News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Cirba

The Case of the Disappearing Nike Missile Range
« on: April 23, 2010, 10:54:08 PM »
In 1954, the Cobb's Creek Golf Course was forced to change it's original routing when during those Cold War years, it was determined that about 15% of the acreage of the golf course needed to become a Nike Missile base to shoot down the Soviet planes that were going to come and drop the Big One on Philadelphia.

I was born during those Eisenhower years, in July of 1958 to be precise, and for some time I've believed that the Nike base there likely lasted until some more pacifist President with an appeasement agenda, like say Richard Nixon, or Gerald Ford, came along and willingly closed down that vital last defense of our freedom from the Commies.   ;)

So, it was with great surprise tonight in flipping through aerials of the golf course during that year of my brith that I discovered that although I Liked Ike, he was evidently the semi-pinko culprit responsible for that outrage.  ;)

The following aerial, from June 7th, 1958, shows our defensive posture solidly in place, sturdy and ready as General Curtis LeMay to launch first strike capability at a moment's notice.

I was born a month and a half later, and by September 23rd of the same year, our battlements were removed, shorn clean from the landscape in what had to have been some Algier Hiss-ian betrayal of our nation.

Do you think perhaps we can launch an investigation?   ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 10:56:44 PM by Mike_Cirba »

Pete_Pittock

Re: The Case of the Disappearing Nike Missile Range
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 11:07:55 PM »
Mike,
You probably never heard about the cover-up that begun seconds after the first picture was taken. A premature ignition of a Nike took out the airliner near bottom left.   ;) Shortly before Ike's first heart attack. :)

This may have been Nike's first involvment with the golf industry.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 11:11:09 PM »
Pete,

Classic!   ;D

Can you see the markings on that plane?  

If I zoom in real close I can swear it either says "Aeroflot", or "PeteSeeger".

Tough to tell, but clearly an imminent threat either way!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 11:14:04 PM by Mike_Cirba »

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 11:25:29 PM »
"So, it was with great surprise tonight in flipping through aerials of the golf course during that year of my brith that I discovered that although I Liked Ike, he was evidently the semi-pinko culprit responsible for that outrage."

Michael:

IKE was a "semi-pinko" culprit responsible for what outrage?

It seems like you need a history lesson on another historical era------our "Ango-American Maltusian Moneycrat Oligarghy" era and evolution! ;) You need to bone up on the massive inception of our intelligence community and apparatus and who was largely responsible for it which very likely wasn't IKE! Don't forget, in his parting address as he left the presidency after two terms he is the one who warned about what he called "the Military/Industrial Complex."

Who do you think that essentially was?  Believe me, they populated some very signifcant golf clubs that we talk about today. Want to guess which ones they primarily were and where?    ::)

Mike Cirba

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 11:33:14 PM »
Tom,

Do you think the Rosenberg's might have been responsible?   

Personally, I think rock and roll and that Elvis fellow were involved at some nefarious level.  ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 12:10:21 AM »
"Tom,
Do you think the Rosenbergs might have been responsible?" 

Michael:

You're so naive. The Rosenbergs were just a diversion. They weren't anything other than a little old Jewish couple that was in the wrong place at the wrong time to deflect what that cabal (The "Anglo-American Malthusian Moneycrat Oligarghy") had really been up to some years earlier which was essentially the financiers of the Third Reich mostly in the form of Brown Brothers Harriman and its partners and operatives.

"Personally, I think rock and roll and that Elvis fellow were involved at some nefarious level."

Elvis didn't have anything to do with any of this. All Elvis did was completely corrupt the morals of America's youth with his gyrating hips and the sexual innuendo of his voice and lyrics. And frankly the upshot of that was the remarkable "social revolution" of the 1960s with hippies, free love, drugs, really bad music (after Elvis), and some other immature and nonsensical behavior such as anti-warism which actually served the necessary "balancing out" of that era in that they were all pretty much opposed to that "Anglo-American Malthusian Moneycrat Oligarghy."  ;)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 07:02:51 AM »
I love this site, especially when they leave the lights on and the computers powered up way after bedtime in the Philadelphia and New York rest homes that these guys inhabit.  Keep palming those meds, guys, there's a market for them!

