News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Admussen

Re: Opening Day!
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 06:35:50 PM »
Plan on playing on Saturday if the weather holds out, will be my earliest Alberta round ever

Will MacEwen

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 06:49:01 PM »
We have been open pretty much all winter here on Vancouver Island.  However, I recently had 5 sunny days at Chambers and Bandon, and returning to the land of sloppy lies and embedded balls is a tough adjustment to make. 

jonathan_becker

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 07:43:30 PM »
Terry,

The club in my town doesn't open till saturday, but my debut is today.  5pm for 9 holes at the College of Wooster's L.C. Boles Memorial dogtrack!!  I can't wait.

Jonathan,

Good luck shooting either four under or four over at the Boles, those seem to be about the only scores available out there. Have fun, I'm sure the greens are super fast and the fairways are extremely tight. Oh the Boles...how I do not miss thee!

btw...I played my first real round of the year today at Brookside in Columbus. Not too shabby for not really touching a club for the past few months.

Matt,

I split the difference on your score prediction.  Plus, the turf was actually pretty dry.  This was the first time in my life that my debut round for the year resulted in dry shoes when all was said and done.  No mud either

JR Potts

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 09:22:38 PM »
I'm playing my first round tomorrow at Beverly, here in Chicago, where we're supposed to have our fourth consecutive nice day, followed by snow, rain and rampant depression on the weekend.  Has everybody gotten out for an Opening Day round in the northern part of the country?

No, have court all day....but funny, my phone never rang asking if I was available.  Hmmm.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 10:11:20 PM »
Our course opened today. Beautiful New England Spring day. Of course I played. I should have gone to the range...

Chris Flamion

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2010, 10:15:37 PM »
The total round actually went fairly well.  I had no concept of the speed of the greens so that alone was worth 5 strokes or so.  Probably the only round I can remember where I took 2 X's and 2 Pars in a 4 hole stretch.....

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 07:23:03 AM »
Your honor - I play my first here in DC Sunday.

Give Rick H. my best - hope you beat him!  He beat me like a rented mule for the two weeks we just played together in South Africa.

JC

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 07:51:46 AM »
Played 18 two weekends ago in Ellington, CT.  Almost all courses around Boston have been open since the beginning of March.   
Landscape Architect  //  Golf Course Architect

Kalen Braley

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 09:38:04 AM »
Pretty much everything is open here in the valleys of the SLC area.  The mountain courses are probably a month or two away depending on thier respective elevation.

Jon Nolan and I played a round two weekends ago and had a blast!!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 09:43:22 AM »
Played 18 two weekends ago in Ellington, CT.  Almost all courses around Boston have been open since the beginning of March.   

Incredible that courses in New England opened before a lot of courses in DC. . . .

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 09:56:36 AM »
" I bet you members beat your guests regularly"

Yes, and their wives, children and dogs too!

So good.  :P

RJ_Daley

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 10:40:03 PM »
Green Bay frozen tundra here.  A couple of our local hog wallows are open this week, but we are in a particularly clayey soil area and they are a greasy mess.  I didn't go this week, opting for some range time.  But, I tried to go yesterday after about noon, and I've never seen so many cars in the parking lot at this one particular course.  It looked like ever guy in town either ditched work or all the unemployed and retireds were there.  I drove on by to the range again. 

If I could only take my ball striking from the range mats to the soft gooey pudding turf each spring...  ::) ;D ;)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Steve Curry

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2010, 03:51:52 AM »
71 degrees and we opened at lunch time at Shuttle Meadow on March 19th.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2010, 06:47:01 AM »
hard to imagine you poor guys in the North of the States, living here near Melbourne, Aust, with year round golf, I would be chaffing at the bit if was had golf taken away from me for .....? 4-5 mths?

Enjoy your few rounds, hopefully with a nice oily swing.
@theflatsticker

Jason Topp

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2010, 07:05:17 AM »
hard to imagine you poor guys in the North of the States, living here near Melbourne, Aust, with year round golf, I would be chaffing at the bit if was had golf taken away from me for .....? 4-5 mths?

Enjoy your few rounds, hopefully with a nice oily swing.

Brett:

The one advantage of being forced to take time off is that it refreshes one's enthusiasm for the game.  When I lived in Arizona I played less golf than I do in Minnesota, in part because I could play every day.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2010, 02:12:39 PM »
Beverly was reasonably dry and firm yesterday, with only a first cut of the greens, so we had very slow greens but the balls were bouncing a little bit.  I ripped a few adhesions, tightened up the longitudinal ligaments alongside my lumbar spine and self-medicated with 4 Advil and a couple pints.  Felt great to be out there again!

Today?  Cold, wet snow.  The weather here this time of year changes quicker than a politician's position on the issues!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jason Hines

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2010, 05:27:11 PM »
5" of snow here in KC on the first day of spring. >:(

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2010, 10:07:21 PM »
Played today 2 hours south of Calgary, 14c/57f and really dry, windy

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back