News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

Golf in Denmark?
« on: August 28, 2010, 05:47:45 AM »
I watched the latest episode of the BBC's Coast programme a couple of nights ago (the series has previously been mentioned on here after a small piece on Askernish a few years ago). Here is a link to the whole programme, I hope it works for everyone:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tl54h/Coast_Series_5_Denmark/

Now other than a weekend trip to Copenhagen and a love of Arne Jacobsen'd buildings and furniture, I know very little about the country. As far as golf in concerened I can honestly say I've never heard a Danish course being mentioned in these circles, and yet virtually the whole western coast of the country seems to be amazing sand dunes!

I couldn't help watching the show, and just picturing the possibilities for some amazing links courses!

Colt, Simpson and others ventured to Europe to build some great courses, some in the dunes of France, Belgium and Holland. So I find it hard that no one ventured further north east to Denmark? Is it as simple as Denmark just isn't a big golfing country (apart from Thomas Bjorn  ;) )or is there some other consideration, anyone know? I suspect with various environmental concerns it would be tricky to build such a links course there now, but if Mr Keiser or Parsinen are reading this...

I'd be interested to hear what others think?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Gary Slatter

Re: Golf in Denmark?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 07:25:58 AM »
I watched the latest episode of the BBC's Coast programme a couple of nights ago (the series has previously been mentioned on here after a small piece on Askernish a few years ago). Here is a link to the whole programme, I hope it works for everyone:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tl54h/Coast_Series_5_Denmark/

Now other than a weekend trip to Copenhagen and a love of Arne Jacobsen'd buildings and furniture, I know very little about the country. As far as golf in concerened I can honestly say I've never heard a Danish course being mentioned in these circles, and yet virtually the whole western coast of the country seems to be amazing sand dunes!

I couldn't help watching the show, and just picturing the possibilities for some amazing links courses!

Colt, Simpson and others ventured to Europe to build some great courses, some in the dunes of France, Belgium and Holland. So I find it hard that no one ventured further north east to Denmark? Is it as simple as Denmark just isn't a big golfing country (apart from Thomas Bjorn  ;) )or is there some other consideration, anyone know? I suspect with various environmental concerns it would be tricky to build such a links course there now, but if Mr Keiser or Parsinen are reading this...

I'd be interested to hear what others think?

Cheers,

James
Many years ago (1973 Danish OPen for the BP Cup) I played a very good course in Denmark, the clubhouse was a half mile walk from the car park.
It was in the Queen's Deer Park.  Fast and firm conditions to prevent hoof marks on the greens.  26 birdies, came second to Angel Gallardo.
Not sure if it's Copenhagen Golf Club.  There was also one called Rungsted which was OK.

I'd imagine it would be difficult to get approvals but there are some great sandy areas in the west.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 08:37:26 AM »
The only course in those dunes in Denmark is Fanř, which dates from 1901. Why there wasn't more built back in the day, I don't know - I can only assume there wasn't enough demand - but now they are all entirely protected. It's much the same in Germany - Budersand on Sylt, which is really terrific and a true links, was only made possible because the property was formerly a military base, and the project resulted in the restoration of a dune landscape (which is what the whole of the rest of that side of the island it).

Elsewhere in Denmark, there are some very good new courses. Lubker, near Aarhus, built by Bruce Charlton of RTJII on a beautiful sandy site, is excellent, and his new Scandinavian Golf Club near Copenhagen is good too. I would like to see the new Stensballegaard course, also near Aarhus, designed by Rick Baril of the von Hagge company, which has instituted a no-rake policy in its bunkers, and has a really well done policy document explaining to golfers why - viz that bunkers are intended to be hazards! GCA poster Philip Spogard has moved back to his native country in the last year, and I trust he'll do some excellent work there in the future (and will also have forgotten far more about Danish golf than I know!)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 08:50:34 AM »
Adam,

Thanks for the overview on Denmark Golf! I've always been intrigued by the golf in that regiion. The short season, temps and sunlight concerns must present some challenges to growing turf, especially establishing it. I guess Scotland certainly isn't an easy place either, especially up in the Highlands, but places like Castle Stuart seem able to grow a good sward there.

