News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ivan Lipko

A few pictures of two GREAT course from my recent UK trip
« on: September 05, 2010, 08:20:10 AM »
Hello!
I have just returned from my trip to the UK where I have had a great chance to play on two outstanding courses which I thoroughly enjoyed. While I am not the greatest GCA analyzer the majesty of these is obvious even for me. Enough words, let me just show you my favorite pics.

Sunningdale Old golf course. No.24 in the World according to the top100golfcourses.co.uk Definitely an eye candy and also very strategic with lots of diversity between the holes and lots of different shots needed to be executed in order to play it properly.

Sunrise over the 18th green.

This picture captures the beautiful, rugged and unspoiled nature of the course the most.

A heather covered dune guards the approach to the 1st green.

Perfect strategy off the 5th tee.

Aesthetic pleasure of the 6th.

This green complex looks so nice to me.

As does this one.

These two greens (7th and 12th) are set up in the most bautiful way.

Some serious bunkering over at the 16th.

Ivan Lipko

Re: A few pictures of two GREAT course from my recent UK trip
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 08:26:23 AM »
The other course is the Royal St.George's.

Not that many good photos, but here are some anyways.

The huge bunker at the 4th.

A couple more bunker shots showing what the course is all about.

The unspoiled links beauty of the 5th hole.

And the approach shot on that same hole.

All in all the RSG is a classic, firm and fast track which is long and tough and also fair and pure.

Highly recommended.

Hope you enjoyed the photos.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 10:14:22 AM »
Beautiful photos Ivan! 

A pleasure to view them!

Thanks,

Tom
the pres

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 10:53:18 AM »
Ivan:

I haven't played either of those courses in a long time.  Thanks for the pics.

It is a bit hard to tell in your photo of #5 at Sunningdale because of the lighting, but up near the green I can see a pronounced curve to the left side of the fairway ... it looks to me like they have narrowed the fairways by 10-20% since I remember the place.  On #5 in particular, you could take it right down the tree line on the left hand side to get a better angle to the green, if you were comfortable playing right along the trees like that.  Is that now rough?

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 11:11:13 AM »
Wonderful photos Ivan. Is it possible that they point out how on a few holes that a chainsaw may be in order?

Ivan Lipko

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 11:23:29 AM »
Tom this was the first time I played the course, so I can't really comment how it changed in the time, but I am pretty sure that is rough on the far left side of the 5th now.

Philip
I didn't feel like the course was really tight or was in need of a chainsaw, - plenty of room off the tee and never was a green closed with an overhanging tree.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 12:23:03 PM »
Ivan,

Take a look at the long shadows the trees cast out onto the fairway and putting surfaces. My comment wasn't refering to an impact of play issue, although I do think that ion one or two of your photos the fairway line us very close to the trees, but rather to one of a potential turf health issue. The sun is the friend of the grass...

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 12:50:49 PM »
Ivan - you really must play better courses on your UK visits!! A day at Sunningdale and Sandwich really is the best of English golf.

Cave Nil Vino

Ivan Lipko

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 12:57:02 PM »
Ivan,

Take a look at the long shadows the trees cast out onto the fairway and putting surfaces. My comment wasn't refering to an impact of play issue, although I do think that ion one or two of your photos the fairway line us very close to the trees, but rather to one of a potential turf health issue. The sun is the friend of the grass...

Hmmm, interesting, never really thought of it. And I think you are probably right.

Mark, yeah, those two were sooo lovely. I think there is only one course in England that is ranked higher - Royal Birkdale. Can't wait to play there on my next visit.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 01:42:24 PM »
Ivan - I played Royal Birkdale in a match last year but Sandwich beats it hands down for interest. RB has some fine dunes but most of the fairways are flat and weave through the dunes. I can see why it's popular with the pros but as a links course player I prefer more undulation in my fairways. You will enjoy it but RStG is the type of course that is unlikely to be built in the future.

I agree that trees are not an issue at Sunningdale, they perfectly frame the holes but do not adversely affect play and I'm unaware of greenkeeping problems.
Cave Nil Vino

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 03:03:56 PM »
Ivan -

Thanks for the wonderful photos. Sunningdale Old when the heather is in bloom is hard to beat.

I was fortunate enough to play both Sunningdale Old & New in one day (that I still remember well) in 1984.

DT

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 08:00:28 PM »
Ivan

Interesting contrast in probably England's two finest links and heathland layouts - which did you prefer ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back