News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Life is too short to play bad courses
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2011, 01:16:49 PM »
Yes life is too short to play bad courses but I can't recall playing any

I try to avoid courses I am not keen on but if the price is right and there is no hassle I can be persuaded to do so

I don't like the choices of good courses vs bad courses
I prefer to deal in good value vs bad value

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jud_T

« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2011, 01:36:15 PM »
Sean,

I agree but doesn't good value imply at least a minimum level of golf?  Is there any course you wouldn't play for free? 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Brent Hutto

« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2011, 01:43:23 PM »
I've only played one truly bad golf course. It was like $15-$20 or something to play on a Wednesday afternoon and even at that price the value was piss poor. Common Bermuda wall to wall, the fairways were cut maybe once a week if that and the greens (which had multiple sprinkler heads on the interior of each green) were Stimping approximately zero. I believe they were cut every other day with the same mower used for the fairways.

There were literally flowering weed heads visible on numerous fairways and the bunkers were simply hollow pits from which the sand had long ago washed or been blown. The fairways were irrigated but the "rough" was not. So while the fairway grass was ankle deep in places, outside the irregular boundary of each sprinkler's throw was sandy hardpan with the occasional patch of Bahia Grass and plenty of tree roots.

To top it all off, we were playing after work on a mid-summer afternoon with temps in the upper 90's and there was no potable water on the property. None, zero. Apparently the city water had been cut off some years earlier and the owner had rejiggered the plumbing to flush the lone toilet with irrigation water from the course. We each purchased several bottles of Gatorade and made do until we could finish our round and get the hell out of there.

Sean_A

« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2011, 04:48:26 PM »
Jud

For sure value starts with quality but my bottom line is the price not the quality
I can find more than good stuff in plenty of good value courses to keep me interested in playing
There aren't many courses Ian happy to pay more than £125 game for
Usually the bang for buck diminishes significantly once the £75 Mark is hit

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back