News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

GolfWorld Top 25 Best 9-hole Courses in America
« on: February 23, 2010, 06:22:49 PM »
from the new issue:

Ron Whitten's Picks:

1.  The Dunes Club, New Buffalo, MI
2. Whitinsville (MA) CC
3. Northwood GC, Monte Rio, CA
4. Aetna Springs GC, Pope Valley, CA
5. Sunnylands, Rancho Mirage, CA
6. Birchwood CC, Westport, CT
7. Signal Point Club, Niles, MI
8. Links at Fisher Island (FL)
9. Starr Hollow GC, Tolar, TX
10. Pocantico Hills GC, Tarrytown, NY
11. Hooper GC, Walpole, NH
12. Wyoming GC, Cincinnati, OH
13. Double Eagle GC, Eagle Bend, MN
14. Falcon Valley GC, Lenexa, KS
15. Pottawatomie, St. Charles, IL
16. Doral Arrowwood GC, Purchase, NY
17. Gleneagles GC at McLaren Park, San Fransisco, CA
18. Sydney R. Marovitz GC, Chicago, IL
19. Woodstock (IL) CC
20. Quaker Hill CC, Pawling, NY
21. Stone Creek GC, Williamsburg, IA
22. Hotchkiss School GC, Lakeville, CT
23. Annapolis (MD) GC
24. Dixie Red Hills GC, St. George, UT
25. Legends Butte GC, Crawford, NE
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tom_Doak

Re: GolfWorld Top 25 Best 9-hole Courses in America
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 06:28:28 PM »
I wonder if they know Aetna Springs is closed?

But, it's cool to be #4, anyway.

I have never heard of Signal Point Club -- anybody know anything about it?

Paul OConnor

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 06:33:18 PM »
Either there are not many 9-hole courses, or most of them must be terrible if Sidney R. Marovitz GC, aka Waveland, is #18. 

jonathan_becker

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 06:40:52 PM »
Either there are not many 9-hole courses, or most of them must be terrible if Sidney R. Marovitz GC, aka Waveland, is #18.  

I am not a fan of Waveland .  Also factoring in that it takes 3 hours to play and no one respects the course  The only other that I've played is #1 and the ranking is easily deserved.

What about Headwaters in NC?  An old roomate of mine used to work there and he raved about it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:14:17 PM by jonathan becker »

Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 06:43:21 PM »

What about Headwaters in NC?  An old roomate of mine used to work there and he raved about it.

JB,

I'm playing that one in May and from what I hear it will be as fun of a time as across the street is going to be!

jonathan_becker

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 06:46:12 PM »
Eric,

My friend was an assistant pro in 2004-2005.  He said there would be multiple times when not a single person would play over a 48 hour span.  He hit ProVs at the range all day.....and then he had to pick them up!!

John Moore II

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 06:47:32 PM »
Eric,

My friend was an assistant pro in 2004-2005.  He said there would be multiple times when not a single person would play over a 48 hour span.  He hit ProVs at the range all day.....and then he had to pick them up!!

Why couldn't I have gotten that job? Wow.

Perhaps its not on the list because not enough people played it to give it a ranking? Or maybe they refused to be published?

Eric Smith

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 06:48:55 PM »
I think it's a par 3 course, maybe one 4 no?  Adam Messix is listed as the professional.  Same Adam from GCA?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 06:51:15 PM by Eric Smith »

jonathan_becker

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 06:59:39 PM »
I think it's a par 3 course, maybe one 4 no?  Adam Messix is listed as the professional.  Same Adam from GCA?

Don't quote me on this, but I think it's all par 3s.

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 07:10:09 PM »

Private 1964 Robert Bruce Harris.  Oversize greens sport white and red flags to be played from different tees to comprise 18...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:15:51 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 07:12:36 PM »

I think if you can overlook the crowds and the conditioning, what's on the ground at Waveland is actually pretty good.  Went out on a weekday in November when it was 40 degrees and windy.  With virtually nobody out there, we had a blast...