Interesting about the Nike base removal...what's there now?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 08:01:29 AM »

Currently, a driving range.

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 08:18:52 AM »
Thanks, Joe.  What was there in the original routing?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 08:19:43 AM »
Thanks, Joe.  What was there in the original routing?

A par 5, the 13th hole.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 08:35:54 AM »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 09:28:37 AM »

Currently, a driving range.

So then it's still a missile site. What's Cirba talking about.  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mike Cirba

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 10:12:45 AM »
Well Jim...I'm pretty sure we can blame Obama for that.

I mean...15 months in office already and he still hasn't fixed that situation!

Cmon man, what's up with that??  ;)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 10:58:59 AM »
Mike,

Are you sure of the second date ?

Most Nike sites had the control and radar installations on high ground in order to provide better radar scanning/range, with the underground missile launchers at nearby sites or sometimes at the same site.

If your date of removal is correct, then I suspect a better launch site was substituted for the one pictured.
The site pictured seems too susceptible to sabotage and the Nike Air Defense program was just getting into high swing in 1958.

It wasn't until the mid 70's that the system was dismantled, not 1958.

My club in Northern NJ had an installation a driver and 6-iron away. (probably a driver, 3-wood and 9-iron for you and TEPaul)

Other courses in NJ had sites close by.
I often wondered if that was coincidental or a prefered drop area for the Nike rocket's booster stage.

In high school, in the 50's I was driving a friend's dad's car.  A big black Cadillac, with 4 of my friends with me.
We were in Livingston, near a large estate recently featured in a "Life" magazine article about organized crime.. 
I decided to drive into the long driveway for that estate but was eventually stopped by large iron gates. 
I turned around, exited, made a left and then another left into the driveway leading to the Nike installation.
As we ascended up the hill toward the base, there were imposing security fences and a substantial guard gate. 
The guards at the gate saw the big black Cadillac coming up the hill and waived us through, probably thinking that we must be dignataries or commanding officers.  When they saw a bunch of kids in the car, they sounded the alarm and when we got to the installation area we were greeted by jeeps mounted with machine guns and a number of rather upset and hostile guards using language we clearly understood.  We were directed to get our asses the  @#* out of there as quickly as possible.  As we passed the entry gate on our way out, we waved.  Needless to say, the guards who had waved us into the base did not return our wave.

The 50's were a great time in America.

Yes, we had to conduct air raid drills in school and have supposedly safe shelters to go to in the event of nuclear attack, but, by and large it was an age of innocence, where you could leave the doors to your house unlocked and the keys to your car in the ignition and not have to worry about anything.  We went everywhere on our bikes, played outside until dinner and didn't worry about a thing.
We'd take buses into New York City and ride the subways and go to "Rock and Roll" shows with Allen Freed.  It was really a lot of fun growing up then.  Post War America was starting to hit its stride and they were great times.

My one regret, or one of my regrets, is that the mentality of young women today, wasn't in place in the 50's.
You have no idea of how hard it was to get to first base, let alone hit a home run.
Man, it was long, hard work.   ;D  But, you have to take the good with the bad, the bitter with the sweet and I wouldn't trade those times for anything, except to relive them knowing what I know today.

George_Bahto

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 11:39:47 AM »
The estate Pat is referring towqs the estate of Richie The Boot Biardo  -   hi very close relative lived in Essex Fells. Not quite as long a driveway but just as dangerous

big no-no gong up those driveways
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Mike Cirba

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 12:40:17 PM »
Patrick,

Terrific post...I'm glad I started this late-night, wine-fueled thread just to read your musings.   ;D

Yes, I'm confident that the aerial is dated correctly.  If you note some of the other features and knowing some of the timings of tree plantings, etc., on that property, it's definitely from the 50s.

