News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Re: Taking Quality GC Pictures
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 11:07:55 PM »
-If you take a picture with a nice looking sky, copy and paste it onto all your other photos.

AND NO ONE WILL NOTICE...

-take each picture with two exposures.  copy any shadowey areas from the high exposure photograph to the low exposure photograph.

SEE ABOVE...
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

David_Elvins

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 11:15:34 PM »
-If you take a picture with a nice looking sky, copy and paste it onto all your other photos.
AND NO ONE WILL NOTICE...

-take each picture with two exposures.  copy any shadowey areas from the high exposure photograph to the low exposure photograph.
SEE ABOVE...

You don't agree?  Why do you think the photos in all those nice golf books look so good?
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 01:40:28 AM »
Stein, Plumart, et al who want to put them up here...

It's better if you simply post a link to your account on Photobucket, Picassa, whereevuh...that way, the thread doesn't get monstrously long and the server space doesn't get used up.  I know that this is a randy suggestion, but it's what I've done with all my photos and it seems to work well.  For example:  http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f140/buffalogolfer/

Ronald sorry but I have to disagree.  I'll often get hooked into a thread with  a course profile with pictures that have captions/commentary on the holes.  I almost never follow the link to a bunch of photo's which have to be individually opened and where I've no idea what I'm looking at.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 02:00:33 AM »
Stein, Plumart, et al who want to put them up here...

It's better if you simply post a link to your account on Photobucket, Picassa, whereevuh...that way, the thread doesn't get monstrously long and the server space doesn't get used up.  I know that this is a randy suggestion, but it's what I've done with all my photos and it seems to work well.  For example:  http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f140/buffalogolfer/

Ronald sorry but I have to disagree.  I'll often get hooked into a thread with  a course profile with pictures that have captions/commentary on the holes.  I almost never follow the link to a bunch of photo's which have to be individually opened and where I've no idea what I'm looking at.

I am with Tony.  I quickly stop looking at pix which aren't labeled nor do I go to links with pix. 

Personally, so far as golf goes, I am not interested in pix which are not from a golfer's PoV.  So far as taking good pix goes, it really depends a lot on the weather - I never alter my pix.  Also, one has to take a fair number of pix and usually one or two are good - good enough to keep.  I dump nearly all of the pix I take so if the threads disappear so will the pix.  Also, I will not pay for photobucket etc so when my free account is full its lights out. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 06:44:03 AM »
Well, I guess we know what the Muldoons and Arbles of the world think of my suggestion!  OK, here's my next preference...do a hole-by-hole commentary, as Anthony Gray is currently doing with Chambers Bay (It's like Dr. Seuss...Gray...Bay).  It's one hole at a time.

I do understand the painstaking effort required to reformat images (usually about 36) to show each hole from tee to green.  Nuances will require more.  I shoot in quantity, often firing the same subject from a slightly different (closer/farther/askew) angle and haven't yet found the time to label.  If someone were to inquire "Hey, Ronaldo, what hole is 4567.jpg" I would certainly determine and respond.

Good luck, shooters!
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mark Alexander

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2010, 08:25:45 AM »
I think Clint summed it up nicely - a big part of photography is understanding why you're taking the shots in the first place. For instance, if you want to record a round, there isn't anything wrong with taking a point-and-shoot camera and clicking away, as long as it doesn't hold up play. The results won't win any awards, but they'll do the trick.
If you want to capture a course at its best, you'd have to set your alarm for 4am, lug a bunch of gear around, climb to every conceivably vantage point and spend a similar amount of time in a darkened room making sure the images turn out the way you hoped. If you're on a week-long tour with the boys, I don't see that working too well.

Ed Oden

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2010, 09:12:05 AM »
Ron, I now always resize my photos.  Its actually the LEAST time consuming part of posting them here.  Once I have all my pics ready to go, I type the resize info once, copy it and and paste it in each one.  Probably takes me less than a minute for 36 pictures.  And for an even easier method, when I am doing a long post like a photo tour, I usually type it up as a Word document for convenience of spell checking, saving, etc.  Once all my pics are loaded into the Word doc it takes about 10 seconds to globally replace "[IMG]" with "[IMG width=800 height=535]".  When I'm finished I can copy the entire Word doc into my post.

