News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

Royal Worlington & Newmarket: Darwin’s “Sacred Nine”
« on: February 11, 2010, 08:37:02 AM »
I managed to get over to play Royal Worlington & Newmarket recently. The course is famed as the home of the Cambridge University golf team, well loved by Darwin, and perhaps the best 9 hole course in the World? The club was founded in 1893 and was originally laid out by Tom Dunn. Harry Colt was called upon in 1920 to make amendments which is appropriate as he studied at Cambridge University, however it appears that this was the first time he had seen the course as it was only adopted as the home of the Blues after he had left university.

Apologies for the quality of some of these photos! It started off as a very damp and overcast day, so check out the Courses by Country write up by Ran as well:
http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/england/rwn

Here’s a view of the clubhouse, along with a rather empty car park…

Hole 1
480 yards
Bogey 5
First impressions may be that everything is rather flat? The first hole stretches out ion front of us, with the road running down the right, a classic old fashioned cross bunker to catch the topped drive, and a few other bunkers seemingly scattered about the place.

Here’s a closer luck at that cross bunker

A good drive leaves the green within reach in two for the longer hitters, but for anyone laying up there are again plenty of bunkers to concentrate the mind

Royal Worlington really comes across as a bastion of the traditional values of a golf club, but certainly in a character filled, charming way. Si I was slightly surprised to wander past a sprinkler head and see a yardage on it?

So if the first hole has seemed a little flat, its when you get to the green that you realise not everything is as flat as it seems. The greens are all full of interesting contours that will test even the best putter.

Hole 2
224 yards
Bogey 3
The second is a very good par 3. The drive is over some undulating ground but then the last 50 yards or so are fairway leading towards a green that is raised up, creating drop offs on all sides. Here is a view from the fairway just short of the green

This is the drop off over the back

Hole 3
371 yards
Bogey 4
The tee to this medium short par 4 is tucked into the corner of the property as can bee seen on this picture from the second green

The tee shot is then back over the second green, over two cross bunkers probably about 30 yards past the second green, and to a fairway with trees and a pond to the right and a hollow running up the left hand side.

The fairway narrows at about 260 yards with a fairway bunker left and a pond down in a hollow to the right. The approach to the green is then over another hollow with a stream running down the middle to a green raised up, protected front left by a bunker and falling away to the front and right.

This picture shows the proximity of the seventh green to the third green, separated by only a bunker

Hole 4
492 yards
Bogey 5
A walk through a small wooded area, brings you out at the fourth tee. This hole plays down the right side of a tree lined corridor with the sixth coming back the other way on the left as seen from the tee, with the fifth playing across the corridor at the far end. There are various bunkers down the middle between these holes along what is very much a shared fairway.

From the fairway any approach to the green is partly blind with only the flagstick sticking up above raised ground short of the green. This is the view from just short of the green

This picture taken from the fifth green shows the slope short of the green (line of play is from the right of the photo). Having twice got close to the green and then tried a delicate pitch down the slope, I suspect the smart play is to lay back and have a pretty full shot in to the green, to stop you from trying to be too cute with the approach? This picture also shows the small stream behind and to the right side of the fourth green and the fifth tee on the far side.

Hole 5
155 yards
Bogey 3
What a cracking short hole this one is! The tee shot is over the previous green, and to a green that is only 155 yards away, but the green must be only about 10 yards wide and with drop offs on both sides so only a perfect shot will do.

From just short of the green, it all starts to become clear. There are several different tiers to the green stepping up towards the back, and the fall off to each side are cut to fairway length. Left is down to a grassy pit, right is rough and a stream beyond (though should be out of reach to all but the very worst shot)

Looking from the back left shows the drop off to this side clearer

And then from the back right also

Just a slight pull or push will mean the ball catches the edge of the green but runs away leaving you with the choice of a bump and run up the slope or a higher shot carried all the way. Either way though, there is a fair chance that unless you’ve a sharp short game your next shot could be from the hollow on the other side?

Hole 6
460 yards
Bogey 5 / Par 4
You will have noticed that Royal Worlington still use bogey instead of par. The sixth, along with the eighth are the two holes that have a par designation one shot less than their bogey designation, as there are a few references to par at the club. The drive here is across the line of play of the previous hole, with the fifth green off to the right. Trees tight on the right, and bunkers and the fourth fairway off to the left.

