News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Taylor

Re: Master list of Herbert Strong golf courses
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 04:48:27 PM »
Braidburn Country Club in Florham Park, NJ was renamed Brooklake Country Club in 1985. (Geoffrey Cornish redesign)
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 07:44:14 PM »
Are you working off courses listed in his 1925-26 ad?

Anthony

Ian Andrew

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2014, 07:05:58 AM »
Is Laval-sur-le-lac on that list?

I have a 1928 aerial for Laval that I'll be using for a bunker project on the Green course - the only question I have is about whether Strong had done the (or at least some) bunkers at that point. We can't find any confirmation on the timing of his work.
-

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2014, 11:32:59 AM »
Courses from at Strong 1925 ad that don't appear to be on the list

Lakewood Golf Club, St. Petersburg

Linwood Country Club, Atlantic City

Winding Hollow Country Club, Columbus, Ohio

Rogers Forge Country Club, Baltimore

Cedar Point Country Club, Woodmere, L.I.

Huntington Bay Club, Huntington, L.I.

"AND MANY OTHERS"

Greg Smith

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2014, 12:01:50 PM »
Rodgers Forge GC was the original name for CC of Maryland, which is alive, well, and beautiful.   The club was also once known as Terra Maria GC.   Their members even have a trophy called the Herbert Strong Cup which they play for each year.  Despite the "CC" it is a fairly understated, golf-only kind of place.  They haven't gone and lengthened anything unduly, it plays maybe 6200 from the back.  As an aging short hitter the course suits me perfectly.  :)

They did a very nice restoration in about 2006.  I never played it prior to the restoration, but an examination and comparison of aerial photos shows the scope of work.  No routing was changed, mostly fixing the existing bunkering and green sizes.  I have no idea what they did regarding green contours, or what if any research was done to try and duplicate the 1920s greens.

O fools!  who drudge from morn til night
And dream your way of life is wise,
Come hither!  prove a happier plight,
The golfer lives in Paradise!                      

John Somerville, The Ballade of the Links at Rye (1898)

Tim Rooney

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2014, 09:03:45 PM »
I was born/raised in Columbus and was always informed by word of mouth and periodicals Winding Hollow was a Robert Trent Jones,Sr. and Columbus CC, Donald Ross.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2014, 09:06:25 AM »
Courses from at Strong 1925 ad that don't appear to be on the list

Lakewood Golf Club, St. Petersburg

Linwood Country Club, Atlantic City

Winding Hollow Country Club, Columbus, Ohio

Rogers Forge Country Club, Baltimore

Cedar Point Country Club, Woodmere, L.I.

Huntington Bay Club, Huntington, L.I.

"AND MANY OTHERS"

Anthony,

Is Laval there?
-

Billsteele

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2014, 02:47:11 PM »
My understanding of the lineage of Winding Hollow in Columbus, Ohio is that it was originally designed as a nine hole course in the 1920's. My understanding is that Strong designed the original course. In the late 1940's, RTJ Sr. redesigned the course and expanded it to 18 holes. I think this was around the same time he was redesigning Firestone South.  I have no idea how much of Strong's original design is left. However, it is a really good golf course on a pretty compact piece of land. This article gives some of the history of the club, including Trent Jones' involvement: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2007/07/04/windin.ART_ART_07-04-07_B1_3F76T4A.html

Tim Rooney

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2014, 06:35:26 PM »
Thanks,Columbus CC may have started as Strong before Donald Ross.

Billsteele

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2014, 06:47:37 PM »
Tim-I have also heard that Bendelow was involved at Columbus Country Club. Don't have any source for that though.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2014, 09:23:24 AM »
Ian:

Only Canadian courses listed are Lakeview and New Manior Richelieu.

