News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall Hay

Re: Monterey Golf
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2010, 04:09:43 PM »
The Preserve Golf Club, I know not on the Peninsula, but how does it compare architecturally? Worthwhile to make the trip over some of the others on the Peninsula? Over any of these 5? Point, Pebble Beach, Monterey Peninsula (Shores), Spyglass Hill , Monterey Peninsula (Dunes), Links at Spanish Bay.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2010, 04:25:14 PM »
Thanks Tim. Where is Asilomar? Also are these casual or formal?

Right next to Pacific Grove(probably technically in Pacific Grove) on Hwy 68 near Spanish Bay and the back gate to the 17 mile drive.
In Cali almost everything is casual!
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2010, 07:49:05 PM »
[So Kevin, is this your final order? Cypress Point, Pebble Beach, Monterey Peninsula (Shores), Spyglass Hill , Monterey Peninsula (Dunes), Links at Spanish Bay for a top 5 in order or prioritizing play? Cost and access aside? This seems to be the consensus on this site.

Nial

You've mentioned six courses  :) but the first five are my Top5 (noting I haven't seen all in the Monterey region).

With regard to you cuisine questions - others more versed in the area would be best re: this.

William_G

« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2010, 11:34:23 PM »
@ Richard Choi...should definitely consider Cordevalle and Bayonet

Monterey golf is great, Cypress is exclusive and beyond #15 and 16 there is a whole real golf course that is incredibly laid out, with the 18th kind of an anti-climax, not the cescendo you would get if the course was laid out today, that's what she said. Pebble is now more in your face, big money...used to be 25 bucks back in the 70's...more like a great location with golf, spa, tennis, love it particularly since Nicklaus redid #5 on the ocean with the help of Schwab buying the old land that 5 was on, LOL, don't know of any better stretch of holes than 4-10... then back at you with 17 and 18.... fun but still a resort etc!...MPCC is impreesive and its new clubhouse is incredible, the redesign by Stranz is good, but the Dunes is still classic...got to love Spyglass, the first four holes are timeless, then its just tough after that, stay out of the woods!...Pacific Grove is a great value, the back nine is fun while the front nine is typical, muni, pedestrian...Spanish Bay was a surprise in that it di not meet the expectation of a Watson design, good location with bagpipes from the hotel, but not quite there with the blind shots and strange hole designs...The Monterey Bay Aquarium is great and should not be missed, also cruise up Carmel Valley Road to Bernardus Lodge for some incredible wine, food and accomodations...oh and don'y forget the par-3 Peter Hay at Pebble, Thanks ;D Hey whatever course I'm playing at the present is better than not playing at all.
It's all about the golf!

Niall Hay

« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2010, 09:55:21 AM »
Great stuff William.....CordeValle is really nice as well. As is Pasatiempo....

William_G

« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2010, 10:30:37 AM »
Yes Niall, forgot mention Pasatiempo, its one of thioe courses that has you at the first hole.  :) Tom Doak did a great job restoring the course.
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back