News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil_the_Author

Whistling Straights and the 2020 Ryder Cup
« on: August 17, 2010, 11:55:25 AM »
Though it is 10 years distant, I think one thing that the course proved was that it is a great course for match play. What think you?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 04:34:59 PM by Philip Young »

Phil McDade

Re: Whistling Straights and the 2020 Ryder Cup
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 12:05:21 PM »
I'll surprise everyone on board by saying -- yes, I think it's a great match-play course. It's a course with several holes that are tough birdie/easy par and tough par/easy bogey. In other words, several half-par holes, which I think makes for very good match play conditions.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
Its a Yes from me too.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 02:36:37 PM »
I'll surprise everyone on board by saying -- yes, I think it's a great match-play course. It's a course with several holes that are tough birdie/easy par and tough par/easy bogey. In other words, several half-par holes, which I think makes for very good match play conditions.

Phil

We're agreed on what makes a good match play course. I wonder though what 10 years of improvements in technology will do to some of those half par holes. Will it make a lot of those holes more straightforward ?

Niall

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 02:50:59 PM »
As much as I really dont like the course...the answer would still be a yes.....

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 03:12:53 PM »
Niall,

Thats a good question. It certainly should be a consideration with the PGA of America as they have been talking with at least one well-known club about their hosting in 2024.

Phil

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 03:54:08 PM »
It can't be any worse than the majority of the recent Euro venues whose owners essentially buy the event!
H.P.S.

Phil McDade

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 04:44:07 PM »

Phil

We're agreed on what makes a good match play course. I wonder though what 10 years of improvements in technology will do to some of those half par holes. Will it make a lot of those holes more straightforward ?

Niall

Niall:

My initial thought is that Dye built WStraits with a lot of elasticity -- there is a fair amount of room out there to move tees back, if that's the case with technology in 10 years. On the other hand, part of the appeal of the place for match-play is that elasticity goes both forward and back -- there are several "up" tees that are tempting, as was seen during the recent PGA, with results on the par 4 #6, e.g., ranging from eagle to double bogeys.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 07:31:29 PM »
Well, on your third playoff hole in what is essentially a match-play situation, bogey beats a double-bogey to win the PGA.

So #18 certainly works, warts and all.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back