The trees are very tight on the approach to the green, with plenty of bunkers off to the left to catch anyone not brave enough

This picture shows how everything opens up again once you get past the trees

Hole 7
163 yards
Bogey 3
After the last 3 holes within the tree lined playing corridor, the seventh tees off from within the trees, to a green set back out in the more open country. The shot is played across a wide hollow, similar to the one to the left of the third hole, proving that though the land appears flat on first impression, there is plenty of character to the landscape. This is the view from just short of the green, after coming up out of the hollow

And the view back from behind the green, with the tee in the trees

Hole 8
461 yards
Bogey 5 / Par 4
Another tough long par 4 that receives the bogey 5 designation! The tee shot here is just over the corner of the previous green.

The fairway bunkers left and right, are reasonably deep leaving the only real option of trying to just advance your recovery down the fairway, though in this case, it may prevent you from getting into the cross bunkers up ahead.

View of the green from level with the 3 cross bunkers about 90 yards short of the green

Hole 9
317 yards
Bogey 4
A short par 4 to finish and certainly a birdie chance, but plenty of room for a higher score also! First there is a small walk back to the tee from the previous hole, which is a little surprising as almost all the other holes have tees pretty close to the previous green. The drive is then to a fairway set at an angle off to the right. Play safe left and you will probably run out of fairway, so take on the corner as much as you dare, or perhaps a fade would be ideal. A ditch catches anyone trying to take on too much.

A good drive will leave a short iron or a pitch to a green sitting in front of the clubhouse. However, there are two things that are quite apparent. Firstly the road that has to be played over and secondly the wicked tilt of the green from left to right. The road is a public road, and I would love to know what happens when a group of low handicap university students turn up and all start trying to knock their drives close to the green?!  ::)

This view from behind the green, shows the steepness of the tilt to the green, so even if your pitch is close to the holes, there’s no guarantee of that birdie.

So for the nine holes that’s 3,123 yards and a Bogey of 37 or a par of 35, giving a total for a full eighteen holes as 6,246 yards and Bogey 74 or Par 70.

Is it the best 9 hole course in the World? I can’t comment on that, but of the nine hole courses I’ve played in Britain, I enjoyed Charnwood Forest and the history of Mussleburgh Old, but there is certainly more interest for us GCA geeks over this very small area of land at Royal Worlington than any other 9 hole course I’ve played!

Cheers,

James

« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 08:58:12 AM by James Boon »
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Bill_McBride

Re: Royal Worlington & Newmarket: Darwin’s “Sacred Nine”
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 08:47:24 AM »
Thanks for the excellent photo tour, James, what a low key fun place that appears to be!

By the way, I think the course was Darwin's SACRED nine, not SCARED nine!   ;D

John_Cullum

Re: Royal Worlington & Newmarket: Darwin’s “Scared Nine”
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 08:49:46 AM »
Darwin gave the 5th high praise and Tom Doak waxes poetically about the place, and it's off to the Kool Aid. Drink up men
Raynor was a hack

JNC Lyon

Re: Royal Worlington & Newmarket: Darwin’s “Scared Nine”
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 08:52:43 AM »
My only question about the course: is it worth the trip from London to Cambridge?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

James Boon

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 08:59:15 AM »
Thanks for the excellent photo tour, James, what a low key fun place that appears to be!

By the way, I think the course was Darwin's SACRED nine, not SCARED nine!   ;D

Thanks Bill, I've changed the title!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
It's well worth the trips from London to Cambridge and Cambridge to Mildenhall (those in the US Air Force could fly in). The club is unusual in that few of its members are local and your subscription varies according to how far away from the club you live. It's a bit like the R&A with members coming from all over the country for the important meetings. Normally match play rules the roost and the pace of play is encouragingly brisk. Thanks, James, for the pics - I love the place.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 05:51:06 PM »
Will turning up on a Sunday afternoon (say 4 PM or so) in August get me on the course?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 08:04:21 PM »
Ulrich:

You had better write them in advance.  I don't know what it's like in August, but in general, they honor formality.  I don't even remember if they have a pro shop ... as I recall you have to pop in to see the club secretary regardless of who you are.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:35:03 PM by Tom_Doak »

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 10:03:51 PM »
James

Thanks for the photo tour

Is it easy to find in the era of the GPS ?

I know I was lucky to stumble across it back in 04

James Boon

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 03:35:49 AM »
Ulrich,

As Tom says, getting in touch in advance is a good idea.