Are any CGA'ers aware of any publications or websites that are in English ,or have an English language option to learn/read more on the golf scene in Denmark, Sweden, Norway etc.?

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Joe Andriole

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 04:11:50 AM »
Currently in Copenhagen with Ran (Golf's Most Beloved??) experiencing Scandinavia and some of its golf courses.  Interesting round at Falsterbo yesterday. I'll not pre empt Ran's profile which will certainly ensue.  We are playing at Fano golfklub tomorrow a small, old links on a western Danish island that reportedly hosted the first national open on the European continent. It will be our only sampling of Danish golf.

Interesting country here though I do not understand how one affords it

Tim Nugent

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 05:44:47 AM »
Adam,

Thanks for the overview on Denmark Golf! I've always been intrigued by the golf in that regiion. The short season, temps and sunlight concerns must present some challenges to growing turf, especially establishing it. I guess Scotland certainly isn't an easy place either, especially up in the Highlands, but places like Castle Stuart seem able to grow a good sward there.

Are any CGA'ers aware of any publications or websites that are in English ,or have an English language option to learn/read more on the golf scene in Denmark, Sweden, Norway etc.?

Cheers,
Kris 8)

Kris, I'm currently in Helsinki building a course and the days are still longer than back home Chicago. and when they become shorter, there will be very little golf being played in Chicago.  Also, being slightly cooler, there would be less disease pressure and water requirements.
Coasting is a downhill process

Chris Haspell

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 05:49:06 AM »
Hi James, an interesting post i too watched coast. I lived in Denmark for 12 years , greenkeeping, consulting and latterly designing and building courses . I worked for the DGU for  over 2 years as their consultant so i have a good knowledge of most of the courses new and old over there. Around Copenhagen the oldest courses of note are Royal Copenhagen which is indeed in the deer park , they have just undergone a greens and bunkers rebuild by , Mackenzie and Ebert, this is the oldest club in Scandinavia and well worth a visit, it is the longest walk from car park to clubhouse you will ever find but worth the walk,

Rungsted is nice old parkland number four at Rungsted is in my opinion one of the best par fours in Golf, and there are some other great holes too.

Falster Golf Club is a great parkland course and hour and 20 south of Copenhagen great routing in a great setting. on Sjealland some of the other old courses  worth a round are Helsingor, Gillileje, ,Koge  and there are many more. New courses that play hard and fast are Vallo, Greve, Smorum(not great design but close to links conditions) you also have the new course at Skjondelsholm which is RTJ 2 its tuff to play though, and then the newest as Adam suggested is the Scandianvian club, access to this course is very restricted. Simons was a Hawtree course of note but i know they are having agronomic problems right now.

If you are going to Jutland over Fyn then visit Odense golf club on the way there are some other good courses on Fyn too St Knuds is a nice old course adjacent to the sea and the motorway.

On Jutland you have lots of options Aalborg, is a regular for European competitions at all levels a heathland course with some nice holes, you have Holsterbro, Veijle , Esbjerg, Fano, Hvide Klit, to name some of the old ones, but others like Volstrup, Lubker, Horsens, Kolding are all worth a visit.

If you let me know where you are going James i can try and help guide you,

Cheers
Chris  

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 08:54:20 AM »
Tim,

Thanks for the comparative analysis! How is Finland's golf participation doing these days? Are the building restrictions as difficult as I've heard they can be in other European countries. What type of course are you creating?

I'm sure you are busy, so respond when you have time. I'll check the thread periodically.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 09:11:45 AM »
Kris,

Eric Franzén, who writes for Svensk Golf (Swedish Golf) magazine and I believe he is also member of this DG, would be the best person to give some info on golf in Sweden. Brian Phillips is based in Norway, so he must be very knowledgable about his neck of the woods.

