News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Tang

Re: Erin Hills -- this year's model (pictorial essay circa 2010)
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2010, 04:23:59 PM »
Great pictures Phil!

I had the pleasure of playing a round with Mike Wagner at EH early last month.  I must say, EH is vastly improved from what it was when I first saw the layout prior to all the changes.

The removal of many trees has opened up the expansive vistas.  The greens are wild but not out of control.  The bunkering is wonderful. 

As mentioned earlier the course is now walking only.  It is a brutal walk and you'll be tired at the end of the day.  For those who haven't seen the course, or haven't seen it since the alterations have been completed, I say go.

Dan Moore

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2010, 01:13:21 AM »
Played in brisk conditions early today, the last day of the season at Erin Hills.  Short report is that conditions have been vastly improved with the favorable Fall weather.  Fescue fairway conditions were significantly improved and as good as those I saw this year at Kingsley, Sand Hills and Ballyneal.  More to follow.

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

RJ_Daley

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2010, 01:42:37 AM »
Dan, your post points out the real downside of golf in the fall in Wisconsin.  Just when it is getting really good, they close!!! :-[ >:(

One can see the effect of a first few frosts laying down the native to the extent it is much more manageable and one can actually play from it or find balls on it as it is laying down a bit, yet still be a penalty feature.  I playd yesterday in GB  and it was perfect golf weather!  There just ins't anything better in my mind than playing a course after the lines are blown, firming up with just the night dew frost for water, and cool breesy wind.  At Erin Hills they should capitalise and feature ads calling it the 'real Irish Spring' or fall...  ;D

What was your take on the new 10th?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

PCCraig

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2010, 08:53:36 AM »
Dan:

Thanks for the pictures, the course looks like it's in great shape and as RJ points out it looks better because the long rough is laying down.

Hopefully, the course was playing F&F after the dry fall.
H.P.S.

Dan Moore

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2010, 09:41:38 AM »
The fescue was down I think because they have undertaken a massive program to eradicate the invasive grasses and replace them with a wispier variety of fescue.  The thick reed canary grass is almost entirely gone.  They are still in the middle of this program but the improvement in playability and look is significant.  Also improving the overall look of the course is the elimination of many trees.  All of the scruffy hawthornes are gone, vistas between holes have been opened up and some of the vast scale of the property that was previously hidden from view is now there to enjoy.

With respect to #10, it is an improved hole.  It could be improved even more by eliminating the 50+ yard walk to the tee from the 9th green.  Looks like there is an area to build the tee east of the ninth green that would work well. without changing significantly the character of the drive.   

Now a stout par 4 the drive is quite blind up and over the crest of the hill.  Most drives will catch the downslope and feed into a valley leaving an uphill approach.  The green has been perched on a plateau just beyond the sea of bunkers on the right.  The green is fairly shallow with a higher  tier on the right and lower tier on the left.  Bailout area to the left will provide some interest. 

View from tee.

Landing Area

Approach to green.

Green viewed from left, 90 degrees to line of play.
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Phil McDade

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2010, 09:44:44 AM »
What a few months of dry weather can do. :D

Just FYI -- the pictures on the first page of this thread were taken Sept. 1, after a night's worth of rain, and after a near-record wet summer in Wisconsin. Then, on Labor Day, it stopped raining, and really hasn't rained since -- one of the driest falls I can recall. Dan's pictures depict what the course has the potential to look like after a run of dry weather -- hopefully it will be replicated next year for the US Amateur.

Phil McDade

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2011, 09:40:06 PM »
In a move that I think deserves some notice (and applause), the U.S. Amateur being held this year at Erin Hills and Blue Mound G&CC will be free to all spectators, with free parking as well.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/golf/118883419.html

Here's a thread from last year on Blue Mound:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45401.0.html

A very good opportunity to see two of the state's more notable courses, which are quite contrasting examples of golf architecture.

(Note the quote from the competitions director at Erin Hills....the name rings a bell. :D)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back