn't be passed upon, and leaves you licking your chops heading down to the Biarritz. I also found it cool and congruent with Ran's thoughts in his profile, as it seems the Biarritz and Redan are almost switched in terms of yardage, but you almost don't even notice given the wind and elevation change.

The one hole out there that I felt was a little strange was the 10th. I understand the strategic value of the "Bottle" design, and how it is supposed to be played, however as the caddie agreed with me, it is almost too penal. Laying back behind the bunkers leaves a REALLY long shot to be played into that wind. Our caddie informed me that the hole was meant to be played from left-center so I attempted to risk the deep bunkers and found one of them. He after told me that he had begin lining people up outside of the fairway on the right side, as it offers no trouble, but that he knew I was a student of course-architecture and that the architect would roll over in his grave to hear such a thing! It just seemed slightly out of place in a sense of unwarranted penalty. The road hole 11th plays as an absolute beast into the wind. The following day, from the green tees (up 25~yards) my playing partner crushed a driver and a 4 wood to reach in two and walked away with par. I also really enjoyed the finish of 15-18. 15 is a very wonderful par 5 with another breathtaking greensite. Another par 5 that required a driver-driver approach, but this time I just had a short pitch to the back pin locations. The Alps 16th is an incredible design. The bunkers protecting the green are simply awesome, and the dangerous depth of the railroad tie-sided short bunker isn't understood until you are looking down upon it. Even walking up to the green you think it is maybe 6 feet deep, not the actual 15 or so that it is! I found that #17 played better from the green tees the following round. From the black tees you can't really take the bunkers into play, but rather must lay back leaving 260 downwind into the green. While this shot is in my bag, clearing a bunker 40 yards short and stopping the ball off links-land downslope all the way to the pin is not. With a 4 iron, however, as is the case of taking the bunkers right into play from the green tees, it is a far more fun option. Finally, the 18th was simply awesome. The 2nd round offered my best shot of the trip. I hit my drive around ~310 downwind, and was left with just a PW. I hit it slightly thin, and left, but watched it ride the punchbowl contours all the way back to the pin. Near the pin it hit a tuft of rough, stopped dead, and rolled down the bowl and lipped out for a 2. I walked up and tapped in the 1 footer shortly after, walking away with a 79 -- satisfied, but hungry for my return to Bandon.

Following the first round at Old Mac, we had time to fit the first 7 holes of PD in again before dark (for freeeee!). Both my friend Chris and I teed off from the "Tom Watson tee" at #4. Took a beautiful picture (attached below) from the tee during sunset. Both of us hit our drives around 320, and had 5irons in to the hole that played ~530 from all the way back. Unfortunately we both hit poor irons and chips, and both lipped out for par. Was fun to get those 7 holes in before dark, but my feet were paying for it while we watched Monday Night Football from the deck of the Pacific Grill with beer-in-hand.

All-in-all, I will be back to this place as soon as I can.

#4 at Pacific Dunes @ Sunset, from the back tee.

#10 upper tee at Pacific Dunes, with me in my follow through.

#2 at Old Bandon Golf Links with Hickory Sticks. Chris @ Impact. Kudos to the person who made the stands for these bags...

#1 at Bandon Trails, on a cloudless day @ 8am.

#17 at Bandon Crossings (booo cartpaths...)

#5 at Old MacDonald on a cloudless day...

Looking up the coast North at the Sheep Ranch! From around the turnstand.

Kevin Pallier

Re: Bandon Area Question (now with pictures on page 2!)
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2010, 05:46:02 AM »
Roger

Glad you enjoyed your trip. How would you now schedule your courses on a return visit ?

Roger Tufts

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2010, 09:46:33 AM »
Kevin, I think a return trip would look something like this...

1 BC 1 BT 2 BD 3 PD 3 OM

Though given the time limitation for only a half round, definitely include OBGL. Also, given that I have now played Bandon Crossings, on a return trip I would be tempted to skip it. It really was a fun course, but just given that I have seen the whole track I may be tempted to not play it each time I am out there, as it was kind of a hassle to get there (the transportation company tried to screw us...).

Note that my original post did not include OBGL in a 10 round split, as it was already going to be a part of my trip.

William_G

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2010, 03:56:40 PM »
Roger,

Love the pic of #1 at Trails!

Thanks
It's all about the golf!

Roger Tufts

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2010, 04:10:43 PM »
Just a few more pictures for your viewing pleasures:

The look from the tee @ #14 at Bandon Trails (on a cloudless day, again.)

The 17th at Bandon Trails

Looking back from the 3rd Green at Old Bandon Golf Links. The hole is only about ~180 yards, but plays as a par 4 with the hickory clubs and gutties, as the average hitter hits the ball around 160 with the Play club (~driver) and you have to carry a creek at exactly 160 yards. The hole played downwind the day I played it, and I smoked one to the back of the green on one. The other ball you see is my playing partner about to lip out his chip for birdie. The 3rd is nestled nicely at the base of a dune, and the player who lays up has to clear a creek also. The creek crosses the hole twice, but it plays as a nice hole for 2 mid-iron shots too with the gutta perchas. The 3rd green is the first point of turnaround for the out-and-back layout.

A look at #11 at Pacific Dunes. The clouds that brought driving and drenching rain for the morning round at BD cleared in time for the afternoon round at PD, but some of their fog was lingering.

#13 at Pacific Dunes. In my opinion, #13 at PD and #5 at BD, and #7 at OM are the best holes at the resort. Just spectacular holes, all tough par 4s but in the most supreme of settings.

Enjoy!

@WG~ Thanks, it is a classic picture, but the early morning cloudless sky makes the green out there just pop out of the dunes.

Alex Miller

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2010, 07:16:24 PM »

#13 at Pacific Dunes. In my opinion, #13 at PD and #5 at BD, and #7 at OM are the best holes at the resort. Just spectacular holes, all tough par 4s but in the most supreme of settings.

Enjoy!

@WG~ Thanks, it is a classic picture, but the early morning cloudless sky makes the green out there just pop out of the dunes.

Awesome pics Roger! Glad you had a good time and enjoyed Bandon Crossings.

Interesting that what seem to be if not the three best holes at the resort, probably top 5 at worst, all play to the north with green sites adjacent to the coast. Just saying!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back