News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JR Potts

PGA Championship - Is anyone going?
« on: August 11, 2010, 11:41:26 AM »
I live in Chicago and hang around with a pretty involved golf crew - that said, I don't know one person that is going up to Kohler for the PGA Championship....and that doesn't seem to me to be a good sign.

Does anyone know the expected turn-out?

What was the attendance at the practice rounds?

Brad Swanson

Re: PGA Championship - Is anyone going?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 11:44:27 AM »
A co-worker is traveling from Madison with a group to attend on Thursday.  I am passing.  Triple digit day passes are too spendy for me.

Brad

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 12:15:53 PM »
I know a couple people from work that are going. Can't say I know many golfers heading up from the Chicago to be a spectator.

With the Air & Water show going on downtown (and it potentially taking me an hour just to get to the highway), the 2.5hr drive up to Kohler (or technically Haven), and the logistics of actually parking and getting onto the course...it would be a nightmare for me.
H.P.S.

Phil McDade

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 12:23:19 PM »
Ryan:

Here's a report from the local paper:

http://www.sheboyganpress.com/article/20100809/SHE0101/8090384/Ready-to-go

My sense is that attendance will be solid, but not at the level of '04, when the PGA said something like 300,000 visited the course during practice and the tournament. It's hard to imagine what the excitement was like in Wisconsin six years ago, because the state had never hosted a post-WWII major, and its regular tour stop in Milwaukee had rarely seen the likes of Tiger, Phil, Ernie and others.

That, and the general state of the economy around here (not nearly what it was back in '04) makes me think attendance will be down. Good, but not great.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 12:40:53 PM »
I plan to be there tomorrow afternoon, until the end of competition.  Playing Lawsonia early AM.

If anyone wants to catch a late afternoon brewski, maybe we could meet at one of the concession stands seating areas.  But, since you can't have cell phones, we need a way to I.D. eachother... no, I won't wear a cheesehead...  ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Ken Fry

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 12:43:56 PM »
I will be up there for Saturday's round with my wife and two oldest daughters.  If anyone is interested, I have 2 passes for Saturday available.  Drop- me an e-mail or IM if interested.

Ken

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 06:32:51 PM »
I'm here all week.  IM me for my digits.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back