News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Rosapenna: New Strand nine holes
« on: October 22, 2009, 12:27:25 PM »
Stumbled across this link on YouTube which captures the beauty of the new Strand nine at Rosapenna. I have to say, it look very nice indeed. The terrain and bunkering looks like it will complement the valley holes of the old course. From a previous topic, Tom Doak mentioned that Eric Iverson supervised and rebuilt all nine greens (with one green being relocated) with a little help from George Walters.

Tom D: Could you tell us which green was moved and why?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogwdCrmX5Ck

It will be interesting to how this Strand-Valley course is perceived alongside it bigger bolder brother, the Sandy Hills course.

Hole   Length   Par
1st   418   4
2nd    151   3
3rd    415   4
4th    410   4
5th   396   4
6th   433   4
7th   161   3
8th   502   5
9th   349   4
Total      35

Dónal.

Paul_Turner

Re: Rosapenna: New Strand nine holes
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 12:37:52 PM »
Donal

who did the original Strand 9?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 12:41:51 PM »
Pat Ruddy designed the course. I think the greens staff laid the greens and that's probably why Tom Doak was brought in. I expect he can explain more.

Dónal.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 03:01:24 PM »
The fifth hole was previously a shortish par-5 with a weird blind dip in front of the green.  I suggested moving the green back to the other side of the dip to make it a par-4, and to allow for a back tee on the par-4 sixth which seemed to be the #1 attraction of that nine.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 07:09:01 AM »
Seeing as Donal has a simultaneous thread going on the Coastguard nine (which has now been removed from the 18), thought I'd post some photos up of the Strand nine (Ruddy + some Doak / Iverson) which now forms the first half of the Old Tom Morris course at Rosapenna... I enjoyed this nine. The greens are a consistent set, the only outrageous one being nine. The bunkering is attractive. The whole course is set very flat lying but with intersting shots and plenty of scope for ground game approaches. The nine is out and back with hole 1 to 6 by the road and then from the wonderful approach / green at 6, it turns in (nearer the dunes of the Sandy Hills course) to provide a chasm one-shotter at the seventh and a great par-5 at the 8th... Although the Valley holes (back nine) outshine this nine for variety, the whole 18 is of a very high standard... Most photo's are of approaches / greens... I was studying them most...

Rosapenna OT 1st Approach 16th Sept 2011 by Ally McIntosh, on Flickr

Rosapenna OT 2nd Tee shot 16th Sept 2011 by Ally McIntosh, on Flickr

Rosapenna OT 3rd Green 16th Sept 2011 by Ally McIntosh, on Flickr

Rosapenna OT 4th Green 16th Sept 2011 by Ally McIntosh, on Flickr

Rosapenna OT 5th Approach 16th Sept 2011 by Ally McIntosh, on Flickr

Rosapenna OT 6th Approach 16th Sept 2011 by Ally McIntosh, on Flickr

Rosapenna OT 7th Tee shot 1 16th Sept 2011 by Ally McIntosh, on Flickr

Rosapenna OT 8th Approach 16th Sept 2011 by Ally McIntosh, on Flickr

Rosapenna OT 9th Green 16th Sept 2011 by Ally McIntosh, on Flickr

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 12:43:57 PM »
Ally

It doesn't look that flat to me in fact it looks as though its got some really nice contours. From the little I've seen of Pat Ruddy's work, its better than expected, assuming of course TD and his team hasn't redone all those greens/approaches. Anyway, I can see why you enjoyed it.

Niall

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 04:31:05 PM »
Niall and Ally,

I totally agree...what lovely looking ground! I've always heard that area was a must visit when over to golf on the Emerald Isle. I've yet to get there, but certainly would put that stop on a short list for that part of the swing.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 08:29:50 AM »
It must have been difficult for Colt to have to route several of the holes around the coastguard station when such fabulous land was just crying out for golf holes. I don't know the reasons why this land was not used, but thankfully - after a short delay of about 100 years - this land has finally been used for golf. There's enough movement in both the fairways and greens to keep the golfer interested; any more and it would fit awkwardly with the second nine in the valley. In my opinion, this is the better course at Rosapenna, but luckily with 45 holes available, you don't have to limit yourself to just 18.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back