News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Bert

Re: 16th at Pac Dunes
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 12:53:17 PM »
#16 at PD on the other hand... now that one is in my head and has played the round wrecker on numerous occasions.  A round at Pacific Dunes doesn't go by when I am not thinking about #16 and #18 and what I've got to do there very early in the round.  It's my own personal version of TPC at Sawgrass #17.

Tiiimmmmmmm Beerrrrrrrtttttttt! 

I've been giddy with anticipation for the Bandon trip next spring, knowing that my maiden voyage around the great Pacific Dunes will be in the company of the original Tribute Thread author :)...now you've gone and put me in defense mode in regards to the 16th hole!  Going to go look for that thread to learn a bit more about this second shot and green. 

Eric - You are in for a treat.  I'd love to get some of that Holston mojo from you during the round.

I can pretty much guarantee my card will look almost exactly like this.  I may have some of the holes not exactly right, but most will be close.

5, 6, 6, 5, 4, 5, 5, 5, 4 = 45 on the front nine
3, 3, 6, 5, 4, 5, 7, 4, 8 = 45 on the back nine

I might shoot two strokes higher, but I can promise two things... 

1) Going into hole #16, I will have a shot to play bogey or better golf to break 90 and
2) I won't do it

Eric Smith

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 01:18:46 PM »

Eric - You are in for a treat.  I'd love to get some of that Holston mojo from you during the round.

I can pretty much guarantee my card will look almost exactly like this.  I may have some of the holes not exactly right, but most will be close.

5, 6, 6, 5, 4, 5, 5, 5, 4 = 45 on the front nine
3, 3, 6, 5, 4, 5, 7, 4, 8 = 45 on the back nine

I might shoot two strokes higher, but I can promise two things...  

1) Going into hole #16, I will have a shot to play bogey or better golf to break 90 and
2) I won't do it

That's weird, I don't see any 2's on that card.  Can't be yours...can it? ;D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:22:48 PM by Eric Smith »

Michael Dugger

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 01:24:26 PM »
Rob,

Why not #12 as the weakest hole on the course?  Seems quite benign and devoid of tremendous intrigue, IMHO.

A nice breather hole....but lacking in interest.....compared to the other 17 holes...
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Robert Emmons

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2010, 02:30:25 PM »
I really enjoy the 16th at Pacific. The fairway is wonderful and reminds me of Highland Links. Love a short par 4 where the scratch golfer thinks it is unfair because of the quirk...RHE

Jud_T

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2010, 02:38:32 PM »
I have no issue with PD 16.  I thought BT 14 was OTT....
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:45:25 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Rob Rigg

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2010, 07:57:22 PM »
Rob,

Why not #12 as the weakest hole on the course?  Seems quite benign and devoid of tremendous intrigue, IMHO.

A nice breather hole....but lacking in interest.....compared to the other 17 holes...

Michael,

I think that is a very reasonable argument for #12 being the weakest hole and I have definitely heard it from a few people.

I kind of like the 12th because it is a "hope" hole where you have a good chance of getting a shot back - but that is not always the case - it plays tougher than it looks on paper, especially into a strong summer wind. I also like the green complex because it is unique - just benched against the dune in a little cove, a brief respite from the wind before walking over to #13 where you stand there in awe while putting the boxing gloves on because an epic battle is about to take place (at least into the summer wind - during the winter it can be driver/wedge). Finally, I really enjoy a hole where you can play putter from 150 yards out and #12 fits the bill - some personal bias there.

Obviously we all have our own opinions (which is a very good thing) and I know that down at Bandon my opinion on some holes (or even courses) changes from experience to experience. That is what makes the resort so special - it is about as far from a one trick pony as possible.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back