Paul OConnor

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 07:20:59 PM »
When I lived downtown, I would go play Waveland in the winter when they had snow fences up around the greens.  There was no ground game option on those days, you had to fly it into the corral!  Not too crowded on those days either.  It always kills me when I'm driving on LSD and see people playing that course in carts. Seriously, do you really need a cart for a nine hole course!   

Surprised South Shore is not on that list.  It can't be much worse than Waveland.

Adam Russell

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 07:35:02 PM »
Not a one in the South  >:(. What about Sewanee in TN?
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Paul OConnor

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 07:37:47 PM »
I always liked Billy Caldwell too.  Come to think of it, Chicago has a lot of 9-hole courses.  Robert Black, Columbus Park, Marquette Park, Meadowlark, Waveland, South Shore.  $14 twilight rate - for your 3 hour nine that's $4.66/hour!  Such a deal.

JLahrman

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 08:30:25 PM »
Wyoming is a fun little course.  Haven't played it in a LOOOONG time, but if I remember right they have 3 3s, 3 4s, and 3 5s.

PCCraig

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 08:32:47 PM »
I always liked Billy Caldwell too.  Come to think of it, Chicago has a lot of 9-hole courses.  Robert Black, Columbus Park, Marquette Park, Meadowlark, Waveland, South Shore.  $14 twilight rate - for your 3 hour nine that's $4.66/hour!  Such a deal.

You couldn't pay ME $14 for a 3-hour 9!  :)

Jud hit it on the head (becoming a pattern today, haha) that Waveland really isn't too bad and if you catch it on a weekday off season you can play 9 in about 30 min. Imagine if they cut back the majority of the trees on that property and opened up a vista of the property with tons of lake views......a golf can dream right???
H.P.S.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 08:42:14 PM »
Tom Doak -

Have you ever seen/ heard of Stonycroft, a private 9-holer in the middle of Bloomfield Hills, MI?

The Marovitz (Waveland Ave.) Golf Course off of Lakeshore Drive in Chicago is a sentimental favorite of mine; it is in slightly dreadful condition, as one might expect of a Chicago muni in that spot.  But if it were an old house, I think somebody would be liable to say, "It has good bones; a terrific fixer-upper."

I have a question for anybody who might know; there was a 9-hole executive course built into a large lot smack in the middle of the Illinois Center area in downtown Chicago.  It was one of the most remarkable places to play golf I ever knew of.  You were stuck onto about 8 acres of grass, with tall (like, 40- or 50-story buildings all around you.  Surreal.  I hit balls one evening next to Ernie Banks.  I was in a commercial once, for Nevada Bob's Golf shops, filmed on that course.  It was me (they wanted one guy for a golf swing) and a professional actor (he was the handsome one).  I heard a rumor that the nine-hole executive layout there was designed by Rees Jones.  it was a beautiful little thing.

Ken Fry

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 09:11:16 PM »

Tom,

Signal Point is my old place.  It's just north of South Bend.  After I left The Warren at Notre Dame, I was the GM/Head Pro at Signal from 2001-2005.  It's a really nice Robert Bruce Harris course.  I know he doesn't get a lot of love here, but he did a nice job on the layout and provided nice variety with the teeing areas for playing the "back nine."  The only changes to the original 1964 layout are the elimination of a few bunkers.  Unfortunately the course does need a lot of tree removal.

As Jud mentioned, the greens are quite large to accommodate two flag locations.  Another oddity is the size of the collars.  I'm sure the collars have grown over time with mowing patterns but most greenside bunkers are quite far from the putting surfaces.  Many are positioned short of the greens.  Surprising is the undulation of the property.  There are quite a few uphill approach shots that make club selection a challenge.

