News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Johnston

Re: DISMAL RIVER GOLF CLUB
« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2010, 11:17:26 AM »
Change of subject Chris,

I don't know much about Project X shafts. However, I have played with two people recently that had them in their clubs. What struck me is that the logo was on the bottom of the shaft instead of the top like you see in most clubs. Were these two golfers ashamed of their shafts and trying to hide the logo?  ;D Or, are Project X shafts welded on the side that has the logo so that is the proper way to install the shaft?

Why the hijack? This has been a very, very interesting thread. from the peanut gallery, please keep it on track.

I'm off to walk the unwalkable right now with the Dismal Dogs.  If I don't survive, tell my wife and family I love them!   

The shaft question was due to my former involvement with Royal Precision.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #176 on: September 04, 2010, 04:18:19 PM »
Change of subject Chris,

I don't know much about Project X shafts. However, I have played with two people recently that had them in their clubs. What struck me is that the logo was on the bottom of the shaft instead of the top like you see in most clubs. Were these two golfers ashamed of their shafts and trying to hide the logo?  ;D Or, are Project X shafts welded on the side that has the logo so that is the proper way to install the shaft?

Why the hijack? This has been a very, very interesting thread. from the peanut gallery, please keep it on track.

I'm off to walk the unwalkable right now with the Dismal Dogs.  If I don't survive, tell my wife and family I love them!   

The shaft question was due to my former involvement with Royal Precision.

Just returned from a spectacular day, mid 80's, not a wisp of wind.  Walked (carried) all 18 holes.  Peaceful and quiet...a monastery?  Saw a jackrabbit the size of a small child.  Shot 74.  Played the same ball all day. 

Like our neighbor, it's a trudge but well worth the effort.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #177 on: September 04, 2010, 08:33:12 PM »
Did you wear a pedometer? Interested to know total distance so I can make sure walkability rating is accurate on TWG.

Even ballpark would be helpful if you can.

Thanks

Chris Johnston

« Reply #178 on: September 04, 2010, 10:30:50 PM »
Did you wear a pedometer? Interested to know total distance so I can make sure walkability rating is accurate on TWG.

Even ballpark would be helpful if you can.

Thanks

Rob

I played 6,800 yards today and the tees are close to the greens here at Dismal - no long walks except 18 tee up the hill.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #179 on: September 05, 2010, 09:33:18 AM »
Garland et al,  I recall Jack being quoted prior to the original opening making a comment about how players enjoy getting beat up. The current course proves that that comment was horribly flawed. DR is now not only fun to play but also a fine examination of shot making skills both aerial and lower trajectory. There's no question the setting is peaceful and for many spiritual. Its most endearing quality I felt was how it repeatedly tempts the heroic.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Scott Szabo

« Reply #180 on: September 05, 2010, 11:11:07 AM »
Chris,

Thanks for the input - I've always marveled at Dismal River from its inception and it's nice to see many positive comments from those who have been fortunate enough to visit.  The sand hills are a special place, aren't they?
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Chris Johnston

« Reply #181 on: September 05, 2010, 12:51:02 PM »
Garland et al,  I recall Jack being quoted prior to the original opening making a comment about how players enjoy getting beat up. The current course proves that that comment was horribly flawed. DR is now not only fun to play but also a fine examination of shot making skills both aerial and lower trajectory. There's no question the setting is peaceful and for many spiritual. Its most endearing quality I felt was how it repeatedly tempts the heroic.

Well said, Adam!  The course certainly does tempt the heroic!  Hope to see you soon.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #182 on: September 05, 2010, 12:52:50 PM »
Chris,

Thanks for the input - I've always marveled at Dismal River from its inception and it's nice to see many positive comments from those who have been fortunate enough to visit.  The sand hills are a special place, aren't they?

Thanks, Scott!  The Sand Hills are truly special, even for the doubters.  Thanks to all for a warm welcome.  When are you coming back out?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #183 on: September 05, 2010, 01:19:48 PM »
Chris, what is your target date for closing this fall? 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #184 on: September 05, 2010, 02:14:10 PM »
Chris, what is your target date for closing this fall? 

Closing 1st Sunday in October.  You coming out this way?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #185 on: September 05, 2010, 02:18:09 PM »
I'm mulling that over as we type... ;D 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #186 on: September 05, 2010, 02:50:23 PM »
I'm mulling that over as we type... ;D 

Come on out!  We love those who appreciate the game.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #187 on: September 05, 2010, 06:18:18 PM »
Chris, Any chance you would consider keeping the flags in, the course open, but without the facilities open? So, just in case the weather holds through October, people could still come out to play? I realize staffing and other considerations go into making the closing date, but it seems a shame to not have the course open for day trips, from some of your members. (or enthusiasts )  ;)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Chris Johnston

« Reply #188 on: September 05, 2010, 06:45:43 PM »
Chris, Any chance you would consider keeping the flags in, the course open, but without the facilities open? So, just in case the weather holds through October, people could still come out to play? I realize staffing and other considerations go into making the closing date, but it seems a shame to not have the course open for day trips, from some of your members. (or enthusiasts )  ;)

Adam - we will commence on some construction in early October but the irrigation will stay on into November.  She may be shaggy bit a select few can still play it before we put her to bed.  I just played 9 with JC!

If you can get up before then, just give me a call.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back