Kyle Phillips, RTJ II, Donald Steele, Arthur Hills have all designed courses here, but the vast majority of courses have been designed by Swedish architects. Some of the most notable are Nils Sköld, Sune Lind, Rafael Sundblom, Peter Nordwall and Peter Chamberlain, to name but a few.

Tim Nugent

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 10:49:43 AM »
Tim,

Thanks for the comparative analysis! How is Finland's golf participation doing these days? Are the building restrictions as difficult as I've heard they can be in other European countries. What type of course are you creating?

I'm sure you are busy, so respond when you have time. I'll check the thread periodically.

Cheers,
Kris 8)

Kris, the course is/will be in Espoo right next to Helsinki. Named Tapiola - after the area it's in (which is an outstanding experiment Modern urban planning on it's own).  It took over 10 yrs from idea to groundbreaking - including opposition appeals that went all the way to the high court.  Luckily it is part of a landfill reconstruction so the government is involved (you don't hear that sentence very often).  Due to the nature of the site, it will be a waterless faux links style using abut 55 hA.  Not long at just over 6.000m (6,800+ yds) it has alot of medium length holes of every par (72) although the back has only 1-3 and 1-5. There will be 4 sets of conjoined fairways to afford some more room to the slice side of those holes. 4 sets of tees and 91 bunkers.  The greens very in size but generally have interesting internal contours. Fescues will be planted on a sand cap so expect F&F.
I'm here to do the shaping, we aren't using a golf course contractor.  Mr. Ilkka Kaivosoja, who spent many years with the F. Golf Assoc. is our project manager.
I'm hoping this will be a good example of how a course doesn't need to be 7,000+ to be successful and fun for a wide spectrum of players.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 12:30:17 PM »
Tim,

Tapiola, love the name. Sounds like a VERY COOL project! Wow, ten years in process...good things are worth the wait sometimes. Is it private or public? Any website or pics we can view? Courses such as the one you are building make total sense to me. Re-use of existing ground where practical, less resource consumption on smaller acreage, interesting golf...it all makes sense. Good on ya!

Is golf expanding participation wise there, are there any English language sites that one can get more info on Finnish golf?

Cheers,
Kris 8)

James Boon

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 12:33:49 PM »
Hi James, an interesting post i too watched coast. I lived in Denmark for 12 years , greenkeeping, consulting and latterly designing and building courses . I worked for the DGU for  over 2 years as their consultant so i have a good knowledge of most of the courses new and old over there. Around Copenhagen the oldest courses of note are Royal Copenhagen which is indeed in the deer park , they have just undergone a greens and bunkers rebuild by , Mackenzie and Ebert, this is the oldest club in Scandinavia and well worth a visit, it is the longest walk from car park to clubhouse you will ever find but worth the walk,

Rungsted is nice old parkland number four at Rungsted is in my opinion one of the best par fours in Golf, and there are some other great holes too.

Falster Golf Club is a great parkland course and hour and 20 south of Copenhagen great routing in a great setting. on Sjealland some of the other old courses  worth a round are Helsingor, Gillileje, ,Koge  and there are many more. New courses that play hard and fast are Vallo, Greve, Smorum(not great design but close to links conditions) you also have the new course at Skjondelsholm which is RTJ 2 its tuff to play though, and then the newest as Adam suggested is the Scandianvian club, access to this course is very restricted. Simons was a Hawtree course of note but i know they are having agronomic problems right now.

If you are going to Jutland over Fyn then visit Odense golf club on the way there are some other good courses on Fyn too St Knuds is a nice old course adjacent to the sea and the motorway.