Sean, as for altering pics, I wish more people would do so.  Changes which help me see the course are a plus in my book.  So I am all for adjusting brightness and contrast when exposure on the original photo was compromised by sunlight or cropping photos to zoom in on long shots or to remove unwanted items (e.g., carts, shadows of the photographer, glare).  This isn't deceitful, but rather helpful.  The guys on this site take a great deal of time and effort to carefully present their thoughts in a way that makes sense to others.  Why wouldn't we do the same to photos intended as visual aids to those thoughts?

Ed
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 08:51:03 PM by Ed Oden »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2010, 09:23:14 AM »
I am OK with adjusting brightness and contrast...I can't justify pasting a new sky into a photo.  I realize that it doesn't compromise the integrity of the course, but it is another step onto the road to perdition of deceit in my holy book of personal integrity.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Troy Alderson

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2010, 02:56:28 PM »
Quote from: Troy Alderson on Today at 11:12:35 AM
do not face the sun.

Mark and Aidan,

I stand corrected.  Though I did not mean it to be a hard fast rule to keep the sun behind you.  I am trying to help people with no photography experience.  As a general rule keep the sun behind you, buy there are always exceptions.

Troy

Mark Alexander

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 06:17:25 PM »
Troy,

Thought I'd thrown this one in to echo your point, however I would suggest framing a shot so that the sun is at right angles to your scene provides a better result than shooting with the sun over your shoulder.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 06:30:08 PM »
Any "amateur quick tips" on how to get at least a decent result, when shooting into the sun?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Sean_A

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 06:42:59 PM »
Ron, I now always resize my photos.  Its actually the LEAST time consuming part of posting them here.  Once I have all my pics ready to go, I type the resize info once, copy it and and paste it in each one.  Probably takes me less than a minute for 36 pictures.  And for an even easier method, when I am doing a long post like a photo tour, I usually type it up as a Word document for convenience of spell checking, saving, etc.  Once all my pics are loaded into the Word doc it takes about 10 seconds to globally replace "[IMG]" with "[IMG width=800 height=535]".  When I'm finished I can copy the entire Word doc into my post.

Sean, as for altering pics, I wish more people would do so.  Changes which help me see the course are a plus in my book.  So I am all for adjusting brightness and contrast when exposure on the original photo was compromised by sunlight or cropping photos to remove zoom in on long shots or to remove unwanted items (e.g., carts, shadows of the photographer, glare).  This isn't deceitful, but rather helpful.  The guys on this site take a great deal of time and effort to carefully present their thoughts in a way that makes sense to others.  Why wouldn't we do the same to photos intended as visual aids to those thoughts?

Ed

Ed

The honest answer is I can't be bothered.  I recognize the shortcomings of my photography and have learned to interpret the photos of others.  It isn't a perfect system, but it'll do. 

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Troy Alderson

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2010, 07:13:33 PM »
Troy,

Thought I'd thrown this one in to echo your point, however I would suggest framing a shot so that the sun is at right angles to your scene provides a better result than shooting with the sun over your shoulder.

Nice picture Mark.  Each of the pictures posted that are into the sun, have the sun behind a tree to mask the effect of the glare.  Imagine your shot and Aidan's without the tree and the affect on the photo.  I agree that  a picture with the sun to the left or right is best to cast shadows that give depth to the photo.

Troy

Ed Oden

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2010, 10:30:14 PM »
Sean, that's perfectly understandable and I can't blame you or anyone else for taking such a stance.  As for me, there is nothing quite like a well done course review with high quality photos.  When I open a thread and find the pictures suck my interest goes way down.  The commentary has to be really good to overcome such a shortcoming.  By the way, I think you sell your photography skills way short.  The pics in your photo tours are typically outstanding.

Best wishes,

Ed

Pete_Pittock

Re: Taking Quality GC Pictures New
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2010, 09:06:30 PM »
Saw pictures of High Dynamic Range (HDR) photography on another site and this technique with software makes exceptional pictures. Basically you autobracket the scene using tripod mount and then stitch the photos into a final image. I will provide a link to a tutorial which explains the process and has before/after results.

http://www.stuckincustoms.com/hdr-tutorial/
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 10:51:02 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2010, 10:50:19 PM »
Try to take photos of courses that Aidan has not been to...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back