News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alfonso Erhardt

Hossegor (Colt in France) - Pics
« on: August 30, 2010, 02:34:38 PM »
I recently spent some days with my wife in the Biarritz area and managed to play Chiberta, Hossegor and Le Phare.

Chiberta has already been discussed in another thread by Cristian Willaert (http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41955.0/) so I thought I would add Hossegor to the portfolio of Colt reviews he has kindly contributed to the forum. I will also include some classical images provided by C.Meister, which I only obtained after my visit (unfortunately).

Hossegor was a 1929 design of John Morrison (the club states it was Jim) and no reference to Colt's involvement is given. Colt redesigned Biarritz so I guess he must have shown up at some point in time althogh no credit is given by the club.

I understand that some changes have been made (most notably the par 5, 15th green and I believe bunkering styles) by Cabell Robinson, but I do not know to what extent. Maybe someone knowledgeable may add to the discussion (Stuart?)

I found the course to be extremely flat (except 14 and 15) with many holes looking and playing very similar to each other. None of the intense variety found at Chiberta and certainly none of the dirt moving that has been discussed at other Colt European sites such as St. Germain. This makes the course little dull, in my opinion, especially in the first nine, although the second nine do show some more movement and angles. Length of the par 4 holes is also quite similar (many with 375-400m) with stretches of 3-4 holes playing very similar, which also doesn't help.

Despite some of its weaknesses, I did find that the course was a good test, with many long par 4s and certainly much better than most courses in the area. Although not up to the level of Chiberta from an architectural point, Hossegor is much less crowded and does not have all the road crossings and encroaching housing, which does make for a more pleasant golfing experience, in my view.

1st, par 5, 443

Wide par 5 with bunker at left side of fairway. The green is only protected by a very large bunker that extends 40m into the fairway and another at the back which does not really come into play. Movement in the greens is mostly subtle but ever present throughout the course.

2nd, par 3, 149m

Medium length par 3 with very large green. The bunkers are also large and the "pot-bunker-on-top-of-lower-bunker" is featured in a couple of other holes. I understand that this is part of the "renovations" carried out at the club.

3rd, par 4, 328m

The hole plays parallel to a river, but since its covered with bushes, you have no evidence of balls falling in the water. Interestingly it was not marked with red or white stakes. Again, large bunkers protecting a green that slopes front to back featuring a mound in the middle that sprays balls everywhere.

4th, par 5, 490m

Straightforward par 5 requiring to sort bunkers at both sides of the fairway.

5th par 3, 198m

One of the best holes in the course. Long par 3 with a bunker that plays very short of the green (20-30m) and that confounds the player from the tee. A ball low draw played over the bunker will bounce on a downslope and hit the green. The other alternative is to play a fade to avoid the high trees which do come into play on the right side. Missing to the left will leave your ball in a deep bunker or in the river if pulled further left.

6th, par 4, 413m

Another good hole. A tee shot requiring a strong fade if the green is to be reached in two. Two bunkers on the left side of the fairway prevent hooked balls from running into the forest.

The green shot can be played over the bunker or also to the right of the green, where the a side-down slope will feed balls onto the green.

7th, par 4, 376m

Straight par 4 with no special interest.

8th, par 3, 185m

Long par 3 played to a very large and undulating green with a steep back to front slope. I doubt that the hole was that long years ago as it is quite hard to place the ball accurately to where the pin is playing and 3putts are quite easy to achieve.

9th, par 4, 385m

Another straight par 4, featuring a green with two distinct plateaus, only one of which (right) can be seen from the fairway. The other is hidden by the left greenside bunker.

10th, par 4, 380m

Another straight par 4 (third in a row) with a more attractive green location featuring a hollow fronting the green and bunkers that make the illusion of the green playing shorter than it really does.

From 11th to 14, for some reason, my camera stopped working, so no pictures of any of those.

11th, par 4 375m

Sharp dogleg requiring play over the inside corner, over a bunker (a 200m carry) to place the ball so the green can be reached in 2. The green is in a hollow and blind from the fairway, fronted by a large bunker to the left.