On Jutland you have lots of options Aalborg, is a regular for European competitions at all levels a heathland course with some nice holes, you have Holsterbro, Veijle , Esbjerg, Fano, Hvide Klit, to name some of the old ones, but others like Volstrup, Lubker, Horsens, Kolding are all worth a visit.

If you let me know where you are going James i can try and help guide you,

Cheers
Chris  

Chris,

Thanks for the information and the offer. I'm not actually planning a trip to Denmark in the near future but I'd certainly like to go again at some point.

I just had to post something after watching Coast. I know I as well as others on here have often posted regarding a piece of land that just looks made for golf, but watching the TV the other night, virtually the whole western coast of Denmark looked made for golf!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 12:43:22 PM »
Have fun at Fanř, it is in my eyes a must play. Hard to get closer to golf how it was 100 years ago.

While in the area, Esbjerg is a great championship heathland course, but nothing you can't get in the UK. For those seeking the unique, I loved Blĺvandshuk's quirky holes through the pine forest. There is one par 4 with alternate fairways that is an absolute killer hole the like of which I've never seen anywhere else:

Believe me, this plays every bit as firm and fast as a links.

Ulrich
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 12:48:35 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tim Nugent

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
Kris, most of the course website have an English version if you lick on the Union Jack.  I seems that most courses here are membership courses but allow outside play.  I haven't seen many but most that I have were done by local or Swedish architects and are remenisent of of 1950-1970 style US courses.  One was an overcooked 80's modern and a very nice Tom McBroom late 90's effort.  The Finn's seem to  there and 2)they have to get somewhere.  Here they walk just to walk and be outside.  Probably why they appear much more fit than my countrymen - me included  :'(
No webcam etc. but maybe with all my downtime I'll finally take the time to figure out how use Photobucket and post some progress photos - athough those usually look like crap.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 02:21:41 PM »
Tim,

A portion of your response seems to have got lost/chopped up. I couldn't quite figure it out, could you repost that portion of your remarks. I believe others wanting to post photos, with limited website technical ability like myself, have gotten "coached" by the more adept and made headway. An open appeal, when needed, usually gets the desired result. Thanks again for your insights, I don't mean to be a pest.

Kris

Tim Nugent

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 02:52:09 PM »
Tim,

A portion of your response seems to have got lost/chopped up. I couldn't quite figure it out, could you repost that portion of your remarks. I believe others wanting to post photos, with limited website technical ability like myself, have gotten "coached" by the more adept and made headway. An open appeal, when needed, usually gets the desired result. Thanks again for your insights, I don't mean to be a pest.

Kris
Kris, most of the course website have an English version if you click on the Union Jack.  I seems that most courses here are membership courses but allow outside play.  I haven't seen many but most that I have were done by local or Swedish architects and are remenisent of of 1950-1970 style US courses.  One was an overcooked 80's modern and a very nice Tom McBroom late 90's effort.  The Finn's seem to  there and 2)they have to get somewhere.  Here they walk just to walk and be outside.  Probably why they appear much more fit than my countrymen - me included 
No webcam etc. but maybe with all my downtime I'll finally take the time to figure out how use Photobucket and post some progress photos - athough those usually look like crap.

Chris Haspell

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 04:29:22 AM »
James, Sorry i grabbed the wrong end of the stick ,lots of Coast line in Denmark is fit for golf, but the powers that be have a 500m no go zone , this takes care of most of the links land as you can imagine, Farms go right up to the coast in some areas and could make great sites, but they just dont give permission inside the 500m for these sites either anymore.
A golf course would probably have less enviromental impact but to the guys in charge that means nothing.

Happy golfing

Chris

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 09:17:16 AM »
Thanks for the infoTim... and the rest of the gang. If you need a little tech help posting photos, like I do, just appeal to the savvy on GCA and someone usually jumps right in to assist you through it! Really hope to get up to Northern Europe in the next couple of years. I know it's pricey, but the countries there really seem to do a lot of things well and the golf is certainly on the rise!

Cheers,
Kris 8)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back