Signal Point has had a fine collection of staff make their way through including Steve Glosinger of Caves Valley.  The current superintendent Ken Fraser does an amazing job.  Over the time he's been taking care of the course, he's been able to run the entire maintenance department, including wages, for around $120,000 per year.  With only about 70 members, he's forced to run a tight ship, but the conditions are great.

The only catch to Signal are the number of yearly rounds.  Dave Hettinga at The Dunes Club in New Buffalo and I would joke who got less play in a year.  We would beat him hands down with about 2500 rounds per year.  A full 18 should take no longer than 2 hours if you keep your ball in play.

If anyone is rolling through South Bend and looking for a fun, quick round of golf, call Signal Point.  The website contains some low resolution pictures and club info.       http://signalpointgolf.com

Ken

Jud_T

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 10:15:42 PM »

I have a question for anybody who might know; there was a 9-hole executive course built into a large lot smack in the middle of the Illinois Center area in downtown Chicago.  It was one of the most remarkable places to play golf I ever knew of.  You were stuck onto about 8 acres of grass, with tall (like, 40- or 50-story buildings all around you.  Surreal.  I hit balls one evening next to Ernie Banks.  I was in a commercial once, for Nevada Bob's Golf shops, filmed on that course.  It was me (they wanted one guy for a golf swing) and a professional actor (he was the handsome one).  I heard a rumor that the nine-hole executive layout there was designed by Rees Jones.  it was a beautiful little thing.

I believe you are referring to the lot off lower Wacker drive.  I never played the course, but if I'm correct it was plowed under and is now the foundation for the massive Calatrava Spire project which is on permahold... 

Chuck Brown

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 10:25:02 PM »

I believe you are referring to the lot off lower Wacker drive.  I never played the course, but if I'm correct it was plowed under and is now the foundation for the massive Calatrava Spire project which is on permahold...  

Well, it was close to Lower Wacker; just south of there.  And the Spire is acutally going up on a different lot, just north of there.  They have already built on the old place I am talking about.  But yes it was completely plowed under, as was inevitable, given the location.  They ran the place out of a double-wide as a "clubhouse."  It was wonderful.  The most remarkable urban golf oasis, in its own way, in the world, I'd say.  I always thought, "If C.B. Macdonald could see his old hometown now, and particularly this site, he'd be absolutely thrilled beyond all belief."
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:26:57 PM by Chuck Brown »

jonathan_becker

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 10:30:50 PM »
Chuck,

I remember seeing the course from a 737 in 1998.  I couldn't believe that golf was played right downtown. 

When I became a resident of the city in 2004, the course was gone.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 10:46:37 PM »
Perry Dye built the nine holes in downtown Chicago.  I am pretty sure it was just par-3 holes.

David Egan

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 10:52:23 PM »

I believe you are referring to the lot off lower Wacker drive.  I never played the course, but if I'm correct it was plowed under and is now the foundation for the massive Calatrava Spire project which is on permahold...  

Well, it was close to Lower Wacker; just south of there.  And the Spire is acutally going up on a different lot, just north of there.  They have already built on the old place I am talking about.  But yes it was completely plowed under, as was inevitable, given the location.  They ran the place out of a double-wide as a "clubhouse."  It was wonderful.  The most remarkable urban golf oasis, in its own way, in the world, I'd say.  I always thought, "If C.B. Macdonald could see his old hometown now, and particularly this site, he'd be absolutely thrilled beyond all belief."

I used to hit balls there 3-4 nights a week after work 10-12 years or so ago.  Hitting from the east tee with the skyline as a backdrop was fantastic.  I loved that place.  The little par three course was fun. I think it was designed by someone from the Dye family.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 11:01:08 PM »
Its seems amazing that Maine didn't have a single entry on this list.  Grindstone Neck made quite an impression on me, as did Abenakee.  I didn't get to see North Haven, but by the look of these pictures it sure looks like a great course:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,25025.0/

Tom MacWood

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 11:04:47 PM »
I'm surprised Culver Academy did not make the list. I'm not sure its as good as The Dunes, but its pretty close.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back