News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Klein

PGA Show overview
« on: January 30, 2011, 10:02:49 PM »
Just got back from my 17th consecutive PGA Show. They are always fascinating, often frustrating, but at least this one had some interesting and different takes on the game:

My account, just posted on Golfweek.com:

http://www.golfweek.com/news/2011/jan/30/2011-pga-show-wrap-golfs-new-sensibility

Brad Klein

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 10:23:49 PM by Brad Klein »

Dean Stokes

Re: PGA Show overview
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 10:07:29 PM »
This was the first one I haven't been to in ten years as it was getting stale....I heard this year was somewhat better and certainly more encouraging. Got to be a good sign eh?
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 10:16:30 PM »
I like those new True golf shoes. I think Ryan Moore wears them. I have a pair of the Ecco Freddy Couples shoe. By the way, Moore left Scratch for Adams.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 10:18:22 PM »
Great to hear Rob Rigg had a big show. I love my Trues!

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
Just got back from my 17th consecutive PGA Show. They are always fascinating, often frustrating, but at least this one had some interesting and different takes on the game:

My account, just posted on Golfweek.com:

http://www.golfweek.com/news/2011/jan/30/2011-pga-show-wrap-golfs-new-sensibility

Brad Klein

For starters, The game doesn't need a relaxed set of alternate rules....
It needs to shed itself of the army of used car salesmen hawking anything and everything and basing their business model on a golfer thinking he can buy 10 more yards every year for $500(which he could for awhile) and decouple from the real estate and stupid clubhouse world.
While "growing the game" sounds really noble, the "golf boom" was anything but noble.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Richard Choi

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 10:54:10 PM »
Hear hear for Riggs. I can't wait to try out my True Links shoes as soon as things dry out a bit...

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 10:55:25 PM »
Brad
Do you view the PGA more worthy than the GIS?
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 11:11:51 PM »
Good to hear the golf industry is turning around, like most other consumer based industries these days.

Also, nice shout-out for True Golf. Hope their product really takes off!
H.P.S.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 11:23:50 PM »
Big thanks to Brad for mentioning TRUE linkswear in his article - it was great chatting with him, talking about our story and discussing a little bit of GCA in the TRUE booth!

Thanks for all the kind words guys - it was a big show for us and I hope it does not prevent me from teeing it with fellow GCA'ers this summer :)

Rich - Get out there - they're waterproof!

Terry Thornton

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 11:37:39 PM »
Been using Truelinks for the last 2 months, very easy on the feet. For those attending Boomerang I can attest that they work 'upside down'

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 11:48:57 PM »
Love the idea of the shoes, but I hate the idea that golf has to market itself as "not golf." I know we need to find ways to bring kids into the game, but do we really have to promote the game as vegetables disguised as candy?
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Matt Day

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 11:56:46 PM »
Its a shame that the PGA show, then the GCSAA show and then the managers show are all held in Orange County but are spread over a period of about 6 weeks. As a prospective overseas visitor it would have been great if at least 2 of the 3 of them were only a week apart, could of then gone to at least two of them and made the journey really worthwhile.

Brad Klein

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 03:12:18 AM »
Mike Nuzzo,

I went to every GCSAA/GIS Show 1997-2007 and found them generally more sobering, more educational and more valuable than the PGA Shows. But I also always found their contrasting styles worth writing about as well. Each has its excessive moments, the PGA Show more so, and each has its educational moments, the GCSAA/GIS more so. Because of scheduling, travel time/budgets and editorial commitments I have been unable to attend and cover these last few GCSAA/GUIS Shows but hope to get back there next year.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 07:56:40 AM »
Thanks, Brad - very nicely done, and a concise state of the game address.

I wonder if it's possible to get back the cherub-sized shrimp while avoiding another silicon valley legend....

Peter

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 09:33:08 AM »
I will be looking for those shoes at the first opportunity.

I recall Arnold Palmer saying that he loved golf so much that he even loved the blisters he got from breaking in new golf shoes.  I never shared that sentiment.  If the feet hurt, you just cannot enjoy golf.  Those shoes may do more to spur a golf revolution than any single thing, IMHO.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 10:15:54 AM »
Thank you Brad
I think I'd rather see you writing about the GIS.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Jud_T

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 01:36:58 PM »
Nice to hear GCAer Ari Techner on PGA network from the show as well...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Smolens

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 01:42:10 PM »
Let me third (or is it fourth?) the rec for the True Links shoes. Can't wait till I can get a pair in Northwestern purple!

Will MacEwen

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 03:29:55 PM »
I must be a bit of a dinosaur because I'm looking forward to the Allen Edmonds leather-soled shoes.

I may get a pair of Trues at some point though, and congrats to Rob on getting this much buzz.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back