News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Emmet at Iroquois - and another possible at Mohawk View
« on: October 01, 2010, 08:09:25 PM »
NEW IROQUOIS
G0LF COURSE
PROGRESSING
It is Planned to Have Nine Temporariy Holes Ready by July First

Construction of the Iroquois Golflinks, in the rear of the Locomotive Club, is going on apace. It is planned to have nine temporary holes ready for competition on July 1 or 4, but next  spring the club will blossom forth with 18 holes. The course was designed by Devereux Emmet of New York, noted golf architect, and is being constructed under the supervision of Philip Turnesa, a brother of Joe Turnesa, professional at the Elmsford (NY) Country Club. Turnesa began his work on the Iroquois course on Monday and promises to rush the work along. Turneaa, who was sent here by Mr. Emmet to direct the work at the Iroquois course, came here from Mechanicville(NY) where he worked on the reconstruction of the course there.

The article says that the course was being built behind the Locomotive Club and I found a photo of that building:

I was also able to find out the address of the club, which is now the Town of Niskayuna Rec. and Senior Center, located at 2682 Aqueduct Rd., Niskayuna, NY. There is a caption under the photo that says the town left the swimming pool when they bought the building in 1990 and it(pool) can be seen in the modern aerial.

I do not know if the course was ever put into service, and I have never heard of this club. There are some ‘Emmets’ in the area, one very nearby called the Edison Club, but this one seems to be NLE.

Anyone ever hear of this place?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 09:11:46 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Joe Bausch

Re: Emmet at Iroquois
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 08:19:27 PM »
What is the date and source of this info Jim?
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 08:45:15 PM »
Joe,
The Schenectady Gazette, Wednesday Morning, June 4, 1924.

I also found another Emmet that I haven't heard of, The Battle Island golf course, BI state park., in Oswego, NY. Here's the link, it's a copy of a letter from the Osewgo paper:  
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Process%20Small/Scrapbook%2002-10-2004%20%20pdf/Srapbook%2002-10%20-%200032.pdf#xml=http://www.fultonhistory.com/dtSearch/dtisapi6.dll?cmd=getpdfhits&u=ffffffff9d0c441f&DocId=12963933&Index=Z%3a%2fFulton%20Historical&HitCount=2&hits=e6+e7+&SearchForm=C%3a%5cinetpub%5cwwwroot%5cFulton%5fNew%5fform%2ehtml&.pdf

I found a later reference to some work at the BI course that was done by RTJsr in 1938, using WPA labor. That info came from the Oswego-Palladium Times, Tuesday, Oct. 31, 1939.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 10:17:53 PM »
I don't know about the golf course, but the clubhouse is strange and very interesting.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 10:31:38 PM by Tom MacWood »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 08:56:43 AM »
TMac,
I'm don't know if the golf club used the building  in the photo for a clubhouse, the article says the course was behind the Locomotive Club. It is an interesting/strange old building, though.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 01:37:52 PM »
Mohawk Golf Club is another Emmet course right near this location as well.  In fact, that could be the same club with a slightly more specific name and slightly different location.  However, it would not be surprising if there was an NLE Emmet course in that area.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 02:23:04 PM »
JNC,
I didn't post the complete article, which said in part that the high number of rounds at Mohawk and Schenectady CC's gave impetus to the building of Iroquios.

Jim_Kennedy

JNC Lyon

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 06:10:40 PM »
That all makes sense, and it is plausible that Emmet would have been in the area to build Iroquois.  From the article, it sounds like Iroquois was definitely completed and put into service at some point.  If it no longer exists, it was like built over by houses in the 1950s like other suburban courses in Upstate New York.

Also, Battle Island is still in existence.  It is south of Oswego near Fulton, New York (the home base of this new history website, I believe).  From the air, it appears the course has been stripped of bunkers and overgrown by trees.  However, it looks like some cool land features still remain.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 06:13:30 PM by JNC_Lyon »
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 07:26:08 PM »
JNC,
Actually it's not overgrown with houses, just trees. If you go to google earth and plug-in 2682 Aqueduct Rd. Niskayuna NY, you can see the area. You can also make out the swimming pool at the Rec Center. The course was behind(to the east) of that and there is still a huge tract of mostly undeveloped land, over 200 acres. 

George_Bahto

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 10:26:24 PM »
I wish someone would write a bio-book on Emmet!!    a very cool dude, indeed

If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Emmet at Iroquois - and another possible at Mohawk View
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 01:56:09 AM »
Here's an article on the Schalren Country Club (Emmet/Tull) that contains a layout/map of the course. It sat between three roads, Forts Ferry, Mill, and River.  

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Newspapers%20Disk3/Albany%20NY%20Evening%20Journal/Albany%20NY%20Evening%20Journal%201931.pdf/Albany%20NY%20Evening%20Journal%201931%20-%201783.pdf#xml=http://www.fultonhistory.com/dtSearch/dtisapi6.dll?cmd=getpdfhits&u=ffffffff9f1d5db4&DocId=8137874&Index=Z%3a%2fFulton%20Historical&HitCount=4&hits=6d8+6d9+8f5+8f6+&SearchForm=C%3a%5cinetpub%5cwwwroot%5cFulton%5fNew%5fform%2ehtml&.pdf

This map is from the article posted above. The street names are legible and the creek (black twisting line) that flows through the course is a good tool for lining up the map w/the modern aerial. 

....and here is the site at present:

There is an 18 hole executive in the lower section of the photo, but I don't think it was part of the old course (maybe a small part). It seems to be a bit too low for that. Here's another article dealing with the beginnings of the NLE club.

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Newspapers%20Disk3/Albany%20NY%20Evening%20Journal/Albany%20NY%20Evening%20Journal%201930.pdf/Albany%20NY%20Evening%20Journal%201930%20-%202205.pdf#xml=http://www.fultonhistory.com/dtSearch/dtisapi6.dll?cmd=getpdfhits&u=ffffffff9556e814&DocId=8133889&Index=Z%3a%2fFulton%20Historical&HitCount=4&hits=5d+5e+125+126+&SearchForm=C%3a%5cinetpub%5cwwwroot%5cFulton%5fNew%5fform%2ehtml&.pdf
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 11:01:10 AM by Jim_Kennedy »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back