News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Re: Worplesdon - a heap more pics added
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 08:40:05 AM »
Chatting to Tony Muldoon the other day, he said it was documented that the 4th at Worplesdon was supposedly an "Eden".

Surely not? Does anyone know anything about that or have it in a book?

Does anyone see an Eden in that hole?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 08:48:48 AM »
Gareth, the shots I am referring to were being fired adjacent to the 14th hole.

Ah, that will be the Grouse moor next door then............
Can't have been shooting grouse on 8 August, though, can they?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2010, 08:50:14 AM »
Chris Lomas, who for some years had been head greenkeeper at the Berkshire took over as secretary/manager at Worplesdon last month. Chris loves heather, and anyone who's been to the Berkshire will know how he likes to present a golf course. He might be in the office at Worplesdon rather than the greenkeeper's shed, but I'd be prepared to bet there'll be a lot more heather there in a couple of years.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Gareth Williams

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 03:16:24 PM »
Chris Lomas, who for some years had been head greenkeeper at the Berkshire took over as secretary/manager at Worplesdon last month. Chris loves heather, and anyone who's been to the Berkshire will know how he likes to present a golf course. He might be in the office at Worplesdon rather than the greenkeeper's shed, but I'd be prepared to bet there'll be a lot more heather there in a couple of years.

Well that's good news as the previous Secretary was an arse.... :-X

Cristian

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010, 08:47:04 AM »
Scott,

Thanks for another great picture thread; one more on the must play list...

JNC Lyon

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2010, 11:55:07 AM »
After some careful consideration, I feel I need to weigh in on this thread.

Worplesdon is a really, really good heathland course.  I was very surprised at how good it is considering I had never heard of it before getting to England.  I was lucky enough to play the course twice during my stay in London, and the course definitely got better the second time around.

The road crossing is totally worth the danger to get to the dynamite holes at 11-14.  Everyone here seems to appreciate 11-13 greatly, as they should.  I think 14 is a more subtle hole that is equally deserving of praise.  I love how this hole uses the left-to right land perfectly on the tee shot.  This slope forces the player to choose between the two sides of the fairway, both of which offer benefits and costs.  The left side certainly presents the better angle into the green, but it requires the golfer to flirt with the left-hand fairway bunkers and, more importantly, usually leaves the golfer with a hanging lie.  The right side will leave an awkward angle, but the fairway levels on the right to leave a golfer with a flat lie into the green.  I prefer the right side of the fairway, but others might disagree.  That is the beauty of the hole!  It is my favorite type of hole: it gives the player multiple options because of its width and its use of the natural terrain.

Additionally, Mr. Warren and co. seem to ignore the merits of the 10th.  Sure, the water hazard is a bit out of place, but the pond does not affect the dominant strategy of the hole.  Appearances aside, the 10th is my favorite type of short par three: it presents, at first glance, an easy target in a big green.  However, three tiers and a centerline ridge divide the green into six sections.  This layout means that the hole actually requires a very precise shot if the player wishes to score well.  The 10th might not be all-world, but it is one of my favorite short threes.

As good as the 10-14 stretch is at Worplesdon, 3-7 is nearly its equal.  The centerline bunker at 3 is simple yet brilliant.  The 4th is a very cool and diabolical uphill par three, where any miss left runs 50 yards away from the green.  The fifth has a great diagonal tee shot over a field over heather and a phenomenal green, and it might be my favorite on the course.  6's fall-away green is stunning and very severe--the back bunkers actually provide the best place to miss!  The 7th is a very tough uphill par three with a cool green.  I suppose I could rave about nearly every hole at Worpie like this, but you all get the picture.

As much as I like Worplesdon, I don't think it is quite up to the standard of a course like Woking.  Woking greens are completely unique, and Worplesdon doesn't quite have that unique element to it.  Overall, though, Worplesdon is definitely worth seeing on a UK trip.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back