12th, par 5, 435m

Short, reachable par 5 also dogleg left. The green site is very similar to the third, sloping front to back.

13th, par 4, 380m

Slight dogleg left playing over a very large bunker-waste area that looks like a remnant of what the course was in it early days. Full of sand....Green sloping back to front with bunkers on both sides.

14th, par 3, 152m

This is a very nice par 3, playing uphill to to a green that sits in a hollow. The green slopes very strongly back to front and balls over the pin are very hard to stop.

The only remaining bunker plays short of the green and not fully embracing it, as the old photo shows. A real pity, as today, tee shots can be played to the banks of the green and will bounce onto the putting surface making it substantially less interesting than in the past.

15th, par 5, 445m

After a hike up the only hill in the property, we have to play a blind drive to a downsloping fairway which also doglegs left. Not very difficult if you know where to hit and have confidence on the direction pole that looks waaay left from the teeing area. The fairway is tilted right to left, so it also helps funnel balls onto the middle of the fairway.

If we find the fairway, we have a long shot with a downslope stance to a very narrow, elevated green protected by bunkers on both sides. The ditch that the old photos show is no longer there.

I would say almost impossible to hit and stop in 2,  although there is plenty of room to the right of the green to lay up and run the ball up to the green. Photos clearly show that his has been altered, with no option of playing an aggressive shot to the green

A fantastic hole nonetheless and the only one with some slope in the most flat golf property I have ever seen!!!!!

16th, par 4 376m

Very narrow tee shot, again dogleg left. Must be played right of the bunker (which sits at 200-220m) to get best shot at green. The green slopes heavily from left to right and back to front and the left side bunker sits well short of the green, as many others do at Hossegor.

17th, par 3 173m

Again a par 3 of similar length to the prior ones, with a flattish green and asking for a fade.

18th, par 4, 323m

Nice short par 4 to finish. Drive plays to a narrow fairway lined with bunkers to the right and trees to the left. A pulled ball will result in a couple of trees blocking the shot to the green.

The green is protected by large, deep bunkers. The front bunker, again, plays much shorter than it seems with space to land the ball between it and the green. Balls missed to the left have tough recovery due to tilt of green towards the bunkers.

The green is one of the best in the course with a couple of very large swales that move balls around and that allow to play the ball safely away from the bunkers if one knows the contours in advance (which I didn't!).

The clubhouse is the original one, and we did not get to eat more than a sandwich, as the kitchen closed at 3pm (were are not used to this in Spain!!!!!!!!). Some nice old pictures of the course hang in the men's locker room, but the club does not to be very much into its own history, which is a shame.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 04:49:02 PM by Alfonso Erhardt »

Bart Bradley

Re: Hossegor (Colt in France) - Pics
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 07:02:36 PM »
Alfonso:

Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together.  Nice job.  The pictures make it look pleasant, but unspectacular.

Bart

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 01:21:32 AM »
Alfonso,

Ya, some good stuff and thanks for sharing.  I especially appreciate the before and after pics to show how things have evolved.

I find the bunker shaping somewhat different (as in less bold?) from other Colt courses profiled.  Somewhat understated here.

I was there at Hossegor in 1990, but ... for the waves.  One of the best spots in Europe.  Not to mention the eye popping  :o beaches there.  Fond memories...

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 02:44:49 AM »
Patrick,

As for the fantastic beach, the waves are still there. We went after we played and it was packed with kitesurfers.

As for the course, I agree that the bunker shaping is very "soft".  The shape of the bunkers is also quite modern in many of the holes and I would like to know how much renovation work has changed the look of the course.

My other doubt is how heavy was Colt's involvement or supervision of Morrison's work compared to other courses elsewhere in Europe.

Regards,

Cristian

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 05:14:44 AM »

Afonso,

Thanks for the pictures! I played here some 11-12 years ago and I remember how impressed I was with the charming looks of the course. The par 3 14th was my favourite hole. Unbelievable how the course has changed from the old pictures.

