News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Harris

What course/links is Chamber Bay most like ?
« on: September 05, 2010, 02:16:23 AM »
I know Chambers bay is a completely manufactured links and I was wondering if the architects had a specific links in mind when designing the course ?

Not having played any links courses in Scotland but having played most in Ireland and a few in England I would guess that some design influence was borrowed from County Sligo golf club in the Northwest of Ireland.

Rosses Point has a similar high point on the golf course where one can look down to the holes below out towards the ocean similar to Chambers Bay(out to Puget Sound). County Sligo also has a mixture of uphill/downhill par 4's and some par 3's with elevated tees like Chambers but less intimidating. Also the middle holes on both courses are fairly flat with not a lot of tall sand dunes surrounding the greens. Chambers like Rosses Point has a few holes with tall sand dunes but they are not present on every hole like Carne or Rosapenna. Both Courses seem to have graduated rough just off the fairways - sure both courses have some nasty deep fescue in spots the farther away from the fairways you are but the courses do seem playable if your shot has just missed the fairway.

I guess the biggest difference between the two courses would be bunkering as Chambers has many waste hazards/bunkers and County Sligo has fewer small bunkers overall.

anyone else have any opinions ?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 02:21:18 AM by Ted Harris »

Tom_Doak

Re: What course/links is Chamber Bay most like ?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 12:06:47 PM »
I thought they borrowed a couple of things from Bandon Dunes.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 12:18:37 PM »
I've played Arcadia Bluffs, Whistling Sraits, and Kiawah TOC, along with some of the inland sand hill courses.  I can see elements of each in Chambers.  I think it is of a modern interpretation genre of duneslike or faux dunesland courses, but is uniquely its own.  The design in my mind really shines its own light upon itself for the wide short cuts of fescue surrounding the greens, with spines and hollows running from outside the surrounds and tied right into the greens, for maximum ground play and fun factor. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 03:50:29 PM »
I"ll suggest Spanish Bay which is also a RTJ2 course in collaberation with other people.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 06:12:44 PM »
Bayonne came to mind. 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 06:19:53 PM »
Little bits of Ballyneal, Sagebrush, Bandon Trails, with some Engh.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back