From the ad, "The Chairman of the Greens Committee of the Engineers' in his report says: In closing my report, I wish to say that the entire credit for the wondefrul one-year-old golf course belongs to Herbert Strong, our Golf Architect. He has lived, moved and has being on this course since the first spadeful of earth was turned. He has nursed each blade of grass as it sprung from Mother Earth and he has built for himself and for us a Golf Monument that ranks among the greatest examples in the world. We believed him competent when we engaged him to lay out the course, but we 'builded more wisely than we knew'."

Ian Andrew

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2014, 09:45:46 AM »
Thanks Anthony,

I went through the entire Golf Canada archives (regarding Laval) and I found nothing, which is odd, since the club had enough profile.
I should reach out to Ron Whitten.

I do have the original booklet for Manior Richelieu, all the holes are drawn and a photo for each is provided
I can't remember when or how I ended up with that.
-

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2014, 05:48:31 PM »

Some oustanding questions:
Need to confirm existing nine holer at Sherwood Forest is not Strong's.

This place must be a real throwback - the modern aerial of it shows that they still have sand greens.
I don't know if HS actually did anything there, but the article suggests that he did something.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:57:13 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Matt Meyer

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2014, 10:42:26 AM »
Bradley Klein made a presentation to the Columbus Country Club membership in 2012 and reinforeced the fact that CCC has features more consistent with Bendelow and H.S. Colt.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2014, 10:49:25 AM »
Tim-I have also heard that Bendelow was involved at Columbus Country Club. Don't have any source for that though.

Bill:

Check this thread for Bendelow's involvement at Columbus CC:  http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36324.0.html

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Ben Malach

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2021, 07:40:56 PM »
Bump for information on Herbert Strong at St. Andrews.

I am currently engaged with Andrew Harvey at looking at some old Canadian golf courses. This one has piqued our interest as Stanley Thompson is also listed as the architect. There is a little information on Mr. Strong's involvement with the project and we would like to try to clarify this picture belleve its an interesting story of two of golfs best architects on one site.  If anyone can point us in the right direction on this it would be of great assistance.
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Peter Gannon

Re: Master list of Herbert Strong golf courses New
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2021, 11:40:30 PM »
Island's End in Greenport LI was designed by George Heron, a PGA Professional at original Meadowbrook Club, LI in 1960. Construction by Charle K Martin, who had also helped shape Suffolk County public courses, Swan Lake, Spring Lake, and Middle Island, as well as work at North Hills, Indian Island, etc.    It is often mistakenly credited to Herbert Strong, as the Island's End of today opened in 1960.   (I do like them bragging about planting 40k trees in the 1960s.  those were crazy times!)  There are some trees planted right in the middle of clearly grassed over bunkers on the right of 13 fairway, and the left of 14 at the dogleg.  Would be better as bunkers vs trees.  It's a fun place, a couple of wild greens, long par 3s, short par 5s, variety of par 4s.  Simple, but not easy.   

Engineer's is one of my favorite courses to play, Inwood is great fun, so was hoping there was a Strong connection to Island's End, but don't think so.

Island's End Golf and Country Club article
https://patch.com/new-york/northfork/regarding-yet-another-north-fork-golf-course

Article on Charles K Martin
https://www.golfonlongisland.com/teebox/2016/06/remembering-charles-k-martin-prominent-long-island-golf-course-designer.html

Through a letter writing campaign informing other community organizations of the project as well as a donor “Tee Off” dinner, Island’s End secured the support necessary to begin construction in July 1960, opening for business in 1961. Initially a 9-hole golf course, designed by George Heron a PGA golf professional, in 1963 the course expanded to 18 holes. In an atmosphere of “private” clubs, Island’s End Golf and Country Club’s decision to be a semi-private club with public access provided a unique opportunity for the golfing community. The course was quickly embraced by the public.
The year 1965 saw even more changes at Island’s End. A driving range property was purchased and a tree planting program was instituted for several years. Eventually, 40,000 trees from the N.Y.S. Forestry Service were planted. This tree planting program was also the beginning of job opportunities for local high school students. In the late 1960s the course was accepted by the United States Golf Association (U.S.G.A.).

« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 11:48:38 PM by Peter Gannon »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back