When I played I noticed the flat ground and it struck me in particular how fairway and green would on most holes be on the same level with only the height of the cut of the grass distinguishing between the two.

Although the courses all have setbacks at Biarritz, it is a great old world style place to go and play, isn't it?

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 06:09:36 AM »
Cristian,

I do think that the Biarritz area is a fantastic destination to combine pretty good golf with outstanding food. The beaches are also fine and the towns are very nice, especially the inland ones, which are less touristy.

The course is indeed like a garden, with lots of flower beds everywhere. My wife loved it.

Regards,

Alfonso

Paul_Turner

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 10:08:41 AM »
Alfonso

Very good thanks.  It looks much better in the old photos, so much more width and obviously more rugged.

I'm not sure about Colt's involvement,  I know he was traveling down south to Pedrena at a similar time.    I always thought it funny that the club had JIM Morrison as the designer!

Also I'm not sure about the Cabell Robinson recent redo work....the par 3 8th looks new?  And as you state, the 15th green is different.

Confirmed that he changed the 15th:

http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/productdetails.asp?id=605

The old green looked pretty good!  Heavily canted and some contour.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:16:35 AM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 12:43:42 PM »
Paul,

If you don't know about Colt's involvement, then I guess we won't find out!!!

Although tree growth has made the course narrower than the old pictures show, it is still reasonably wide, allowing many options from the tee on most holes.

About the C. Robinson work, I looked in Google Earth where you can compare older pictures (5-6 years) and bunkering has changed in a few holes, 2 and 8 indeed, as well as 15. Mostly finishing and size of bunkers.

Stuart Hallett

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 02:38:12 PM »
Alfonso,

As you know, I live not too far away. However, I don't play there too often, especially in July & August due to the crowds of tourists.

I find it a very pleasant & understated classic course. Understated courses can be considered as dull for many, I personally like having to discover the subtle details over the space of time.

Concerning the changes, I was less enthusiastic about the bunkering and especially the 15th green. IMO, the new green would fit very well on a newer layout, but not at Hossegor. Again, IMO, the bunkering is out of scale, vast, sprawling and just not what I would expect. The new bunkers look similar to some at Moliets, a RTJ course. Some older bunkers still exist and look pretty good in my eyes. I noticed the maintenance guys edging bunkers with spades !! No wonder they look big.   

I know they added tees some time ago, hence the long & tough par 4's. Why not !

I will ask, but as far as I know, Colt had no involvement.

Regards

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 08:45:34 AM »
Stuart,

We played in August and altough busy, we did not feel it crowded. We managed to play 18 in 3.30, which I find reasonable in France and at that time of the season.

I agree with you on the bunkers and the 15th definitely looks better in older pictures than it does now. I guess they need your input to restore the course to a more "Colt, Alison & Morrison" look!!!!!!!

Regards,

Alfonso

Christoph Meister

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 05:51:32 AM »
Hello Alfonso,

thank you for your most interesting post! - I played Hossegor several times in the mid 1990s ago and I really liked the course, maybe a little dull on my first round but if I remember correctly I liked the course more after playing it several times - coming from Northern Germany I was used to playing on flat golf courses anyway, we have got plenty of that here!

I'll have to check if I have some photos from the 1990s, in the meantime let me just add this postcard showing green no.11 - I suppose you do not have a modern photo of that?

Greetings

Christoph

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 05:56:23 AM by Christoph Meister »
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Christoph Meister

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 05:57:37 AM »
here the postcard of green no.11....
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Tom MacWood

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 06:46:08 AM »
Excellent photos. Is John Morrison given a little more credit for this course?

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 08:28:18 AM »
Tom,

John Morrison is given full credit for the course. The question is how much involvement Colt had in it. I haven't heard of many courses in which Morrison is mentioned but not Colt - at least in 1930.

Christoph,

I cannot see the photo, but I know which one it is. In reality it is not hole 11, but hole 18 (11 does not play close to the clubhouse).
You can check for some more historical pictures in the club's historical section of the website (http://www.golfhossegor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=3). In any event, I have no photos of 11.

Regards,

Alfonso

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back