News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Re: Swinley Forest - photos
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2010, 01:05:59 PM »
Those still look a lot like cart paths. 

George Freeman

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2010, 01:17:23 PM »
edited below
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 01:19:32 PM by George Freeman »
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

George Freeman

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2010, 01:19:15 PM »
The 17th is the final par three and probably the most intimidating of the tee shots.  The hole is only 170 yards, but the green looks really difficult to hit.  The bunker on the right ends well before the green.  Several bunkers left and one behind the green.  

The deception of that front right bunker is truly awesome.  From the tee it appears that there is nowhere to miss, but it looks like once you get past the visual deception of that bunker, short right would be the bail out??

Thanks for the great photo tour John.  Swinley Forest looks amazing.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

John Mayhugh

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2010, 01:27:42 PM »
George,
On 17, the miss would be short right.  Green high and right is a decent-sized drop off, though not as bad as the one on the left.

Carl,
Some of what you see in the aerials are access roads and not used for play of the course.  And they call carts buggies over there.   ;)

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2011, 10:50:22 AM »
Wow, I never read this thread back when it was posted.  But after my trip this summer and the chance to play Swinley Forest I just finished reading it with much interest.  Great details, and pictures, I have a ton of pics myself, but probably not a lot to add to John's.  I may post some more on here eventually, but I just wanted to echo others comments on here when I said thank you for the time and effort putting this together.

It brought back a lot of great memories from my day there.

It was a great way to spend some leisure time on Thanksgivng sitting with my laptop in an easy chair, Football on the TV and reliving the day from Swinley Forest, thanks...
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

John Mayhugh

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2011, 09:32:56 PM »
Thanks, Daryl.  I suspect it's tough to take a bad picture of Swinley Forest!  One of my favorites.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2011, 10:43:03 AM »
John, I've taken some bad pictures of Swinley! It was mid-summer 1999, the weather was foul, no light, low clouds, torrential rain. In those days you only got 36 slides to one roll of film and you couldn't just bang away in the hope that one or two usable photos might be obtained.

But you remind me. I still have my old SCSI slide scanner and an even older computer. I might just get some of those hundreds of dark-ages slides out and make up a Christmas Quiz.....

Dieter Jones

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2011, 06:52:28 AM »
Wow John. looks great.

Even from just veiwing your photos the place seems to have a special feel about it.

I think I heard Geoff Ogilvy describe it as his favourite course (or one of) in the world today.
Never argue with an idiot. They will simply bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back