News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

U.S. Open preview piece
« on: June 11, 2010, 09:59:32 AM »
Part of my piece will also be up at PGA.com, but here's the entire preview I wrote for Cybergolf.  I hope you like it.  Remember that the intended audience is all golfers and golf fans, not just architecture experts.  I found two great ancient sources nobody else had, including a 1983 article written by Watson that details shot-for-shot his back nine win '82.  I'll have a chance to speak with him briefly during Open week, so if you have questions for him, send them to me.  Please try to limit them to '82 and to golf design.

http://www.cybergolf.com/golf_news/us_open_preview_the_emerald_sapphire_gold_of_pebble_beach

By the way...yes, I know there is an uncorrected (as yet) typo in Wind's name at the end.  I'm working on getting that fixed.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 10:07:04 AM by Jay Flemma »
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

RJ_Daley

Re: U.S. Open preview piece
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 04:20:14 PM »
Well, I hope we get the full cycle of weather and wind.  Yet, the luck of the draw when the weather changes drastically from morning to afternoon rounds can be a pity for the guys on the wrong side of the tee times.  Too bad the changes of conditions can't be on a daily basis rather than hour to hour.  Jay always sends me to a wiki or reference with some of his metaphors and analogies.  Do you have one for Kite's 6 iron to the 100 yard 7th in '92 in a gale?   ;) ;D

Nice article Jay...  8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 07:37:49 PM »
Lemme guess, Brother William...the one about the Bonhamme Richard and the Serapis? ;D
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Michael Taylor

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 07:11:41 AM »
Seriously good article Jay. How long did that take you to write? A lot of research involved I assume?

Pup

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 03:17:55 PM »
Took me a few days...yes, lots of research, but I found those two sources no one else had:)

Tony Weiler

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 04:02:21 PM »
Jay, well done. 

Carl Nichols

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 04:43:48 PM »
Jay:
Liked the article.  It does strike me as unlikely, however, that Watson would play Pebble "almost every day" before his classes at Stanford, which is 90 miles away.   

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 07:18:56 PM »
well, I'll have a surprise for you later this week that will explain it:)!

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 05:36:44 AM »
Jay

Nice piece. 

Although, I would question Pebble as the only public access host of a major venue for decades.  Pinehurst hosted the PGA in 1936 - long before Pebble ever got hold of what we call a major today.  Although I spose teh US Am wass a major when Pebble hosted for Jones' famous first round loss, but that wasn't decades before Pinehurst.

BTW - what is the significance of the courses listed on your tag line?

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Bill Hyde

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 08:54:58 AM »
Great piece Jay, not sure Vonnegut would want to be associated with our trivial pursuit of a white ball, however I am impressed you remember all those characters from your lit. classes! BTW...make sure you ask Phil if it would mean more to him to win the US Open or to catapult me to the top of the leaderboard in my majors pool at the club.

Have fun out there...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back