News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

Cypress Point Club (Pics)
« on: April 07, 2010, 11:32:39 AM »
There have been threads like this on CPC in the past, but can we ever tire of staring at pictures of this masterpiece?  I had the pleasure of playing here last month on an unbelievably gorgeous spring day and thought I'd share some pics.  I'll go slow, hopefully so others can chime in, add pics of their own and provide much more insightful commentary than I can offer from one round.

1st Hole - 420 Yards, Par 4
Elevated tee steps from the clubhouse -- over a hedge and over a road to a generous landing area.  Carrying tree on the right rewards long hitter with good angle to an elevated green sloped sharply from back to front.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:48:40 PM by Jim Colton »

Scott Warren

Re: Cypress Point Club (Pics)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 11:40:01 AM »
This will be a great thread! I love the mood of the pics, with the dew, green grass, blue skies and the sharp sunlight.

My heart races just a little bit whenever I see CPC.

Thanks Jim, you lucky SOB ;D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 11:44:00 AM by Scott Warren »

Trey Kemp

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 11:41:16 AM »
Awesome, can't wait to see the rest of the pics!
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 11:51:09 AM »
Jim, no, we can never tire of it. If it helps you relive the experience as well, then a double-bonus.

By any chance do you have a photo looking back at the elevated tee, steps from the clubhouse? I"m curious to see just how close the road, hedge, clubhouse, are.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 12:01:51 PM »
Hahahaha....this is gonna be awesome!!

I don't mean to keep adding to the "sweet thread, Jim!!" posts, but seriously, this is an exciting thread.  :)

Richard Choi

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 12:14:38 PM »
You lucky lucky dog... :) Congrats, looks like it was a fabulous day.

I want to hear more about your general perception of the course and your favorite hole of the day!

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 12:21:46 PM »
Can't wait to see more!!!  Always enjoying seeing pictures of CPC and this should be a great thread coming from you Jim!  Very jealous as well!   ;)

Ron Csigo

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 12:27:30 PM »
Jim,

Seeing pictures of Cypress Point never gets old especially for those that have yet to play the course and for those who enjoy reminiscing about having played there.  Congrats again!  IMO, don't be shy about posting every picture you have of CPC for us MacKenzie aficionados!
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Jim Colton

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 12:41:24 PM »
I know Kyle H. has even more pics from the same day (I have most of them).  I'm waiting to hear from him on how he wants to proceed before I move on to hole #2.  I can either host his pics and post them with mine, or give him an opportunity to post on his own side-by-side.  He is the course tour expert.

I don't have any pics from the tee box or looking back.  It was a terrifying shot for me as there was at least a 35% chance that I was going to dive bomb one into the hedge.  It didn't help that the entire Penn golf team was watching us tee off.

Eric Smith

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 12:42:49 PM »
Jim, looks and sounds like you had a great day, thanks for sharing with us. Will shot tracker technology be used in this thread? ;)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 01:12:06 PM »

Mas, por favor.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 02:25:17 PM »
The first hole is perhaps the weakest on the course, partly because of its stiff competition, but the green site is excellent, and the fairway is wide enough to encourage a free swing from the 1st tee -- one of MacKenzie's favored ploys.

The hedge protecting traffic on 17-mile Drive is unsightly (I'll post a picture when able),  but everything else in view is on the order of breathtaking as the golfer begins his day exactly where he would most like to be.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Jud_T

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 03:09:10 PM »
Jim,

You clearly play too many great golf courses too often and too well.  As penance, you should have to play the Wilmette Park District course for a season.  Righty!    ;)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jim Colton

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 04:19:11 PM »
2nd Hole - 549 Yards, Par 5
A very cool par 5. One of those bite off as much as you can chew shots off the tee, carrying as much of the deep chasm as you can muster.    Bunkers pinch the fairway at just the spot most would be for a full wedge or 9I into the green.  As I recall, the green is one of the flatter ones on the course.  A good chance at birdie early in the round, assuming you cleared the gorge.

Scott Warren

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 04:26:12 PM »
How different is CPC today to the course described in "The Match"?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 07:14:51 PM »
Jim

I certainly wont tire of seeing pics. of CPC  8)

Look forward to the rest of the tour.

Sean Leary

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 07:35:54 PM »
Nice pics. Can't wait to see more  of "green light special" #6.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 11:11:38 PM »
Jim, thanks so much !

From the get-go the scale of the bunkering is epic.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Ash Towe

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 11:23:07 PM »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the photos.  Once you played Cypress you always have the memories and it is great to have these reminders.

Our group had the same conditions as you did at the start and the anticaption of what was about to unfold was amazing.

Look forward to the remainder of your thread.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 11:33:13 PM »

Scott,

How could he possibly know?

Bob

Scott Warren

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 11:41:43 PM »

Scott,

How could he possibly know?

Bob

Hi Bob,

That was more a general question to anyone reading the thread who would know. I actually thought perhaps you'd be as likely as anyone to have some knowledge on the matter, but I didn't want to direct it to anyone in particular in case that discouraged others from replying.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 12:00:03 AM »
Wow Jim, as everyone else above, just very special.

By the look of the footprints, you were second group out :)

And the fairway pic of the first - is that some kind of divine being watching over you from above the 1st green, casting beautiful soft light - as magical as it could be...

Thanks to you and Kyle for sharing

Brett
@theflatsticker

Emil Weber

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 04:03:24 AM »
There have been threads like this on CPC in the past

doesn't matter!!!

Michael Taylor

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 06:17:15 AM »
Does it ever rain there??  ;D Whenever I see pics of CPC it always has the most beautiful weather.

I asked Kevin before what his favorite hole was in each part of the course (Dunes, Ocean and Trees), but what would you say the 'worst' or 'weakest' hole is out of each of them Jim?

And no, I never EVER get tired of seeing pics of this course. The place doesn't look too bad at all.  ;)

Jim Colton

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 09:27:44 AM »
Michael,

I'm more of a glass half full kind of guy.  Like Kyle said, it's all relative when it comes to this course.

I don't have many pics of 3 & 4, so I will post them together.

3rd Hole - 156 Yards, Par 3
Just a short iron to this well-protected green.  Love me some Mackenzie bunkers!

4th Hole - 383 Yards, Par 4
I made a mess of this hole, but I think the play is down the left side over the large bunker.  Not a huge carry by today's standard, but clearing gives the best angle to this wild green.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back