News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Cavalier

Re: BULLS BAY: High Golf in Low Country
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2016, 03:52:56 PM »
Sean,

What is the purpose of the bunker stakes on #3?

Jim:

There's a large tidal marsh right next to that hole - I am not certain, but I believe those stakes mark the high water line during the highest of high tides.

Jon
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Paul Carey

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2016, 07:54:28 PM »
At Bulls Bay the waste areas are marked by blue stakes i.e. if a sandy area has a blue stake it is waste and if not it is a hazard.  I had never seen this before but it works quite well and it is quite unintrusive.

Paul Carey

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2016, 08:01:16 PM »
Sean,

I don't have a clue Jim...unless its to help people mark their ball like they do on heathland courses. 

So...what do people think about the use of trees?

Tom...the tree on #1 seems to push people left...which when the hole is on the right of the green is a better angle, but one has to cope with the bunker.  This to me is a curious use of the tree.

Jon...thanks for the pix.

Ciao

Actually the tree on one is quite effective.  To have a clear line to the pin you must be left of the tree but not so far left as to have to take your second over the bunker.  Right is a play that will require a shot over the tree but a line clear of the bunker.   It works quite well for a first hole as the tee shot feels like a driving range but requires much more precision for an easy second. 

Even at 450+ from the back tees the younger boys just pound it down the left side and loft a 7 or 8 iron to the green.  Ridiculous.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 08:03:47 PM by Paul Carey »

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2016, 06:10:35 AM »
Sean,

I don't have a clue Jim...unless its to help people mark their ball like they do on heathland courses. 

So...what do people think about the use of trees?

Tom...the tree on #1 seems to push people left...which when the hole is on the right of the green is a better angle, but one has to cope with the bunker.  This to me is a curious use of the tree.

Jon...thanks for the pix.

Ciao

Actually the tree on one is quite effective.  To have a clear line to the pin you must be left of the tree but not so far left as to have to take your second over the bunker.  Right is a play that will require a shot over the tree but a line clear of the bunker.   It works quite well for a first hole as the tee shot feels like a driving range but requires much more precision for an easy second. 

Even at 450+ from the back tees the younger boys just pound it down the left side and loft a 7 or 8 iron to the green.  Ridiculous.

So...hit it down the middle then  8)

Normally I am not a big fan of trees blocking access to greens from fairways.  But in the case of Bulls Bay there is so little other encroachment of trees that it isn't a big deal...it is even something to be admired as a throwback concept which works.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back