News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pat Burke

Re: If Michelle Wie Wins In The Forest and No One Hears It
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 02:40:57 PM »
Is the Women's Canadian Open a "major" for the women?

By my count she has won two events in 5+ years of being in the media spotlight for being "the female Tiger Woods"...not a great career so far for someone who had so much potential. But, good to see she's starting to learn how to win. Perhaps the next big OT thread will be started when she wins the Women's U.S. Open.

In fairness, the "real" Tiger Woods, while being a dominant amateur, was not dominant against the pros.
He also STARTED beating up on us guys at about the same age Michelle seems to be figuring things out

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 05:03:06 PM »
Tom, You should know this crowd only reacts to train wrecks. Her winning was inevitable once she obtained the experience and hopefully told her parents to FO.

Flame on.

You know Adam, this is out of line. You are not privy to the goings on in that household. She has said all the people who criticize her parents are out of line, because they know nothing.

There is a bunch of nonsense in American culture that says you should raise your kids to be independent. Perhaps that is because American parents and culture are failures that result in rebellious kids. Maybe, if American parents weren't failures they would realize that you can raise kids that will become mature adults without having to be "independent'.

If I miss the boat with the above statement, then I have one I know does not miss the boat.

The majority of Americans are clueless when it comes to understanding other cultures.

Flame off.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Phil McDade

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 05:46:59 PM »
Garland:

You do have to admit her childhood was at odds with the way most (and by that I mean 99.9 percent) children are raised these days. I mean, she had endorsement contracts prior to being able to legally drive, I believe, and someone had to be arranging it, and it's fair to assume her parents had a role.

One only has to look at the One Who Shall Not Be Mentioned (male version) to see first-hand the possible outcomes of a childhood spent being pushed to be the next Greatest Thing on Earth.

George Pazin

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 06:09:05 PM »
Garland:

You do have to admit her childhood was at odds with the way most (and by that I mean 99.9 percent) children are raised these days. I mean, she had endorsement contracts prior to being able to legally drive, I believe, and someone had to be arranging it, and it's fair to assume her parents had a role.

One only has to look at the One Who Shall Not Be Mentioned (male version) to see first-hand the possible outcomes of a childhood spent being pushed to be the next Greatest Thing on Earth.

What typifies the other 99.9%?

Nothin'.

There are little or no rules when it comes to raising kids - that's something every parent learns very quickly. There is wisdom passed down, but look at how often that is quickly discarded for the latest flavor of the month.

Whose way is right? Tiger's? Phil's? Furyk's? Ty Tryon's? Christie Kerr's? Annika's? Jack's? Hogan's? Try to find a common theme among these disparate figures, aside from an obsession with playing golf. It's just not there. If it were, we'd all be raising Tigers - or at least Jacks.

Unless someone inside the family wants to come out and say otherwise, I choose to believe Michelle's parent's acted in what they felt was her best interests, and I think for anyone on here to conclude otherwise is to presume waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much (sometimes Mattspeak just works so well...)

Kind of ironic that a bunch of guys who shout down anyone who comments on a course without playing it are so quick to provide Monday morning parenting.

I'm not afraid to comment on pix, but I am afraid to comment on parenting. Guess I'm still weird.

:)

Time to leave the sweatshop and hit the pool...have a good night, eveyone.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2010, 06:11:15 PM »
Thank you George.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2010, 06:58:23 PM »
Wie's parents still hover like helicopters at times, though not as often. Is that good or bad? If it's bad, she's overcoming it. If it's good, fine for her.

If should be remembered, especially by those who believe she has underperformed, that she remains a part-time player with a full-time LPGA card. She's back at Stanford next week, I believe, and will miss much of the rest of the year.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tim McManus

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2010, 07:23:49 PM »
Wonderful post George, Thank you.  

Michelle may not have lived up yet to all of the expectations for her golf career, but she has been successful by any normal standard, is well liked by her peers, is enrolled in one the world's premier universities based on academic merit, is fantastically rich, and generally poised and well behaved in the face of much scrutiny.  That is a pretty good combination.  Is it all really in spite of her parents?  I'd say they have done a good job.

George Freeman

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2010, 08:37:51 PM »
Tiger Woods was 21 years old when he won his first major. 

Michelle Wie is 20.

I see a bright future ahead for the young lady.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2010, 11:03:44 PM »
TD: I think the interest in the LPGA is getting down near zero and Ms. Wie should have concentrated on the LPGA when Annika was still playing and people cared.  
If MW comes even close to living up to her potential then in a few years far more people will care about the LPGA than did when Annika ruled the LPGA.  I think she could be a far more interesting golf icon than Annika was.  She has more of a power game, she is American and she is far more photogenic.

astavrides

Re: If Michelle Wie Wins In The Forest and No One Hears It New
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2010, 01:45:07 AM »
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 09:55:08 PM by astavrides »

JC Jones

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2010, 07:43:44 AM »
Is this a Tiger thread?  Is this OT?  Has GCA.com jumped the shark?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Scott Warren

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2010, 07:56:53 AM »
I'd been wondering where Anthony Gray had gone. Looks like maybe he just hacked JC Jones's account ;D

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2010, 04:45:36 PM »
leading by 4, -7 (28) on her first 9. I think she is making enough noise.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2010, 05:43:25 PM »
7 under today through 16 holes...With two bogeys!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back