I contacted the secretary by e-mail only a few days before I played and he was happy to accept me to pretty much turn up when I wanted, but then thats not suprising in mid February! He was also very apologetic that he wouldn't be able to greet me in person.

Tom,

There was a pro shop but they don't appear to bother opening at this time of year as it was closed when I was there.

Kevin,

I must admit I don't blindly follow Sat Nav to get me anywhere. But I did spend plenty of time looking over the aerial photos on Google Earth / Maps so I don't totally ignore the technology. Royal Worlington does feel a bit off the beaten track, but as Mark mentions earlier its not a million miles away from RAF Mildenhall, the American Air Force base, so when you see plenty of people driving massive left hand drive trucks, and the occasional stars and stripes flying, you wont be far off  ;)

Cheers,

James

Tom MacWood

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 06:15:49 AM »
Great pictures, what was the temperature like when you took those photos?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 10:41:09 AM »
Ulrich, If you are in the area of Mildenhall and are looking for other golf, have a look at Gog Magog just outside Cambridge and Thetford. Both enjoy well-drained turf and Gog Magog is surprisingly hilly for such flat country (giving extensive views). Thetford is Breckland - gravel based - and therefore plays much like a heathland course. If my memory serves me rightly it was a design of CH Mayo, later modified by Donald Steel.

Jud_T

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 11:18:32 AM »
James,

Thanx for the tour.  This is on a pretty short list of must play courses sometime in my life.....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 03:12:22 PM »
Mark,

yes, I am planning to play Gog Magog, if I can get on. Thought I might have time for another quick 9 at Royal Worlington in the afternoon ... :)

Ulrich

James Boon

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 04:26:47 AM »
Great pictures, what was the temperature like when you took those photos?

Tom,

Though we've had plenty of cold weather recently, it was actually quite mild that day, about 7 or 8 deg C. It was though very overcast and damp for most of the time so there are a few wet spots on the lense and I needed to brighten most of the photos I took when the sun wasn't out.

Cheers,

James

Philip Gawith

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 05:17:50 AM »
I played there for the first time around November and it is definitely worth the effort. I was playing with a member which helps access but he did tell me how little play there was on the course so i would think you will get on Ulrich provided you observe the formalities. Tom is right - no idle indulgence like a pro shop! If you forgive the word, it is the quintessence of a certain type of English amateur golf and club of the traditional sort. I really enjoyed the course - with the 5th being the hole that really stands out in the memory - just a wonderful, distinctive green.

Incidentally, there is a good read across from this thread to the Ted Dexter/speed of golf thread. Maybe one point that sometimes goes missing in these transatlantic speed of play discussions is the fact that many US courses are closed in winter. In the UK, meanwhile, courses are seldom closed at this time and, indeed, winter is traditionally when most competitive amatuer golf is played. But it is cold, so there is a premium on getting round the course fast. Quick play/matchplay/foursomes/winter golf/traditional clubs - they are all bound up together.

Ben Sims

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 11:10:05 PM »
You got to be kidding me right?!? >:(

I thought I was a GCA freak.  I thought I knew of every conceivable way to steal my way onto a great course through free--Air Force--travel. 

I was deployed to Mildenhall AB for a month in March of '08, while I was still a lurker here.  I was around 2 clicks as the crow flies from this gem and didn't even know it was there.  Thanks James.

James Boon

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 05:17:58 PM »
Ben,

Shame you missed out! Maybe you can try and get a posting to RAF Lakenheath which is also just up the road  ;D

Maybe you can answer this one for me? Why do we still refer to these bases as say RAF Mildenhall, when in fact they are US Air Force bases?

My only question about the course: is it worth the trip from London to Cambridge?

JNC, sorry missed this question some time ago. I'd certainly make the effort to play RW&NGC again. Not sure how easy it is to get to by train (probably on a par with Prestwick?  ;D ) but its a real typically English old golf club. However, if you only have a certain amount of time over here and you've already got the likes of Huntercombe and Swinley under your belt, perhaps there are other places to try before here?

Cheers,

James

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 06:22:44 PM »
Well, I wrote the secretary and got on, Sunday morning and all. He was even interested if I would be writing a review of the course (I will) and how I came to know about the place. And he'll get me a game with some members. I must say, a very agreeable experience and I'm certainly looking forward to August 1st :)

Ulrich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back