If I understand you correctly, one possibility is that they left the launch sites underground, smoothed it over to cover their tracks, and moved the radar and surface to air missles to another location?   :o   I wonder if President Obama is counting those in this latest treaty or if someone forgot about them?  ;)  ;D

Hopefully, we'll get to dig them up someday and find out for sure.    Or perhaps someone should simply tell the shapers to keep it tight to the vest and don't get too creative in there?   ;D

As far as the 1950's women, yep...my mom was one of them all the way!...or, not all the way...er...you know what I mean!   :-X :D

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 01:49:31 PM »
Great post. My Dad was a Nike Hercules Missile Technician during the early 1960's in West Germany.
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Steve Lang

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 03:01:06 PM »
 8)

The 1950s were also a time when Riverview was home to active Nike Ajax missile silos, located behind what is now City Hall.  The missiles were part of a national nuclear response system. The Nike Missile site ( site D-54 )  was here to protect the Metro Detroit Area, specifically the automobile and steel industries.  The Nike missile systems were set up in a "ring" around the area that they were to protect.  The lower part of the Detroit ring was made up of sites D-51 on Grosse Ile, D-54 in Riverview, D57/58 in Newport/Carleton, and D-61 at Metro Airport.  Cleveland had it's own "ring".   D-54 (along with D-51) was deactivated in February of 1963, due to the advent of a newer version of the Nike missile called the Hercules, which had a longer range.  This longer range allowed for fewer missile sites to protect the same area so Riverview was one of the sites that was not upgraded to Hercules and  was  shut  down.   D-58  and  D-61  were    upgraded   to  Hercules   and  covered   the  area  that   D-51  and  D-54 were set up for.  There is a little more information along with aerial photos on a website at http://nikehercules.tripod.com/d-54.html, if you are interested.  The radar station operating the silos was located on Pennsylvania Road.

By the first tee on a hidden Ross Gem..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 10:20:27 PM »

The estate Pat is referring towqs the estate of Richie The Boot Biardo  -   hi very close relative lived in Essex Fells. Not quite as long a driveway but just as dangerous.

George, I knew whose estate it was as my dad grew up with them in Newark and "Richie's"  son"Tony Boy" lived four houses away from me in Verona.  He also played at the Knoll when it was in its hayday..
But, my friends didn't know what I knew and were curious, so I drove up the driveway like a dope.
As kids, we were a little reckless and pretty stupid and thought we were invincible.

Can you imagine the irony of being fired on, on adjacent driveways, by such a diverse group ? ;D

big no-no gong up those driveways

I wasn't worried about driving up the first driveway, but when I looked in my mirror at the activity at the guard house when we blew by it, and then  reached the center of the Nike installation and I saw the array of weapons at the ready, and the hostility of the guards, I got a little concerned that maybe this was a bad idea.

TEPaul

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 10:59:23 PM »
Richie "the Boot" Biardo, and his son "Tony Boy"??!?

OK, whatever you North Jersey guys say. If you clowns are looking to bury someone, or even store him for a few years, let me know. I've got some conservation property here that even I can't touch; nobody can. Just pay me $1,500 up front and the interest on the rest of the $8,500 is at 175% per annum.

It's a bargain Boys and I may never have to call in the favor.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 11:05:19 PM »
Patrick,

Terrific post...I'm glad I started this late-night, wine-fueled thread just to read your musings.   ;D

Yes, I'm confident that the aerial is dated correctly.  If you note some of the other features and knowing some of the timings of tree plantings, etc., on that property, it's definitely from the 50s.

If I understand you correctly, one possibility is that they left the launch sites underground, smoothed it over to cover their tracks, and moved the radar and surface to air missles to another location?   :o   I wonder if President Obama is counting those in this latest treaty or if someone forgot about them?  ;)  ;D

Mike, the Nike launch sites weren't silos, they were concrete slits with the missiles mounted on rails.
I doubt they'd hide them at that site, which doesn't look to well protected.
The radar/control installations were usually on the higher hills in order to get better range, while the missile batteries were either at the radar/control site or not far removed.  No site in Pennsylvania, protecting Philly was decomissioned earlier than 1961, with most being decomishioned in 1963, hence, I believe they just moved west to the Edgemont, Delaware City installation.

