News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Re: Heartbreak at Wolf Point
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2016, 04:35:35 PM »
Don,  Condolences to you, Mike, staff and family of Mr. Stanger. 
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2016, 04:47:55 PM »
Don,

it is always hard to lose someone special such a Mr. Stange. The pain of their loss is a counter balance to the joys brought by them during in life.

Jon

Ian Andrew

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2016, 08:39:18 PM »
Al looked at me with his twinkling blue eyes and said, "I really don't care how good the course is; I'm just thankful you brought Don into my life."

Thanks for introducing me to Al when you had the chance.
It was nice to say thank you in person.

I'm sad to hear the news ... for all of you.
-

mike_beene

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2016, 12:20:36 AM »
Sorry to hear this. I thought of you guys without really knowing you a few weeks ago when I had to take a deposition in the Brazoria state prison. I thought about calling and running over to see the place but decided I wouldn't make my flight. Wish I had tried to visit now.

George Pazin

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2016, 03:40:03 PM »
So sorry for your loss. Nothing harder than losing a loved one.

Wonderful stories and a great pic, please keep us updated on the scholarship fund.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2016, 12:10:29 PM »
A friend at Boston Golf Club who is an architecture aficionado told me the sad news this past Sunday.
My very best to the Stanger family, and to Don and Mike who provided me one of the greatest golf experiences of my life, an awesomely fun day at Wolf Point in  December 2012.
 Wolf Point  etched into my memory on that gray, windy, day playing with Don, Mike, Paul Jones, Lynn Shackelford, and several others in an alternate shot competition.
Though Mike Nuzzo's excellent photos at his website convey something of the course, you have to experience its strategy, behold its beauty, and enjoy the intelligence of this great design personally in order to get a grip on what a unique and precious thing the Stanger's nurtured.  I've been lucky enough to play a number of the world's great courses. Wolf Point has some of the best conceived holes on the planet. The third hole is one of golf's great par 5's if the hole is subject to wind, as you must pick your route and have multiple options on the drive and 2nd shot. 5 is the only non tidal Par 4 I know of that is designed to handle annual flooding; most design teams would have spent a fortune on a levee or dike, not Mike and Don. 6 is an out of this world semi redan style Par 3 that ingeniously employs ground slope and a natural jog in the river bend, a gorgeous and dangerous  creation;  8 and 18, share an enormous Biarritz green. Not to dismiss 10 through 13, as there are no indifferent holes at WP, but the way the course concludes is absolute brilliance and beauty. 14, a par 5 with  trees in the fairway, perfect obstruction on the 2nd shot, requiring a heroic carry to get home in two, if you dare;  15, another Biarritz or double plateau  influenced ground level green; 16 a medium length par 4 that is alluring and looks so simple until you discover the danger of the river to the left and one little tiny bunker right of the green; 17 a super strategic long 4 with bunkers and the river requiring careful negotiation; and 18 back to the huge Biarritz, a hole for concluding a tight match where both long and short player are in the game to the end.
God bless you, Mr. and Mrs. Stanger. Your vision and confidence created one of golfs greatest architectural achievements. Wolf Point is part of golf history, an educational and artistic legacy.  I pray it will endure. 

Michael George

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2016, 03:12:12 PM »

I remarked to Al how great everything was at the course.
Al looked at me with his twinkling blue eyes and said, "I really don't care how good the course is; I'm just thankful you brought Don into my life."

Mike - thank you for sharing this quick story.  It is a great tribute to show the character and values of this man. 

While I have never played Wolf Point, I have great respect for this man solely from this one story. 

May he rest in peace and may God comfort his family and friends.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Matt Schiffer

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2016, 03:38:48 PM »
So sorry to hear this!  Don, my day with you at Wolf Point would have been memorable regardless but it was all the more so for having briefly met Al.  You'd never know he owned the place! 
Providing freelance design, production and engineering for GCAs around the world! http://greengrassengineering.com/landing/

Nick Church

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2018, 02:45:02 PM »
One of the most interesting golf stories I've read, here or elsewhere.  For some time, I've wondered about the backstory of Wolf Point and its owner.  I finally stumbled across Mr. Stanger's name upon reading Tony Dear's feature on Mr. Nuzzo.

Thank you very much for sharing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back