One of the neatest sights I've ever seen was to drive north over the Golden Gate Bridge, into Sausalito, and take a left into the area between the highway and the ocean.  It's an old military base, Fort Cronkhite I think, where the U.S. built huge underground and protected gun mounts, ammo magazines, tunnels, etc., etc. during WWII.  Many of the really big gun mounts were housed in huge concrete circular pits that had thick concrete overhangs to protect against dive bombers.  The guns were to defend against an attack by sea.  I spent hours combing through those old installations.   I have some great photos that I took of those installations.
The gun mounts cut into the cliffs and were enormous, but, as toured these installations, built circa 1942, I drove over a ridge, and there, sitting below and protected on three sides by cliffs/hills, and aimed toward the sky was a battery of Nike missiles at the ready..  I forget the generation, but, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Ajax which was phased out by the time I first visited SF, it was probably a Hercules or Zeus, but, they looked really neat and were a stunning contrast to the WWII fortifications that were only a few hundred yards away.  I have pictures of those Nike missiles sitting on their launch rails, aimed to the sky.  One day, if I ever learn to post photos, I'll display them.

Hopefully, we'll get to dig them up someday and find out for sure.    Or perhaps someone should simply tell the shapers to keep it tight to the vest and don't get too creative in there? 

I think they moved that site due west, but, it would be interesting to take a metal detector to see if you get a response in that area.
The underground network was fairly large and I don't imagine that they took everything with them when those bases were decommisioned.

I was a military buff in an earlier life and like delving into this stuff.
What I always wondered was, how many missiles did each launch installation house ?
Surely, if the Russians were coming they weren't going to send a few planes, but, I never heard that they had plenty of storage capability at those sites, so I always wondered how effective they would be if we were attacked.  I also don't know if the installations in a "ring" were in communication with one another, technologically.  Maybe Craig Disher knows ?  ?  ?

As far as the 1950's women, yep...my mom was one of them all the way!...or, not all the way...er...you know what I mean!   :-X :D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2010, 11:07:39 PM »
Richie "the Boot" Biardo, and his son "Tony Boy"??!?

OK, whatever you North Jersey guys say. If you clowns are looking to bury someone, or even store him for a few years, let me know. I've got some conservation property here that even I can't touch; nobody can. Just pay me $1,500 up front and the interest on the rest of the $8,500 is at 175% per annum.

It's a bargain Boys and I may never have to call in the favor.

TEPaul,

According to "Life" magazine, they had a particular method for disposing of the evidence that was untracable in those days.
And, I"d be careful about going into competition with the disposal specialists from our neck of the woods.

George_Bahto

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 09:56:52 AM »
Pat - didn't they own that asphalt plant nearly across the street??   huge oen going most day and night years back
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Mike Cirba

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 10:33:31 AM »
Patrick,

Thanks for the additional info on the Philly defense system.

I'll see what I can find in 1958 papers.

That particular spot is at a low point on the property, very near the creek level, so that may have played a part in the sudden move.

Jon Heise

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 11:17:17 AM »
8)

The 1950s were also a time when Riverview was home to active Nike Ajax missile silos, located behind what is now City Hall.  The missiles were part of a national nuclear response system. The Nike Missile site ( site D-54 )  was here to protect the Metro Detroit Area, specifically the automobile and steel industries.  The Nike missile systems were set up in a "ring" around the area that they were to protect.  The lower part of the Detroit ring was made up of sites D-51 on Grosse Ile, D-54 in Riverview, D57/58 in Newport/Carleton, and D-61 at Metro Airport.  Cleveland had it's own "ring".   D-54 (along with D-51) was deactivated in February of 1963, due to the advent of a newer version of the Nike missile called the Hercules, which had a longer range.  This longer range allowed for fewer missile sites to protect the same area so Riverview was one of the sites that was not upgraded to Hercules and  was  shut  down.   D-58  and  D-61  were    upgraded   to  Hercules   and  covered   the  area  that   D-51  and  D-54 were set up for.  There is a little more information along with aerial photos on a website at http://nikehercules.tripod.com/d-54.html, if you are interested.  The radar station operating the silos was located on Pennsylvania Road.

By the first tee on a hidden Ross Gem..

Steve, this pic is of the missle by the Riverview city hall/post office on Sibley, right?  What course were you referring to?  Riverview Highlands sure isnt a Ross!!!
I still like Greywalls better.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back